Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
After fondling it for the past hour, first impressions are it seems like a hell of a rifle out of the box. I threw a viper PST 6x24 with Seekins low rings and it barely clears the barrel, less than 1/16".

The function of the tikka just seems tighter and higher quality than the 700. Can't wait to take it out to the range.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
For the time being, I just put on a viper PST 6x24 with Seekins low rings, barely clears the barrel. It does have the 0 MOA base that came with the rifle, not sure if a 20 MOA base would clear the barrel.

Will try and get a picture up here soon.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LayingLow:
What optics and rings are you guys running on the Tikka?
Manufacturer's/stock bases?

Thanks!
View Quote
Nightforce 20 MOA base, Nightforce Ultralight rings, Vortex Razor GII
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By LayingLow:
What optics and rings are you guys running on the Tikka?
Manufacturer's/stock bases?

Thanks!
View Quote
Vortex viper pst 4-16x50 ffp moa and vortex viper medium height rings with stock base. 
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked mine up today. I can't believe the price on these. My FFL said he can't get them from his distributor at that price.

Whittakers was great to deal with. Quick responses, quick shipping. Very happy so far, and hope it shoots as good as everyone says it will.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 6:37:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Whittaker's sent out a sale email yesterday.  Code MOVINGDAY is supposed to be good for 5% off through May 15.  Looks like they are excluding two Tikkas (JRTXB314R8 and JRTXB314R8LH Lite 22-250's?) a Smith & Wesson and a Ruger.

You guys might try it and see if you can go even cheaper.  I already got mine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you guys getting the 20"? I see OOS on the 24".
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By twistedLV:
Are you guys getting the 20"? I see OOS on the 24".
View Quote
Yeah they're OOS on the 24" now it looks like. They were as well when I tried to order but it seems like they get new ones in every 2 weeks or so.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Beneviolence:

Yeah they're OOS on the 24" now it looks like. They were as well when I tried to order but it seems like they get new ones in every 2 weeks or so.
View Quote
Thanks. I'm on the email list, maybe I'll get lucky in the near future. But for the distances I shoot, and wanting to hunt as well, a 20" would probably be just fine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered the stainless 24" through Grab a Gun. Now deciding on optic...
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Anybody have any experience w/ switching bottom metal for the CTR?  I've been contemplating switching over to the AICS pattern mags just because of availability of the CTR mags but haven't found much out there.  Looks like Mountain Tactical and Atlas Worxs are the only two currently available.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:07:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: robpiat] [#13]
Originally Posted By MisterTwo:
Anybody have any experience w/ switching bottom metal for the CTR?  I've been contemplating switching over to the AICS pattern mags just because of availability of the CTR mags but haven't found much out there.  Looks like Mountain Tactical and Atlas Worxs are the only two currently available.
View Quote
I don't think it makes a ton of sense unless you are changing the stock. Do you really have a use for more than one or two mags?

If you get a chassis or another stock you can sell off your tikka mags/DBM for $200 or so to help cover it.

With some patience somebody will be cranking out a quality aftermarket mag
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#14]
The CTR mags are a little more expensive and harder to find but I like them better. More room inside and smaller size.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By robpiat:

I don't think it makes a ton of sense unless you are changing the stock. Do you really have a use for more than one or two mags?

If you get a chassis or another stock you can sell off your tikka mags/DBM for $200 or so to help cover it.

With some patience somebody will be cranking out a quality aftermarket mag
View Quote
After thinking about it today, I pretty much came to the same conclusion.  I ordered a XLR Element chassis today.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mathecb:
The CTR mags are a little more expensive and harder to find but I like them better. More room inside and smaller size.
View Quote
I agree completely, I plan to get a Manners stock and use the factory CTR bottom metal and mag. I think the mags are a lot better than the AICS mags.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Aby001:

I agree completely, I plan to get a Manners stock and use the factory CTR bottom metal and mag. I think the mags are a lot better than the AICS mags.
View Quote
100% agree! Love the CTR mags and won't be switching regardless of what stock I use.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:15:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 155mm] [#18]
Originally Posted By JimTh:
Whittaker's sent out a sale email yesterday.  Code MOVINGDAY is supposed to be good for 5% off through May 15.  Looks like they are excluding two Tikkas (JRTXB314R8 and JRTXB314R8LH Lite 22-250's?) a Smith & Wesson and a Ruger.

You guys might try it and see if you can go even cheaper.  I already got mine.
View Quote
I was going to get a 20" blued, but they were sold out the next day. I ordered a 20" stainless CTR last night instead.

The MOVINGDAY code worked for the cart and invoice/PO at checkout, but the shipping notification today reflected the full price. I forwarded them the email invoice/po to see if they will check on it for me, since this isn't one of the excluded items.

Edit: holy crap that was a fast response from them. They are only charging the invoiced price, as their automated system didn't reflect the manual discount they apply when charging. Talk about fast customer service...

Now to figure out a scope... thinking something like a Burris XTR 2-10x42. First bolt action rifle for me, so would be using it for playing at the range and possibly hunting if I ever get into that... less than 600 yard shooting for me, mostly 100-300 yards really.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 155mm:

I was going to get a 20" blued, but they were sold out the next day. I ordered a 20" stainless CTR last night instead.

The MOVINGDAY code worked for the cart and invoice/PO at checkout, but the shipping notification today reflected the full price. I forwarded them the email invoice/po to see if they will check on it for me, since this isn't one of the excluded items.

Edit: holy crap that was a fast response from them. They are only charging the invoiced price, as their automated system didn't reflect the manual discount they apply when charging. Talk about fast customer service...

Now to figure out a scope... thinking something like a Burris XTR 2-10x42. First bolt action rifle for me, so would be using it for playing at the range and possibly hunting if I ever get into that... less than 600 yard shooting for me, mostly 100-300 yards really.
View Quote
Take a look at the sightron 2-10 or 3-16. I have both
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#20]
If anyone is leaving CTR mags to switch to cheaper AICS mags shoot me a PM with your price for your mag for sale
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Where is everyone buying their mags from?

Also, what grain bullet seems to be working the best in this rifle?  I picked one up but need to get Ammo for it.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Blasternank:

Also, what grain bullet seems to be working the best in this rifle?  I picked one up but need to get Ammo for it.  

Thanks
View Quote
I think the preferred bullets are the 140 ELD-M, (nosler) RDF, Berger, or SMK. No idea on the mags, I'm in the same boat as you on that one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Blasternank:

Thanks
View Quote
147 for the win.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Dumb question, guys.
How do those bipods mount on the front of your rifles? In sling swivel hole? Mount needed?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Most bipods mount to the sling swivel on the forearm of the stock.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Whittaker is running a 15% off sale and the T3x 6.5 creed 24" is eligible for the sale. so you can get one for $697
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By fn_hipower:
Whittaker is running a 15% off sale and the T3x 6.5 creed 24" is eligible for the sale. so you can get one for $697
View Quote
Seriously considering picking one of these up for an all purpose hunter. Have a LRHS to go on it already. How's the weight and balance of these with the factory stock?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a 20" and I think it's a bit nose heavy. Not bad though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By fn_hipower:
View Quote
I just found this deal and couldn't resist. Been eyeing these rifles for a while. Will be a good alternative to my Rem 700 308 16.5".

Now I need to find some glass....
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By RJH1911:

I just found this deal and couldn't resist. Been eyeing these rifles for a while. Will be a good alternative to my Rem 700 308 16.5".

Now I need to find some glass....
View Quote
It got me too.  I went with the stainless model.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#31]
How do you get the 15% off?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I requested the price to be emailed to me, which then sends an email with the price and an add to cart button.  I added the rifle to the cart and then went through the checkout and then right before you confirm the order there is a box to put in a promotional code I put in SALE (all caps) and it took 15% off.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:18:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Just ordered TIKKA T3X CTR 6.5 CRD 24" (JRTXC382CA) 819.99. Discount Code SALE brought the price to 712.98 shipped. Incredible price.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Idaholandho:
Just ordered TIKKA T3X CTR 6.5 CRD 24" (JRTXC382CA) 819.99. Discount Code SALE brought the price to 712.98 shipped. Incredible price.
View Quote
You must've gotten the last one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By chewbacca:
Damn
View Quote
I just got a plain t3x varmint in .223, a CTR would be sweet. Paid about the same as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:

You must've gotten the last one.
View Quote
nope, I did  
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#37]
This deal price was great. I had bought a 20" CTR Stainless 6.5 on Saturday and then bought the 24" CTR Stainless 6.5 in the sale figuring it came out cheaper than the 20" not on sale. I called to cancel the 20" order and the guys at Whittaker were nice enough to match the sale price even though it's currently out of stock. Really like this store. Looks like I'll have two CTRs on the way. I can decide which length I like and sell the other to my brother :) win/win.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Couldn't pass it up either. Was eyeing a Savage for $550. Think this will be a nicer rifle for not much more money.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Hilljack:
Couldn't pass it up either. Was eyeing a Savage for $550. Think this will be a nicer rifle for not much more money.
View Quote
Damn right. Savages are crude things. Rough machining, so many parts. Tikka bolt is amazingly smooth.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#40]
I hate y'all. I was perfectly happy 3 gunning and never having to shoot out past 500. On a whim, I come into this forum and the wannabe sniper in me comes out. After some research, it doesn't seem like the T3x can be beat in terms of value especially at this price. I will own one.

I wasn't planning on getting into long range shooting until I was too old to shoot 3 gun...oh well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 2:24:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By PredatOBR:
I hate y'all. I was perfectly happy 3 gunning and never having to shoot out past 500. On a whim, I come into this forum and the wannabe sniper in me comes out. After some research, it doesn't seem like the T3x can be beat in terms of value especially at this price. I will own one.

I wasn't planning on getting into long range shooting until I was too old to shoot 3 gun...oh well.
View Quote
What caliber did you go with? I think the stainless and blued CTR 6.5mm Creedmoor in both lengths are out of stock.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By m_later:

What caliber did you go with? I think the stainless and blued CTR 6.5mm Creedmoor in both lengths are out of stock.
View Quote
I haven't ordered one yet. Almost picked up the blued, 20", .260 for $695 but I'd like the 24" barrel. I'm fine with either caliber, but I don't think the .260 comes in 24"?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:16:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dashingdog] [#43]

Thank you!
Just ordered T3X CTR Stainless in 308 Win.
You just saved me about $400 !
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Looking at 6.5 creedmore but would appreciate pros and cons of 20" vs 24". Will be used mainly at the range up to 700 yards. Often windy in the canyon. Live in California so a suppressor is NOT in my future.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Stainless is back in stock @ Whittaker
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Paul49:
Looking at 6.5 creedmore but would appreciate pros and cons of 20" vs 24". Will be used mainly at the range up to 700 yards. Often windy in the canyon. Live in California so a suppressor is NOT in my future.
View Quote
Either one would be fine for what you are wanting. The 20" barrel makes for a slightly handier rifle if you are carrying it in and around brush/thick undercover, and the shorter barrel is always easier to maneuver inside a hunting blind. That being said, if you are just carrying it from your vehicle to the firing line at the range, it really doesn't matter, either one will easily get you to 1000+ yards. You will be happy with either one, because, well, it's a TIKKA!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Picked up my 24 inch ctr in stainless today.  Now have to decide on a scope.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:49:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fsjdw2] [#49]
Originally Posted By Idaholandho:
Stainless is back in stock @ Whittaker
View Quote
stock minus 1
This place cost me 850 bucks(plus scope(Vortex PST FFP 6-24, iluminated(dont really care), 650 on sale!!! 1k plus package for 1500 bucks im VERY happy.)
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:12:44 AM EDT
[#50]
I managed to get the Viper PST II 5-25 from ScopeList as they had it in stock this week. Got a good deal on it too. Not as low as the $650 PST 6-24, but I'm happy with price paid

Now need to figure out correct height Seekins/Vortex Precision rings
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top