Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2016 7:35:42 AM EDT
There's a new Savage Rifle coming down the pipeline fellas to take on the RPR, and it's not the 10ba Stealth!
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 8:01:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SilentDeath12886] [#1]
Originally Posted By coyotekillerNE:
There's a new Savage Rifle coming down the pipeline fellas to take on the RPR, and it's not the 10ba Stealth!
View Quote

Details please. I might be putting a deposit down on a Ruger RPR today unless I hear of another good option with similar features.

The Stealth was unappealing to me as it was just a Savage action in a chassis. The only really nice feature it offered was that it was "trued" already.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 8:04:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: coyotekillerNE] [#2]
Well, you'll probably be just as disappointed with this then. Going to have a far higher price point than the Ruger Precision I think due to the company involved; however, it's waaay better looking than the Stealth MDT chassis IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#3]
So you're gonna throw this out there without any details?
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe it looks like this! Details are sketchy...Going to be another trued/blueprinted Model 10 in an Ashbury Precision Saber Mrcs-ar Folding Chassis!
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#5]
If it's going to compete with the RPR it's going to need to be closer to the RPR price point.   There are definitely some pros I can see such as being able to use good aftermarket barrels such as criterion.  Cons from where I sit are likely going to be price then the issues with it being a savage. If they are trying to market a PRS style rig they need something that people can count on to kick cases out of the gun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 10:13:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SilentDeath12886] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
If it's going to compete with the RPR it's going to need to be closer to the RPR price point.   There are definitely some pros I can see such as being able to use good aftermarket barrels such as criterion.  Cons from where I sit are likely going to be price then the issues with it being a savage. If they are trying to market a PRS style rig they need something that people can count on to kick cases out of the gun.
View Quote

Agreed.  The whole popularity of the RPR is the modularity, features, precision and incredible price point. Ruger put together a lot of nice features together under a very good price point. Having a $1500+ base Savage action in a fancy chassis is not really competing with the RPR.

RPR with 70* bolt throw, 3 lugs, magazine capability SR25 and AICS, barrel nut that uses AR15 wrenches, fully adjustable stock, modular forend/AR15 compatible AR15 forends, AR15 style safety(vs top tank safety), enlarged bolt handle.

Savage is just playing dress up with their existing rifles when Ruger built/designed a new rifle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 10:56:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#7]
When talking to Savage about the 10T 6.5cm, the sales lady told me about this one. Said it will be out in the fall. No other details. If that is the ashberry, doesn't look to bad. But as posted above, price point will hurt sales. With Savage coming out with a RPR clone, when will the rest come out to compete?
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, I'll bet the Savage will be more accurate out of the box. The RPR's haven't been turning in the best results that I've seen. Tragically, RPR's seem to be printing average results that are more appropriate for a hunting rifle than a precision rifle which is right in line with what I've come to expect from Ruger. Just average. Savage's precision guns at least routinely turn in the small groups out of the box that we'd expect from a target rifle.

Final price point will be a major factor but so will the actual construction of the rifle and things like blueprinting/truing and what kinds of mags it'll accept being additional big factors in final acceptance by the marketplace.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm interested to see what they run. I read that the MSRP is around $1799 and is going to be available in 6.5 CM.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BushmasterGuy77:
I'm interested to see what they run. I read that the MSRP is around $1799 and is going to be available in 6.5 CM.
View Quote

The stealths will be cheaper with trued and blueprinted for around $1200. Got to admit, the RPR with the right barreled replacement is still around 2 grand. $1799 is pretty high unless its a tac driver out of the box.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:

The stealths will be cheaper with trued and blueprinted for around $1200. Got to admit, the RPR with the right barreled replacement is still around 2 grand. $1799 is pretty high unless its a tac driver out of the box.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah, it will probably be around $1500 street price. I know the stealth is cheaper, and should be a very capable rifle for it's intended role, but that fucking MDT chassis. Ugh.

I still want an RPR in 6.5.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
Well, I'll bet the Savage will be more accurate out of the box. The RPR's haven't been turning in the best results that I've seen. Tragically, RPR's seem to be printing average results that are more appropriate for a hunting rifle than a precision rifle which is right in line with what I've come to expect from Ruger. Just average. Savage's precision guns at least routinely turn in the small groups out of the box that we'd expect from a target rifle.

Final price point will be a major factor but so will the actual construction of the rifle and things like blueprinting/truing and what kinds of mags it'll accept being additional big factors in final acceptance by the marketplace.
View Quote

Bro, do you even snipershide?  They compared it to an AI (or was it a Sako), and for practical accuracy they got essentially the same results.  the RPR isn't a benchrest gun or something.  It's not going to shoot like one.  But guys do get around 3/4MOA stock
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

The only RPR's that aren't shooting spectacularly from what I have seen are the 308's.  The 243's and 6.5CM's are shooting great.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jlficken:

The only RPR's that aren't shooting spectacularly from what I have seen are the 308's.  The 243's and 6.5CM's are shooting great.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jlficken:

Have heard the same thing. Rebarrel for better performance if needed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 3:31:57 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

My 6.5 RPR is accurate enough that I was able to walk onto a range I had never been to before, compete with, and out shoot more than a few custom rifles at the long range match at Rayner's in Ohio last month
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Beachhead0:

Bro, do you even snipershide?  They compared it to an AI (or was it a Sako), and for practical accuracy they got essentially the same results.  the RPR isn't a benchrest gun or something.  It's not going to shoot like one.  But guys do get around 3/4MOA stock
View All Quotes

It was an AI rifle. And considering the cost, spend $1000 on an RPR and $700 for an LRI barrel (all you need is a barrel vice and AR15 armorers wrench), you are only a little over the Savage "street" price and you have a rifle with an aftermarket barrel.  When snipershide rebarrelled the RPR with an LRI pre-chambered 6.5C, they had significantly better results over the factory barrel.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

No, I don't. I actually get out and compete and see things first hand.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

What kind of competing?
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By USMC0928:
http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/10BA

From Savage.
View Quote

I know it never sells for MSRP, but $2440?!
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Originally Posted By USMC0928:
http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/10BA

From Savage.

That particular rifle is not being discussed in this thread. Thats the old model.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By TSU45:
What kind of competing?
View All Quotes
What kind of competing?

Mostly silhouettes from what I've seen.

[url=https://ladygeekgirl.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/watch-out-we-got-a-bad-ass-over-here.jpg]https://ladygeekgirl.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/watch-out-we-got-a-bad-ass-over-here.jpg

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:26:07 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

That's more than I've got into my fully kitted out RPR, including barrel, handguard, and shroud. And it does quite well. I'm sure the Savage will go for lower than that MSRP, but I doubt it will be by much due to cost of the Ashbury chassis.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#25]
What kind of competing?
View Quote

The stuff I try to win at, small bore and high power metallic silhouette and PRS mostly nowadays. I do fiddle around in other competitive disciplines but not with much purpose or regularity in the last year other than to give me a way to always need more equipment.

I put most of my competing to one side a little over a year ago when I took up silhouette so I could focus on it. I'm just now getting back into some of the things I've neglected since. Metallic silhouette is probably the single most difficult rifle discipline and took a lot of effort in many areas to get on an upward trajectory with my scores.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

That's more than I've got into my fully kitted out RPR, including barrel, handguard, and shroud. And it does quite well. I'm sure the Savage will go for lower than that MSRP, but I doubt it will be by much due to cost of the Ashbury chassis.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

In all fairness, I think MSRP on the 110BA line was over 2k and I think I see them regularly in the 1600 area.

That said, I don't know why anybody would buy one of those pigs anyway.

I am a pretty big Savage fan, but I also like Ruger. I also like Remington, and Tikka, and everyone else. I think if anyone can bring something like the RPR to market it will be Savage, but I would like to see them slick up the action and improve the extracvtor.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#27]
At that price point you can get a Bergara lrp for about $1850.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Has anyone seen one of these in the wild yet?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:30:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kg4ajk] [#29]
Deleted dup
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Cabelas has them in there sale add this week for $1599.00.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:02:22 AM EDT
[#31]
it may  compete in the price range of the rpr but I have yet to see any brand compete with the rpr's design. they are all just putting their barreled actions in someones else's chassis. I personally don't like the looks of the pistol grip area myself.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:23:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Not a huge fan of savages in general due to feeding/ejecting issues I've seen when running them fast, but they have been shown to have great accuracy for their price. I'm struggling to see why someone would choose this model over a 10T in 6 or 6.5 creedmoor and throw it into a chassis. When removing a few bolts is all that is needed for a stock replacement, I think the potential owners would have to love APO products or just not be fully aware of other options to pay the asking price.

And for what I'm perceiving as a marketing pic, why in the world did they top it with that optic? To me it comes across much like the rifle; just use components that are lying around.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:35:30 AM EDT
[#33]
According to Cabela's website, they are exclusive to them.  Link to Cabela's Ashbury page
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
Not a huge fan of savages in general due to feeding/ejecting issues I've seen when running them fast, but they have been shown to have great accuracy for their price. I'm struggling to see why someone would choose this model over a 10T in 6 or 6.5 creedmoor and throw it into a chassis. When removing a few bolts is all that is needed for a stock replacement, I think the potential owners would have to love APO products or just not be fully aware of other options to pay the asking price.

And for what I'm perceiving as a marketing pic, why in the world did they top it with that optic? To me it comes across much like the rifle; just use components that are lying around.
View Quote

The stealths and ashberry's are not your typical savage rifles. These 2 rifles have blue printed actions. Very smooth and tight. My 10T jams if I try to load fast. These don't from everyone I have asked.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#35]

The stealths and ashberry's are not your typical savage rifles. These 2 rifles have blue printed actions. Very smooth and tight. My 10T jams if I try to load fast. These don't from everyone I have asked.
View Quote

Before my last rifle purchase, I spoke to the Savage tech support people. The tech claimed that the actions on all off their higher price point rifles (Stealth and LRP included) are trued/"blueprinted". I hope it was a fact and not just sales BS.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

You have posted this many times, and there is still no evidence of it meaning anything.  Blue printings wouldn't tighten anything or smooth anything out .

This should not be some proprietary thing, if it is an improvement they should be able to tell us what it is.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By zach_:

Before my last rifle purchase, I spoke to the Savage tech support people. The tech claimed that the actions on all off their higher price point rifles (Stealth and LRP included) are trued/"blueprinted". I hope it was a fact and not just sales BS.
View All Quotes

I've seen LRP's choke and have triggers issues just like lower end models.

I'm not anti savage by any means, but there are limitations in their systems.  Truing doesn't benefit a floating bolt head anyway,
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I was told the same thing. I guess I don't push to those limits as I do not compete at this time. That may change soon. I have not had problems with my 700s either. Every lrp I have seen has been a shooter though. What exactly is the rounds per minute/shooting enviroment in a failure situation that you have personally seen?
I am not opposed to spending the necessary money to compete if I decide to do so.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I was told the same thing. I guess I don't push to those limits as I do not compete at this time. That may change soon. I have not had problems with my 700s either. Every lrp I have seen has been a shooter though. What exactly is the rounds per minute/shooting enviroment in a failure situation that you have personally seen?
I am not opposed to spending the necessary money to compete if I decide to do so.
View Quote

it's not so much rounds per minute as guys shooting stages on the clock run them hard.  Working the bolt aggressively doesn't tend to play nice with them.  Guys on the clock tend to work the bolt harder ben though that doesn't save you a ton of time.  So environment is pretty much on the clock.  

My view is a little skewed, because I shoot higher end stuff, but as far as just having a rifle that runs out of the box the rugers I have seen work.  Savage may gotten these bugs worked out by now and I hope they do, but calling something blue printed isn't enough to make me recommend it to someone thinking about getting into PRS style shooting. 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#40]
You have posted this many times, and there is still no evidence of it meaning anything.  Blue printings wouldn't tighten anything or smooth anything out .

This should not be some proprietary thing, if it is an improvement they should be able to tell us what it is.
View Quote

Ask the guys who have them. They will tell you. Have emailed many on this forum and others. All say the same thing. Doesn't bind like other savage rifles when cycling fast as they can.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:50:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_] [#41]

it's not so much rounds per minute as guys shooting stages on the clock run them hard.  Working the bolt aggressively doesn't tend to play nice with them.  Guys on the clock tend to work the bolt harder ben though that doesn't save you a ton of time.  So environment is pretty much on the clock.  

My view is a little skewed, because I shoot higher end stuff, but as far as just having a rifle that runs out of the box the rugers I have seen work.  Savage may gotten these bugs worked out by now and I hope they do, but calling something blue printed isn't enough to make me recommend it to someone thinking about getting into PRS style shooting. 
View Quote

So, I did the unthinkable and decided to re-read the owner's manual. They kind of mention a situation that might occur if you are rough with the gun. There is also a glued on pad at the base of the bolt lever. Read on....
It still shoots better than I do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top