Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2017 6:02:29 PM EDT
I'd like to start with a budget gun. I was thinking about getting one of these but the main thing I don't like about it is it doesn't have the magazine floorplate. If I got the ADL could I add an aftermarket unit to let it use detachable mags?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You could, but why?  For a good entry level budget precision rifle find an older Rem 700 VS in .308 and go from there.  The HS precision stock can easily be inletted for Badger or Surgeon bottom metal.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one. Could not get decent groups. More like patterns.  Ultimately ended up sending it to ER Shaw and had it rebarreled to .257 Roberts. And installed a Boyds stock and BDL bottom metal
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Honestly, a hunting rifle doesn't need a magazine.  I had a Master Smith build my Rem 700 that I have a couple of grand in.  I excluded a mag on purpose, went with a Brown Precision stock.

Actually philosophically thinking a hunting rifle shouldn't have a mag for a myriad number of reasons.  YMMV.

There are some damn fine entry level guns out there, I like used.  Hunting rifles usually have really low round counts in used guns, I'd look there.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Agreed with what's already been said.

Mag fed is nice but not what I'd call a must have.

Filled every big game tag I have ever been given and not one has been with a detach mag setup.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#5]
OP wasn't asking about hunting rifles, this is the PR sub forum and he was asking about converting an ADL to a DBM.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#6]
OP,

The answer to your question is "yes", though you are going to want to replace the factory tupperware stock when you convert to DBM setup.

I took a 700 ADL Varmint 308 and dropped it into a Magpul Hunter 700 with DBM; this is easily the most cost-effective and highest value way to do what you are asking.  

That 700 ADL Varmint was a legitimate 3/4 MOA rifle with 168gr Amax, too; I was actually very pleasantly surprised at how well it shot for the <$400 the rifle cost.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FZJ80:
OP wasn't asking about hunting rifles, this is the PR sub forum and he was asking about converting an ADL to a DBM.
View Quote
p

Shit, my bad, I don't know where I read he was planning on using rifle for hunting.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:19:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Remyrw] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By avboiler11:
OP,

The answer to your question is "yes", though you are going to want to replace the factory tupperware stock when you convert to DBM setup.

I took a 700 ADL Varmint 308 and dropped it into a Magpul Hunter 700 with DBM; this is easily the most cost-effective and highest value way to do what you are asking.  

That 700 ADL Varmint was a legitimate 3/4 MOA rifle with 168gr Amax, too; I was actually very pleasantly surprised at how well it shot for the <$400 the rifle cost.
View Quote
I did pretty much the same thing with a 223 version, works great. I polished up the contact points for the bolt so it glides rather than grinds, adjusted the trigger slightly and gave the stock a pretty paint job. I'm quite happy with how the rifle operates now. My particular example shoots decently, certainly in the 1moa or under range with good ammo now. I haven't used it enough since I finished tweaking things to know if I'm going to change anything else, but so far I'm pretty satisfied as is. I wanted a gun for prone and bench practice out to 200 yards, since that's the furthest at my normal range. I use polymer mags I got from Brownell's, don't remember the exact name. They work nicely and save me the hassle of top loading under a scope. It's not so bad in the summer, bare fingers and not numb... The only change since the pic, other than wear and tear, is the addition of a rail piece up front and a LaRue / Harris QD bipod when shooting prone.

Something to keep in mind if you buy an ADL then change to a stock with DBM, order the right screws. Technically only one is too short once you change the stock and add DBM, but a nice matched set is worth it just for pride of ownership and doing the job right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top