Posted: 3/27/2017 4:01:16 PM EDT
Click me

Might have to get one...
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't say anything about taking PMAGs
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#2]
For what it's worth, my RPR, in 6.5, takes pmags.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Sonofabitch. I just spent a lot of money on a custom in AICS AX chassis to be my trainer for my RPR comp gun.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FoxDen:
For what it's worth, my RPR, in 6.5, takes pmags.
View Quote
Well yeah I have one in 6.5 as well.  I'm just curious if this takes mini-14 style mags or your normal STANAG type AR mag
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I bet that's a lot of fun to shoot

1:7 will support the heavy projectiles too
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Two, 10-round, Ruger AI-Style Precision Rifle magazines
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By robpiat:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By robpiat:
Two, 10-round, Ruger AI-Style Precision Rifle magazines
Yep, this is a good thing. The AI mags will accommodate longer projectiles than PMAGs, GI mags, or any other AR mag.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:24:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spearjunkie] [#8]
You could build a nice AR for less that would shoot just as good and a lot lighter.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:35:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#9]
Originally Posted By Spearjunkie:
You could build a nice AR for less that would shoot just as good and a lot lighter.
View Quote
Yep.  My thoughts exactly.  I'm sure they will sell though.  Not very many production bolt guns out there with the good 1/7 twist.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
Maybe, but being able to load longer and run the really high BC projectiles at decent speeds will be very appealing. Most of my precision AR builds have cost over a grand in parts, so it's not going to be much more expensive.

Bolt guns are inherently easier to shoot precisely, so this may be a great option for someone wanting a fast twist, mag fed precision 223.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#11]
YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

I have been bugging Ruger about this ever since the RPR came out. Now they just have to offer a mag with a longer COAL for the American ranch, or offer a new mag system as an accessory to be able to take the same mags as the 5.56 RPR. They also need to sell the ranch with a slightly heavier profile barrel.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
Maybe, but being able to load longer and run the really high BC projectiles at decent speeds will be very appealing. Most of my precision AR builds have cost over a grand in parts, so it's not going to be much more expensive.

Bolt guns are inherently easier to shoot precisely, so this may be a great option for someone wanting a fast twist, mag fed precision 223.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

HAHA! I thought you quoted yourself at first.

ya, most people dont realize that with the 80gr+ bullets in a 5.56 NATO had the popential to have lets drop at a 1000 yards than a 308 win.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#13]
80gr ELD-M @ 2800fps...run that through a ballistic calculator and tell me how it looks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#15]
If not, there should be.

A 1:7" 223 arguably offers a LOT of advantages on a 308 if your game is punching paper or hitting steel; downsides are you HAVE to reload to see the advantages and relative lack of energy on target.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
huh is there much demand for one of these in 223?
View Quote
Ruger is banking there is

Personally a 1/7 .233/5.56 bolt gun would be nice for reloader's but off the shelf shooters might have a issue

1/7 you want a heavy bullet and match .223 in 75 or higher isn't that much cheaper than .308 in the grand scheme of things
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:26:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lennyo3034] [#17]
View Quote
I am seriously considering selling this (bartlien barreled 700 in .223):

And picking up one of the RPRs in .223.

Compared to the above rifle the Ruger would be lighter, better balanced, more ergonomic, faster cycling, more reprentative of my match rifle and with an aftermarket barrel, more accurate.

For the price it cost to build the above rifle I could easily buy a RPR in .223 with aftermarket barrel, handguard , and trigger.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:02:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Any way to fit the 90 SMK's in there?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By usmcchet9296:

Personally a 1/7 .233/5.56 bolt gun would be nice for reloader's but off the shelf shooters might have a issue

1/7 you want a heavy bullet and match .223 in 75 or higher isn't that much cheaper than .308 in the grand scheme of things
View All Quotes

If you reload it is absolutely cheaper. Nosler had their 80's on sale for like $.12 or $.14 for quite a while 308 bullets rarely go under $.20. That adds up pretty quick.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:48:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
If you reload it is absolutely cheaper. Nosler had their 80's on sale for like $.12 or $.14 for quite a while 308 bullets rarely go under $.20. That adds up pretty quick.
View All Quotes

I think I said that
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:40:12 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
I would say more than that Scout rifle they have.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I think I said that
View All Quotes

I think I said that
It appears you did I was tired and only saw your last paragraph not the one before it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#23]
They did a good job with this.  The mags look like rebranded MDT mags which will let you load out it about 2.500.  That gives a pretty good leap in performance out of .223.  Guys that run 223 to practice with often do this because of the performance game.  I'm not in the market for RPR's but this rifle will do well and is spec'd out correctly.  Using AR mags would have been a huge mistake.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't understand this one bit. To each his own though.

I think once a few of you RPR fans get ahold of this rifle, we should have a little RPR vs AR15 shoot-off for groups @ 100.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

I think once a few of you RPR fans get ahold of this rifle, we should have a little RPR vs AR15 shoot-off for groups @ 100.
View Quote
It's simple.  Guys like to have guns that feel the same as match rifles to shoot 223.  An AR can be plenty accurate, but it doesn't feel like a bolt gun.  If I practiced shooting with a 6 Creedmoor I'd go broke.

Also people who don't shoot out as far this is perfect for a lower price point option. 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Mods to make it in 6.5 grendel could be interdasting...
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By themagikbullet:
Mods to make it in 6.5 grendel could be interdasting...
View Quote
Why not get a lot more performance by just getting an off the shelf 6.5 Creedmoor?

The Grendel is fine for the limitations of the AR magwell. Without those limitations, what's the upside of a Grendel conversion?

I agree that P-mags would have been a huge mistake.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:37:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: themagikbullet] [#28]
Lighter weight/recoil, cheaper ammo are a couple reasons.  

If this was a compliment to a 6.5cr platform and you reload, I suppose you could share projectiles.

Just think it might be neat
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
This is very tempting. Although if I were to get one, I would mod it immediately:

RPR: 1200
Premium barrel: 650
Sell factory barrel: -150

I don't think I can build an AR for 1700 that will shoot with a premium barreled RPR. Actually my current DMR costs considerably more than 1700 and it does not shoot with my rebarreled RPR.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I've owned my RPR .308 since Sep 2015. Love the rifle, its one of my favorite to shoot. Below is my Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56mm that I bought shortly after it was released. I tricked it out using the MDT LSS chassis. Spent way too much on the total rifle (north of $1600 including optic). It's another fun shooter. Can shoot 100rds of plinking ammo in a day and not break the bank. Only con, has a 1 in 9 twist barrel and doesn't like anything above 62gr. With all that said, I'd off the MVP for the RPR .223/5.56. There is a but though, if the rifle only use's AICS magazines, won't buy it. Needs to be like it's big brother and have multi-mag capabilities. I'm waiting for a response from Ruger. 

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
This is very tempting. Although if I were to get one, I would mod it immediately:

I don't think I can build an AR for 1700 that will shoot with a premium barreled RPR. Actually my current DMR costs considerably more than 1700 and it does not shoot with my rebarreled RPR.
View All Quotes

If you buy one I claim your take off barrel!
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By jimmyc2112:

I've owned my RPR .308 since Sep 2015. Love the rifle, its one of my favorite to shoot. Below is my Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56mm that I bought shortly after it was released. I tricked it out using the MDT LSS chassis. Spent way too much on the total rifle (north of $1600 including optic). It's another fun shooter. Can shoot 100rds of plinking ammo in a day and not break the bank. Only con, has a 1 in 9 twist barrel and doesn't like anything above 62gr. With all that said, I'd off the MVP for the RPR .223/5.56. There is a but though, if the rifle only use's AICS magazines, won't buy it. Needs to be like it's big brother and have multi-mag capabilities. I'm waiting for a response from Ruger. 

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-pLnRnN4/0/L/i-pLnRnN4-L.jpg
View Quote
Won't happen.  The AICS pattern mags are the same size as the 308 sized mags, and allows 223 to be loaded out to 2.45" or so which gives the round a pretty big bump in performance.  The MDT mags are fairly in expensive and t was a smart move on their part.  PMAGs have no place in a precision bolt rifle.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
Won't happen.  The AICS pattern mags are the same size as the 308 sized mags, and allows 223 to be loaded out to 2.45" or so which gives the round a pretty big bump in performance.  The MDT mags are fairly in expensive and t was a smart move on their part.  PMAGs have no place in a precision bolt rifle.  
View All Quotes

I don't know about having no place. If your goal is easily accomplished with mag length ammo then cheap quality mags are a win win. Plenty of matches and normal shooting takes place at ranges easily handled by standard ammo

I am glad to see more and more guns adopt the AICS mags though because I hope it will bring us a better mag selection.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#34]
The rifle will only use AICS pattern mags. Reloaders will appreciate that, for the longer pills.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:22:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: andrewz71] [#35]

I don't know about having no place. If your goal is easily accomplished with mag length ammo then cheap quality mags are a win win. Plenty of matches and normal shooting takes place at ranges easily handled by standard ammo

I am glad to see more and more guns adopt the AICS mags though because I hope it will bring us a better mag selection.
View Quote
What I think they are saying is to try and use pmag type mags would mean is a completely different lower reciever part, which means it can only be used as an "extra" short action, unless the lower reciever is swapped.  I am glad to see AICS mags being used, I want to know the ruger mag specs, and price.  Sure pmags are great for a plinking, and a overall inexpensive bolt action, but the rpr platform seems to be more designed around "precision" than "plinking". If the mags run around $20-$30 there is some very minimal cost saving going to use a pmag, but not if you plan on upgrading, and a lower swap costing hundreds of dollars..  Which also limits the "precision" factor by limiting cartridge oal.  Who knows maybe Magpul will start offering .223 AICS pattern mags if everyone starts going towards trainer platforms.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
Not for the parts I would use. And a lighter AR means titanium parts, not cheap by a long shot.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By MDStroup:

HAHA! I thought you quoted yourself at first.

ya, most people dont realize that with the 80gr+ bullets in a 5.56 NATO had the popential to have lets drop at a 1000 yards than a 308 win.
View Quote
85 matchburner. Molon did one heck of a review on those.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By cone256:
Doesn't say anything about taking PMAGs
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Sonofabitch. I just spent a lot of money on a custom in AICS AX chassis to be my trainer for my RPR comp gun.
View Quote
Wow that sucks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#40]
People have been blowing $3-4k dollars for .223 replicas of their match guns for years now.

Ruger won't be able to make these fast enough to keep them in stock for awhile.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:33:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: andrewz71] [#41]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
People have been blowing $3-4k dollars for .223 replicas of their match guns for years now.

Ruger won't be able to make these fast enough to keep them in stock for awhile.
View Quote
Yep 1000%.

I might not have spent $3-4k finishing this trainer a couple months ago.

But even thou I own this trainer and a 6.5 rpr I will still probably buy a 5.56 rpr as well.  Way to go Ruger. . Quality Optics are really starting to get expensive.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:58:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By OldArmy:
Wow that sucks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OldArmy:
Wow that sucks.
I got in a group buy and prepayed for a Howa 6.5 Creedmoor with a XLR Chassis right before the RPR was released. Best part is we were told it was going to be a long wait so the Ruger was out and about for months before our guns shipped. I still think I got a decent value but the Ruger is more what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:19:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Seems like the non-AR mag & associated length capabilities is a huge plus for this. I don't see the problem with buying a few ~$40 mags when you're likely spending $2K on the setup anyway.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm number 1 inline at my LGS.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:36:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#45]

View All Quotes

No he is right, you would be ruining an otherwise great setup, just to use a fucking pmag, what's the point?  The 7 twist is for using proper long range bullets most of which don't seat to pmag length.

Wish I would have known about this before I built my Grendel upper. Between the loading stuff and upper costs I would almost be at the same $$$.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
No he is right, you would be ruining an otherwise great setup, just to use a fucking pmag, what's the point?  The 7 twist is for using proper long range bullets most of which don't seat to pmag length.

Wish I would have known about this before I built my Grendel upper. Between the loading stuff and upper costs I would almost be at the same $$.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By popnfresh:

Wish I would have known about this before I built my Grendel upper. Between the loading stuff and upper costs I would almost be at the same $$.
If it were pointless mossberg wouldn't be sellin them by the truckload. Like I said for what I want the aics mags are much better suited as is the fast twist but he vast majority of casual target shooters are plenty happy with 55-75gr ammo out of AR mags
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#47]

If it were pointless mossberg wouldn't be sellin them by the truckload. Like I said for what I want the aics mags are much better suited as is the fast twist but he vast majority of casual target shooters are plenty happy with 55-75gr ammo out of AR mags
View Quote
I get what you're saying. However I think the price of the RPR is a little steep for "casual target shooters". I know I tried to talk my friends into one and the $1000 price tag was just too high. Some have spent the $400ish on the mossberg though. I think the Ruger is targeting a different market.

That being said, the "lower" or "chassis" portion of the RPR is what holds the magazine and is not serialized. It would be relatively easy to manufacture a second version of it to accept Pmags. That would be very cool if Ruger did something like that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:13:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: andrewz71] [#48]
Doing it the way Ruger did puts a new caliber to market with minimal cost. While allowing customers less expense to upgrade to different calipers with either a barrel swap or barrel and bolt swap. As well as allowing customers the ability to run 55gr. Plinking to 85gr. Precision shooting.

To Design and make a whole new lower just to run cheap ar15 mags loses the ability to run the longer cartridge oal, or more than 1/2 of the rifles potential customers to gain a few customers that want to run a mid priced "precision" rig with cheap mags to get marginal to ok accuracy.  That is unless the lower could be design to run pmags as well as AICS, etc mags, but I don't see that happening.  

The way Ruger has done it we might see 6.5 grendal, 6.8 spc, 300 Blk., 22-250, etc.

If they were going to go thru the hassle of designing a new lower I would rather see a option to run glock or 1911 mags to make a 9mm, or 45acp rig.  But thats just me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote
Not to sound like an elitist, but that is a totally different target market.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Beneviolence:
Seems like the non-AR mag & associated length capabilities is a huge plus for this. I don't see the problem with buying a few ~$40 mags when you're likely spending $2K on the setup anyway.
View Quote
I bought 15 mags for my AIAT at $70/ea so $40 seems almost cheap
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top