Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2017 9:39:59 AM EDT
Hi all,
I had a Remington 700 custom rifle with a Lilja barrel re-chambered to 22-250 by a local gunsmith and am getting some sticking brass (won't extract). When I look at the chamber and brass I can see and feel some slight "chatter" from the reamer, is there a hone or way I can polish that chamber a bit? I know that some are going to say to take it back to the smith that worked on it, but we have already been down that road...and I won't go down it again
I can get hones at Brownells, but they are not quite the right size, any Ideas??
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#1]
If you don't mind me asking, why can't you go back to the smith? Any smith worth his salt would fix their fuck up..... I'd still go back to the smith until he got it right...
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Try letting the chamber get really dirty. Only half kidding.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#3]
it took him 6 months to F it up, the 3 more to try to fix it the second time, and 30 days the third.....no more
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:14:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Take the gun to Nat Lambeth in Youngsville to get it straightened out.

He will probably set the barrel back one thread and re-ream.  He uses high pressure flush and knows what he is doing.

You have a fine barrel worth getting fixed to make it correct.
View Quote
Thank You!!  Perfect!! do you have any contact info for this gentleman? I can run it up there next weekend..
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Found it, Ill shoot him an email when I get to work in the morning. Thanks again for your help
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I ordered some chamber hones from BRM Flex hone along with their honing oil. I purchased a 400 grit and an 800 grit hone, and followed their direction to a T...I  disassembled the rifle and was able to hone the chamber through the receiver. I had it out to the range yesterday, and it seems that the problem is solved as all cartridges extracted cleanly. I came home, cleaned the brass I had just shot, neck sized it and reloaded it. they chamber smoothly and extract easily...I think I'm back in business!!! I highly recommend this hones!!

Flex Hone
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice!  Glad that is working out.  Good luck and good job!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#11]
They do have them for bolt bodies, I was contemplating getting one myself
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I looked and didn't see anything specific mentioned for bolt bodies, however they make all sorts of hones in all sorts of shapes and sizes, I had to call them to get the specific hones for the 22-250. I would call them when you get a chance, I bet they can get you fixed up!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top