Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2017 4:31:12 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting my first precision .308, a savage 10FLCP.  Though I am right handed, I have to shoot lefty because of my eyes.  I have a few bolt action .22s and one, a Marlin 981, which I put a scope and bipod on.  None are left handed.  I shoot from prone, using my right hand and a bag/pad/whatever as a stock support.  I find that it seems to be a pain to get back in a good position after removing my right hand to cycle the bolt.

Will a lefty bolt be more comfortable and alleviate this issue?  Anything else I should be thinking about as a left handed shooter?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the same boat and I have talked to many gunmakers about it.  I get many varied responses from them, "building left handed is tricky", "it's the only way to go", and so on.  You can find many videos of folks shooting left handed and using their right hand to function the bolt or scope adjustments.  First, it is hard to sell left handed guns.  Second, If you are comfortable shooting like you have been, keep on.  To me, it's hard shooting either way at different times, so I have to stick with my dominate eye.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen enough left-handed shooters run right-bolt guns fast, that I've considered getting a left bolt for myself.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
This is relevant to my interests. I think at a prs type match shooting off barricades and whatnot, something where you really have to build a position leftys should have left handed bolt actions, but they're dang hard to find without spending an arm and a leg on a custom.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are shooting with the front of the gun supported (bipod, bags, barricade), as a lefty, I find that a right handed bolt gun is easier to manipulate.

When shooting unsupported or offhand, the left handed bolt gun for shooting lefty works better.
As such, my hunting rifle is a left handed bolt. I figure if I need a 2nd shot when hunting, it will not be from a supported position.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 98Redline:
If you are shooting with the front of the gun supported (bipod, bags, barricade), as a lefty, I find that a right handed bolt gun is easier to manipulate.

When shooting unsupported or offhand, the left handed bolt gun for shooting lefty works better.
As such, my hunting rifle is a left handed bolt. I figure if I need a 2nd shot when hunting, it will not be from a supported position.
View Quote
Even prone supported I find I have to reposition every time I cycle the bolt.  Maybe this will improve with a more purpose built rear support bag.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 98Redline:

View Quote
As a lefty, This guy nailed it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I am left eye dominant and shoot left handed.  

I have rifles in both configs.  I tend to shoot a right bolt right port action because it's easier to manipulate in the prone F-Class position.   I hunt with a true left/left bolt action because of speed of follow up shots if needed.

You can get custom actions with right bolt/left port (ejected)  if you want and some do just so they don't have to move at all.

As for leftys being harder to get it depends.  I've seen them for sale but they get bought quickly and so it seems like they are not a lot of them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Full blown lefty here.... since I was a kid all I have owned and fired were right configured bolt guns, even went the distance on a right hand precsion build and all.  Not too long ago I decided to do a precsion rimfire, this time I went with a lefty 452.  Naturally, for me...it just feels right. (no pun intended)

I learned over time to be effecient at working a right bolt in certain postions,  but for me I didn't see the compromise worthy anymore once I really started getting behind the lefty action.  Especially having to get off target to cycle the action in certain situations/ positions.  Having the rifle supported by anything but my right hand makes things easier, but any offhand shooting, or position involving having to use my right hand as support puts it at a disadvantage.  After all these years shooting a righty I feel why try and make it work some of the time if I can get something that does all the time.

After the 452 build , I decided its time to go full blown lefty with all my bolt guns.  For me,  personally after all these years I feel there is no real advantage nor will I ever miss being lefty and shooting a right action for what I would consider a general purpose bolt action rifle.  I started collecting parts for a lefty custom build just beginning of this month.  Ptg has a few lefty 700 actions, and an email reply from Stiller confirms they have lefty Tac 30's ready to ship.  Parts are getting a easier to find and there are smiths who are setup fairly well for left hand action work.

Just my xp, YMMV.

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I shoot a left handed rifle right handed exactly for this reason. When I shoot metallic silhouette competition we're standing up shooting offhand so position building is critical. With a lefty rifle I cycle the bolt with my non-fire-control hand meaning that my trigger hand is always in the same spot. Helps me build my stance much quicker and I can see directly into the chamber without tilting the gun during reload/unload operations. When prone or position shooting I use right handed guns because that's what I have for those ATM but I have used lefties and cut a number of seconds from my times by being able to move my support hand to cycle the bolt. The big benefit of using an opposite handed rifle when prone is cycling the bolt with my off-hand means I don't have to come off the gun to do so so I can re-acquire targets and transition much quicker, sometimes while cycling the bolt.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Eye dominance is more important than hand dominance.   Shoot using your dominant eye.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I switched to all left handed actions many years ago because I was tired of losing my sight picture and cheek weld by moving my support hand to cycle the right handed actions. Every time you do this you have to reset, which isn't good shot-to-shot. I figure if it were such an advantage, right handers would all be running left handed guns and that's not the case.

I love running the bolt properly using the strong hand. Rapid follow up shots while cycling the bolt are easy and I don't lose sight picture other than briefly under recoil.

Go lefty and don't look back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top