Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2015 2:26:07 PM EDT
Just looking for opinions from folks who has been precision shooting for awhile about this rifle. Alrady have 308 AR's and a few regular 243 bolt rifles. Want to step up to a beginner rifle that won't break the bank but accurate enough (with the right skills) to try precision shooting. Already reload for 308 so don't want to reload another cartridge yet. Not going to put a suppressor on it either. So, for a 1st semi precision rifle, is this rifle a good place to start? Appreciate your comments.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Trg has that rifle. Imo, it's a great starter precision rifle, especially if you handload.

I shoot a Rem 700pss.  Imo, they are about equal at distance for accuracy.

Txl
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:04:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#2]
Thanks. Just about every review i have read is possitive. Plan on changing to a more precision stock as time and money permit. Will just work up loads for now and get comfortable with it. Would like to modify it to take bigger magazines though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#3]
In a word? "Absolutely".

My first "precision" rifle was a Savage 10FP in .308. I still have it and even though it's on the second stock upgrade (from Tupperware to custom A5 style to XLR chassis), the barreled action still shoots lights out and that rifle taught me a lot about the finer points of long range shooting. The best part is that when I finally do shoot the barrel out of it, I'll be able to swap it myself, instead of having to send it to a smith.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]
What kind of range where you shooting accurately with that savage?
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Savage 10T in your choice of caliber, and drop it in an XLR Element chassis. Bolt it on and go shoot it!! You will have FAR less money into the rifle, and it will be all the rifle you need it to be.

DK    
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:35:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKJP] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
View Quote

Last week, after dropping it in the Element chassis and confirming my 100 yard zero, I was shooting clay pigeons at 600 and 850 yards. This is with handloads (178 A-Max over Varget).
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 5:14:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#7]
Originally Posted By AKJP:

Last week, after dropping it in the Element chassis and confirming my 100 yard zero, I was shooting clay pigeons at 600 and 850 yards. This is with handloads (178 A-Max over Varget).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AKJP:

Great to hear. Been reloading my AR 308 with 168 gr A-Max but was planning to get the 178's for the bolt. Wife is getting this rifle for my birthday next month so already planning. Will have to borrow my Nikon M308 scope off of my AR until I find a better one within my budget. Thanks for the replies folks.
BTW, can someone point me in the right direction for the mod to get this rifle to accept 10 round mags?
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Couldn't wait for my birthday. Brought it home today. Didn't realize the 10 round mag works without any modifications. Thanks again for all the replies.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Couldn't wait for my birthday. Brought it home today. Didn't realize the 10 round mag works without any modifications. Thanks again for all the replies.
View Quote

That's funny, I just brought home my Xmas present
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By climbr1:

View All Quotes

You must be single.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]

You must be single.
View All Quotes

You must be single.

Haha nope married with five kids!
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one that I put in a Choate Tactical stock and did some minor polishing on. My ONLY complaint is that spare mags are impossible to find. I found ONE mag and haven't had any luck since then. There's a couple folks that make extended mags but they are made from the factory mags so no factory mags = very tough to find aftermarket mags.

Mine is very accurate and stable. I like it. It's heavy and not exactly the most compact thing in the world, but as a range gun or stable precision shooter it's nice. I get reliable sub moa results with good ammo and handloads. I posted a review and pics of it here a while back. I've thought about doing a chassis for it, but honestly, for my purposes the Choate worked. I actually wanted a heavier and more recoil absorbing setup than the usual chassis options.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Current plan is to get it to the range to try it out, break it in a bit. Will rob my 308 AR and mount my Nikon M-308 on it for now. Gives me time to save and research for a descent scope I can afford. Then a chassis. Time to start making some loads to test.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:57:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kfog] [#14]
I love mine, it really likes FGMM.  Stick it in a Bell and Carlson M40, great bang for your buck and seemed to tighten the groups up a touch.

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 10:09:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#15]
Nice setup. Have to get some glass on mine to get out to the range. Might just go with a SWFA 20x until I can save for a real nice scope. Have one on my 50BMG and has been good.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Kfog, which bottom metal did you use, and which mags do you like? If I decide to change up my setup that is the stock I was looking at. Maybe with the Badger M4 hardware. I am also considering it for my Remington but that's a different scenario.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Remyrw:
Kfog, which bottom metal did you use, and which mags do you like? If I decide to change up my setup that is the stock I was looking at. Maybe with the Badger M4 hardware. I am also considering it for my Remington but that's a different scenario.
View Quote

It's PTG Bottom Metal, I ordered it from midway.  I currently only have one Accurate Mag 10 rounder, and a couple 5 round Magpul AICS mags on preorder

It's worked great so far, and the price was right
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:17:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#18]
The new savage scout 10 round mag seems to fit. The guy behind the counter selling me my 10T took the mag out of the new scount on display and popped it in with no problem. Whether it works loaded up I don't know. Trying to find 1 ten round mag now but no luck.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Whats available for a good cheek pad that's durable? Not some cheap one that might last 1 year.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:49:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Whats available for a good cheek pad that's durable? Not some cheap one that might last 1 year.
View Quote

Check out the triad tactical stock packs
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Out of stock. After seeing yours in the pic, looks to be a good one. Now to wait. Scope comes in next wednesday.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I have the Triad and a BALS Mk2, I really like both. In both case I had to add quite a bit underneath to get the height needed. Neither is lightweight, but not particularly heavy either. The BALS bag is filled with light weight beads, not sand or metal shot. Both are a huge step up from the cheap stuff when it comes to construction quality.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the info. Looking at the triad but will check out the other one you mentioned. The added weight should help to reduce recoil a little. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Took the rifle out today to test out. Trigger must be set around 2.5 to 3 lbs because just touched it and she fired. Am impressed with how how accurate once dialed in and low recoil. 100 yard range was closed for maintenance so dialed in at 200 yards. 6 shots got me on the mark using hornady match 168 grain. Think I got the right beginner precision rifle to try getting into competition.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Took the rifle out today to test out. Trigger must be set around 2.5 to 3 lbs because just touched it and she fired. Am impressed with how how accurate once dialed in and low recoil. 100 yard range was closed for maintenance so dialed in at 200 yards. 6 shots got me on the mark using hornady match 168 grain. Think I got the right beginner precision rifle to try getting into competition.
View Quote

Picked mine up yesterday.  Waiting for the optics and rings to come in that I ordered then hopefully taking it out
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By cone256:

Picked mine up yesterday.  Waiting for the optics and rings to come in that I ordered then hopefully taking it out
View All Quotes

Think you will be happy with it. Am waiting on my chronograph before going back out with some reloads I made up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:45:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#27]
You'd be hard pressed to find a model of rifle that's so routinely accurate right out of the box. Savage are not refined like some more expensive guns but they do work and they do return great value for the investment. Mine gets used in competition in metallic silhouette and precision rifle. At some point the barrel will get tossed for a Black Hole Weaponry pipe in 7mm-08 but for now it's a .308.

I switch back and forth between the factory plastic stock with a kydex cheek rest and the MDT LSS stock depending on what sport I'm competing in.

Hornady SST 165's over IMR 4064 in LC 10 brass and CCI 34's. This is the first recipe I tried, fired off a rolled up carpet. I could have tightened that group up if I had a more stable firing platform but I was in a hurry to get a zero confirmation before a match started. Looks like right at .5". I got a pic but didn't have time to take an actual measurement.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:00:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I've had my rifle for a year now and absolutely love it. Hornady's 178gr hpbt over 43.6gr of Varget and it will shoot quarter inch groups all day long. If you don't want to buy new bottom metal you can call Savage and give them item number 110570 which is for there new 10 round magazine. It's $58 plus shipping.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:47:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Sweet. Thanks for the info. I emailed savage 2 weeks ago and never got a reply about magazines. Will be ordering soon.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:19:23 AM EDT
[#30]
You should never email Savage. There turnaround is horrible. If you call it's usually a couple minute wait instead of weeks or months.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone have a line on to some extra mags for these?
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 5:55:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#32]
Anyone have a line on to some extra mags for these?
View Quote

Call Savage for the 10 rounder mags. Just ordered one for now.

I just love this rifle. Low recoil and accurate (provided I do my part). Here is my last range trip @100 yards with Hornady 168 match with 6 shots. Working on developing some reloads now with varget and 4064. Also just got my new chrono to test out my reloads. Its the new Labradar that just came out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#33]
My dad and I just bought one of these. We're going to have the barrel cut down to 21" and threaded for my Suppressor. I need to order some 10 rounders
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Finally received an email back from savage whether the savage scout magazines fit the 10T. They do. When I purchased the 10T, the guy behind the counter grabbed a 10 round mag from the new scout on display and popped it in mine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I also have a T10 and found it to be a great/accurate rifle.  But when it comes to the Savage 10 round mag (#110570), there is plenty to be not impressed with.  I know magazine development since many years ago I did R&D and Sales for a gun accessory/mag. company called "Ram-Line" and Savage has just given up on the development of this mag and are OK that as a 10 round mag it is half assed.   I own 6 of these mags and have had numerous conversations with Savages Tech department about them.  But I finally got the true scoop just the other day as to why they do not work well with 10 rounds in them and why they won't be changing it..  A little back round on how a mag should work, when fully loaded (in this case 10 rds) you should be able to press the last round down about a half of a round.  This compression allows you to easily load a fully loaded magazine in a Bolt Closed gun.  With 9 rounds in Savages 110570 mag it works Perfectly but with the 10 rounds it not only has zero push down capability, the last round sets about 1/3 higher then it should.  The last round should set in the same location (Height wise to the lips of the mag) as all the other rounds before it.  the last time I called Savage, the lady left me know that originally they worked that way, but some people had found a way of tightening the lips of the mag and cramming 11 rounds in it.  That made it illegal in numerous states and then the Fed's contacted them, they redesigned it so that couldn't happen again.  I told them that they should just market it as a 9 round mag and call it a day.  That said they have gotten very hard to find, so if anyone is still looking for them I'm letting 3 of my 6 go = $40.00 each + frt.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#36]
You can order those mags from Savage. I did one but won't be getting another. Got a free smaller mag due to them screwing up my order and sending me a small mag instead of the 10 round. They wanted me to send back the smaller when my 10 round came in. Sent them a nasty email. Told me to keep it for there screw up. I like the rifle but makes me wonder about the company. I'll shoot it for now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Best rifle for the money there is as far as I'm concerned.
Top Top