Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2017 4:18:21 PM EDT

I've had the Savage BA Stealth in for about 6 months now and done a good bit of shooting with it; both suppressed and unsuppressed.   My thoughts:

Pros:
Monolithic Chassis
MLOK forend
fluted barrel
standard 5/8'' threads
takes AI mags (including PMAGs)
lighter than most rifles in its' class
accuracy has been solid (shown in video)

Cons:
stock looks funny but is functional
factory magazine, when fully loaded, swells to the point of being very difficult to insert/seat

Full review:

Savage BA Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor & Weaver Tactical 6-30x Scope Review (HD)
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Good video and shooting...thanks for posting
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#2]
What kinds of groups are getting with factory ammo?

Not enough signal to watch video.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:42:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spearjunkie] [#3]
I was able to take mine out for the first time this past weekend. Went 5 for 5 on the 600 yard 10" Gongs and 4 for 6 at the 1K yard 24 x 24 plate using factory Hornady 147 ELD suppressed.  I did change the stock out to an XLR and a side folder due to the factory one needing a hammer to slide it.  O
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Just picked one up, waiting for my glass.
I'm impressed with fit and finish so far.
The chassis is really nice.

I swapped out the stock for a Luth-AR model and put it on the MDT side folder.
I also swapped out the 0 MOA rail for the EGW HD Stealth 20 MOA version.
Added an ASR  brake for use with my Omega.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:12:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#5]
sortawant.jpg

ETA good review too
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:49:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spearjunkie] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
Just picked one up, waiting for my glass.
I'm impressed with fit and finish so far.
The chassis is really nice.

I swapped out the stock for a Luth-AR model and put it on the MDT side folder.
I also swapped out the 0 MOA rail for the EGW HD Stealth 20 MOA version.
Added an ASR  brake for use with my Omega.
View Quote
I also put the EGW 20 MOA and running it with my Crux Ark 30.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I've also been really curious about this rifle since it was announced. I'm optimistic that it's groups will be at a minimum on par with the factory RPR barrel.

Does anyone know what shank size this barrel uses?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By assaultdog0351:
What kinds of groups are getting with factory ammo?

Not enough signal to watch video.
View Quote
IIRC, in the video he shoots two 5 shot groups, one with Federal American Eagle and the other Federal Fusion.  Both were easily under 1 moa, and the first one was probably less than 1/2 moa if you took the one shot out that could reasonably be considered an anomalous flyer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:52:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jfk] [#9]
Thanks Mr Gunsngear for the review.  I bought one of these over Christmas and ordered the fixed stock adapter and the MDT Tac skeletonized fixed stock.  I plan to get to the range in a few weeks after catching up around the house.  I ordered a 20 MOA base from EGW.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Spearjunkie:
I was able to take mine out for the first time this past weekend. Went 5 for 5 on the 600 yard 10" Gongs and 4 for 6 at the 1K yard 24 x 24 plate using factory Hornady 147 ELD suppressed.  I did change the stock out to an XLR and a side folder due to the factory one needing a hammer to slide it.  O
View Quote
That's some good wind calls there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Did you leave the 0 MOA base on it? I understand they come with #8 screws? I cannot find a 20 MOA base that will fit this rifle. Looks like you would have to get a base, drill out the holes and reuse the larger screws that came with the rifle and EGW base?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spearjunkie] [#12]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
Did you leave the 0 MOA base on it? I understand they come with #8 screws? I cannot find a 20 MOA base that will fit this rifle. Looks like you would have to get a base, drill out the holes and reuse the larger screws that came with the rifle and EGW base?
View Quote
EGW sells a base for the Savage Stealth that already is drilled out to accommodate the larger screws.  Yes I put a 20 MOA scope rail and you have to reuse the factory screws.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
The proper 20MOA base is the EGW HD Stealth base.
It is solid.
The cheaper one with the V groove for BUIS can be had with the option of drilling.
But the HD comes that way already.

Item 80302-8

http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-rings/hd-savage-stealth-model-20-moa/
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
I did.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:40:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newBMowner] [#15]
My 6.5CM Stealth's receiver was set up for 8-40 screws.  I purchased a Nightforce 20MOA replacement base for a Savage Model 10 (either the EGW Stealth specific rail was not out back then or I didn't realize it existed), but it came with 6-48 screws...so I had to use a drill to enlarge the holes in the Nightforce base to get new 8-40 screws that I purchased through them.  The screws I used to install the replacement base were 8-40 and were 1/4" long Oval Heads...they seem to work fine.  Everything is setup now and the rifle shoots great. Maybe this information will help someone...it took me a bit to gather info on what I needed since there wasn't much info on the Stealths out there back when I bought mine.

I chose the Nightforce 20MOA base because it was one of the few that did not extend out forward of the receiver (like the cantilever rail on the factory base did).  It allowed me to get the scope a bit further rearward without the objective lens of the scope interfering with the base/rail (a full extra slot further back on the rail while using the same height rings)...for this rifle/stock combination getting the scope further to the rear worked better for me.  It was also fairly cheap as far as bases go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top