Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2016 9:40:52 PM EDT
Greetings,

I'm very interesting in purchasing a CZ .22LR for informal target shooting (and perhaps small "nuisance" critters on my property). I've been looking at them for a few years (after seeing a few locally that I was pretty impressed with regarding $/value) and it seems the 452 series has been superseded by the 455 series. Reading on here and RimFireCentral, I haven't been able to discern the differences, but looking on gunbroker, it seems the older ones used are going for about the same money as the a new one. Can anyone comment on differences between them.

Specially, I'm looking toward the "Varmint" model; 20.5" barrel, wood stock, external box mag fed and no iron sights (plan on using a scope that I already have: a Millett 4-16x 50mm w/30mm tube). Open to other models if a good reason exists. One further question............do any of the CZs have or have the ability to use a 2 stage trigger? Just my personal preference. The CZ is pretty much close to the top of my budget, but I don't want to get a lesser rifle to save $100 either.

Just for a bit of background, in rim fire rifles, I currently I have a Colt/Walther "AR" (just for plinkng fun, not a target gun) and a dedicated .22LR AR15  that I built from very good quality parts (to closely match my main 5.56 target AR). It shoots decent (about 2-3 MOA ) but not super consistent. I also have an old Mossberg 44Mb bolt action that I refurbedished (trash picked from a friends basement, on it's way to the rubbish bin) that shoots pretty darn well ( about 1-1.5 MOA) IF the ammo is what it really likes. I do most of my shooting at my home range of just under 50 yards, and hope to extend the distance next summer, perhaps out to 60+. I'm also a member at a private club that has both 50 and 100 yard ranges. I tried the 100 just a couple times with the .22LRs, but was pretty disappointed with my results. I'd certainly need to put much more practice into that.

Thank you all for any input!

PS.     BTW, I've been working on the "Tack Driver Game" at home. Getting better with it, but no targets I'd like to submit just yet. Thanks much for setting that up, it's a lot of fun, but can be quite frustrating if everything isn't lining up just right!

Regards, Jim
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The main difference is that the 455 has user swappable barrels, two set screws hold the barrel in place, 22 LR, 22 WMR and 17 HMR barrels are available.  Some other small differences can be seen in the action design.  The varmint models are pretty nice, I have a varmint precision trainer model which is similar, but with a different stock.

As far as triggers are concerned, I have not seen a two stage available, I have a yodave spring kit in mine and am quite happy with it.  Information on the yodave kit can be found on the rimfire central boards.

Here's a picture of my 455, it's got a silencerco sparrow and a SWFA 10x42 scope on it now, can't seem to find any current pictures on photobucket though

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm ordering the 455 Varmint in the next several weeks. From what I understand, CZ is pretty much the standard for 22lr bolt guns unless you want to shell out close to or over a grand for a Sako Quad. Personally, I can't bring myself to pay mid range AR prices for a 22lr, but I digress.

The above is pretty much my understanding of the differences as well. I have heard over on rimfirecentral.com that some of the 452 and 453s are/were equipped with a set trigger that owners seem to be raving about. However, most are saying that the 455 trigger is easily upgraded if you want to do so. Also, I hear Timney is currently producing triggers for them. I have seen a bone stock 455 American shoot .5" or less at 50yds from generic range owned sandbags, albeit not me doing the shooting.

If I pick one up before you, I'll post some impressions. As of now, I don't have much fear of disappointment.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have examples of both models.  The switch barrel part of the 455 is more of a novelty to me.  I like them both equally.  If I were buying one out of a gunshop, I'd pick whichever one had the nicest wood.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Greetings,

Thank you all very much for the info. Easily switchable barrels really wouldn't be of any great benefit to me. I guess the lone exception to that would be ease of replacement, but I really don't see myself shooting out a .22LR barrel. I'll keep looking around and see what I find now that I know the differences. Thanks again!

Regards, Jim

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:02:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I think its apples and oranges comparing the 452 and 455
I have had a 452 and still own a 455PVT and both are great rifles
if I were to choose between one I would probable lean towards the 455 as there are more upgrades for it
my 455
image by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr
my 452
CZ452V (5) by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:32:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mick214] [#6]
I bought my first CZ 452 from a neighbor a couple of years ago It is marked "SUPER BRNO SAA 2500" on the top of the barrel, which is 29" long. On the side of the receiver is it marked "CZ 452-2E ZKM". It is an absolute tack driver. I am still working out the proper scope and ring configuration. Right now I have a Tasco 3x9x40 scope mounted on it with a pair of BKL off-set rings.

This is an older pic:

I just ordered a CZ 455 Varmint model in .22LR to use in the local metallic silhouette matches. I have a Mueller 4.5x14x40 AO scope on order for as well......
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By usmcchet9296:
if I were to choose between one I would probable lean towards the 455 as there are more upgrades for it
my 455
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/g9MZgD" target="_blank">https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3670/9944856183_777fce2294_b.jpg</a>image by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr
my 452
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/9cE915" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5245/5382776772_5533a5e5c2_b.jpg</a>CZ452V (5) by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr
View Quote

usmcchet9296,

Who makes that magazine card?  I recently picked up a 452 and I'm looking for something to keep the extra mags on the rifle.  That looks like a great solution.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 12:44:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mchgnxj24:

usmcchet9296,

Who makes that magazine card?  I recently picked up a 452 and I'm looking for something to keep the extra mags on the rifle.  That looks like a great solution.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mchgnxj24:
my 455
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/g9MZgD" target="_blank">https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3670/9944856183_777fce2294_b.jpg</a>image by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr
my 452
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/9cE915" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5245/5382776772_5533a5e5c2_b.jpg</a>CZ452V (5) by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr

usmcchet9296,

It was a 6 centerfire round holder that was velcro backed
I removed the sticking between every other round and it fit the magazines perfectly
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#9]
452; adjustable trigger, with some light work and maybe a change of spring they're quite good and can get rather low weight.  They have the barrel threaded to the receiver.  The ones threaded for suppressors have euro threads and you need an adaptor.  There are different stock screw set ups for various 452's;  single screw for youth scout, two action screws for most of the others, varmint has one screw into the rear of the barrel.  

453 the same as above but has a set trigger.  

455 is the switch barrel capable gun.  I believe all their action screws have the same format through out the series. 2 in the action I believe,  I have 3 452's and no 453 or 455's.

There seem to be more 455 accuracy complaints than the older designs.  Some are quite happy and some are not.  Not sure if there were teething issues on the new design or what.   I can't say how many 455's had accuracy issues as I think you'd see more people with problems seeking help or bitching on line and the good shooters are more apt to be out shooting.   I believe all the 455 threaded for suppressor options have our american standard threads.

I'm not apt to swap barrels anyhow., some day I'll change states and would like a .22 suppressed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:12:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
There are different stock screw set ups for various 452's;  single screw for youth scout, two action screws for most of the others, varmint has one screw into the rear of the barrel.  
View Quote

Are you sure about that? My Varmint has two screws. Anyways, I love my 452. It shoots like a dream and has had some work. Timney trigger and Boyds stock, and the barrel cut and threaded.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By oxbcat:

Are you sure about that? My Varmint has two screws. Anyways, I love my 452. It shoots like a dream and has had some work. Timney trigger and Boyds stock, and the barrel cut and threaded.

http://i.imgur.com/7ZaXeSb.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By oxbcat:
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
There are different stock screw set ups for various 452's;  single screw for youth scout, two action screws for most of the others, varmint has one screw into the rear of the barrel.  

http://i.imgur.com/7ZaXeSb.jpg

Poorly worded.  one screw in the action and one into the barrel on a lug. The others I've read that have .17 hmr and .22 mag have two action screws. I only have the .22 lr version so I can't swear to it but I've read that they're different in the longer chamberings.  Why I don't know.  CZ is if anything consistently inconsistent in the older models.   My cz scout only has one screw and moves a bit in the action about the one screw.  It still shoots so I haven't messed with it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#12]
CZ changed the barrel length and profile a bit when they switched from the CZ 452/453 to the CZ 455.

The CZ 453/453 has a 20.9" heavy barrel with a slight taper, while the CZ 455 has a 20.5" barrel with a constant .866" diameter. The end result is the CZ 455 Varmint is .55" shorter and .3 pounds heavier, and in my opinion does not have quite as nice lines as the CZ 452/453.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:12:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mic214:
I bought my first CZ 452 from a neighbor a couple of years ago It is marked "SUPER BRNO SAA 2500" on the top of the barrel, which is 29" long. On the side of the receiver is it marked "CZ 452-2E ZKM". It is an absolute tack driver. I am still working out the proper scope and ring configuration. Right now I have a Tasco 3x9x40 scope mounted on it with a pair of BKL off-set rings.
View Quote

The cz lux's (lux & super lux) have the hogs back stock design which makes it hard to get a good cheek weld with the lower combed hog back design. To get the scope lower you need a lllloooooonnnnnnggger bodied scope. I use my 1996 cz lux for silhouettes, here's a picture of the lux setup with a long bodied sightron 24x.

A couple years back I swithed over to a long bodied lyman all americam 20x. Note how the eyepiece of the lyman sits back further than the sightron. You can always tell a shooter that sits on a bench compared to an off-hand shooter. Typically the end of the eyepiece is in front of the palm grip on the stock of people that sit to shoot. If you tried shooting offhand with the scope that far forward you'd have to "crawl" the stock when standing to be able to see thru it.

To the op:
Sorry for the thread drift. If it was me, I'd go for the 455. There's nothing wrong with the 452's, heck I've owned 1 for decades. CZ decided to put a rimfire model out that could easily be changed to a shooters specific needs for a reason. The ability to take the bbl on and off is huge!!! You might not have any interest in doing anything or changing anything on a cz 455 right now.

But what about your future needs????

As your shooting capabilities evolve you should own a rimfire that can change/evolve with your needs. There's already been trigger work brought up but there's more to tuning a rimfire than a trigger spring and bedding the stock. Look at it this way, you do the trigger work & bed the stock & go out and start shooting/practicing. You keep getting better & you start buying better ammo. Things keep improving until all of a sudden you hit a wall. Doesn't matter what you do, some days will be better than others, some days there more wind than others, etc. But at the end of the day you'll find that after all the practice, improvements, better ammo you'll be sitting at just under .200" average for 4 5-shot groups @25yds and around 1/2" average for 4 5-shot groups @50yds. Can you do better on a given day??? Absolutely!!! But you'll find that over a period of time that for every time you shoot a 3/8" group @50yds you'll also shot a 5/8" group (darn flier). It's hard to put 20 shots together into the proverbial "I can shoot 1/2" groups all day long".  To put it in perspective, they have 13mm game over on rimfire centeral, the idea of the game was for all those I can shoot 1/2" groups all day long shooters to go ahead burn some ammo and give it a try. Heck 13mm is bigger than 1/2". Simply shoot 4 5-shot groups @ 50yds, measure the 4 groups and add them together and then get the average for those 4 groups. If the average was under 13mm you were up to the challenge. For some odd reason since 2011 there's 64 people on that list shooting their sporter rifles. Why post this???

Because if the guys that use/shoot rimfires all the time are averaging 9mm with their cz's over a 5 year period, then you have a benchmark/something to shoot for (no pun intended). When you hit that wall you will find that it's because you've reached the mechanical ability of your cz, hence you're better than the rifle. So now it becomes replace the rifle or improve the rifle. CZ understands this and has came out with a rifle designed to allow you to do just that without spending allot of $$$$.

I don't know what the CZ 455 bbl's chambers are but the older 452's have the european 18mm sporter chamber (so do the older anschutz 64's from the 80's/90's). While being allot tighter than their US counterparts, they are not a match chamber by any means. They were supposed to "tighten" the chambers up on the 455's compared to the 452's. Here's what cz has to say about their 455 chambers.

Q: “Can I shoot CCI Stingers or long-for chambering Sub-Sonic ammo in my CZ?”

A: Our .22 LR rifles are built to tight tolerances for increased accuracy, and our chamber is what other manufacturers might refer to as a ‘Match’ chamber. The tight tolerances mean overly long cartridges may not fit, so Stingers and some large sub-sonic loads will be too long to allow the bolt to close. Also, we warn customers against using sub-sonic loads because of our tighter bores.

What that's telling me is that they are not using a true match chamber. When a mfg says "May not fit" that means that the chambers are cut right at the minimum tolerance allowed for the case to fit in the chamber. A chamber reamer chart, the 452's used a 18mm or .700" (lakefield chamber), the 18mm is the C measurement on the chart. A stinger case is .700" long compared to the standard .600 for a 22lr.

Which makes me believe that cz is still using the 18mm chamber. Why is this important??  Note that the "stinger" chamber on the chart is .735" and .735 - .700 ='s .035". Allot smarter people than me figured out that rimfire ammo/chamber combo's are at their best/most accurate when the chambered round has around 30/1000th's to 40/1000th's  (.030"/.040") of the bullet seated into the leade of the throat of the chamber.

Finding the magic bullet:
Typically match ammo is short, allot shorter than hunting/blammo ammo for example. Low grades of match ammo tend to be longer than the higher grades. When measuring different 22lr ammo I found that eley black box was as much as 70/1000th's + (.070"+) shorter than most of the hunting/plinking/blammo ammo. And the lower the grade of match ammo, the longer the ammo got. The sk+ was 50/1000th's+ (.050"+) longer than the eley black box.

Longer chamber ='s longer bullet ='s accuracy from bullet fit in the chamber.

The "eley esp" chamer is .617" and most eley eps ammo I've measured around .655" at the beginning of the drive bands of the bullet and is extremely consistent. The sk+ & sk pistol match ammo on the other hand measured around .710" and had as much as 20/1000th's (.020") difference in length with the majority of it being longer.

Why all this??
Because, you'll find that the chamber in your cz is at it's best with longer ammo. The problem is the longer ammo is also the cheaper, not as well make ammo. So when you get better and put everything together you're shooting abilities will reach the limits of your ammo. The 455 has a removable bbl that can easily be set back 1/8" and the chamber recut with a true match chamber reamer for little $$$. I've done this on several 22lr bbl's, it's easier and cheaper than buying a new bbl. I like to use the PTG match reamer because I tend to use the middle of the road match ammo which is typically is around 20/1000th's (.020") longer than the eley eps and 30/1000th's (.030") shorter than the sk+/pistol match. At the end of the day you have to match the match ammo to the match chamber of your bbl. Don't think so??? Then why are so many people doing so well with the same ammo/chambers???

The other area that the CZ's need improvement on is their bolts. Most serous shooters buy after market extra power striker/firing pin spring and call it good. Most shooters don't test their rimfires for consistent ignition and consistent ignition ='s accuracy. When I get serous about a rimfire and decide to tune it, consistent ignition is the 1st thing I do. I have bought cases of ammo, not because it was extremely accurate. Because they had an extremely low sd. If I found a low grade ($600/$700) a case match ammo that had a low sd I'd buy it. I use that ammo as a benchmark to test firearms with. If I got a sd of 10 or 11 for a 20-shot string out of several different firearms with that ammo and got a sd in the 30's when testing a new firearm. I knew I had a problem. The CZ lux pictured above I had for years, really enjoyed it but never really did anything with it but use it as a range plinker. Back in 2008 I decided to take a hard look at it and really see what it could do. I wanted to set it up for silhouettes and started testing different ammo. I kept getting around 1/4" 5-shot groups @25yds and around 1/2" 5-shot groups @50yds. Basically nothing special and I had 5 other match grade sporter rifles to use for sporter rimfire silhouettes already. Just liked the CZ so it was time to give it a make over. Ended up taking the bolt apart and polishing everything internal, reshaping the firing pin to get the correct hit/depth. Replacing the striker spring and treating all the metal with moly. The last thing I did was polish the leade of the chamber and moly treated it. The end result was the work vastly increased the lock time of the bolt and reduced the groups of that rifle by 40%.

Before the work the lux did 1/4" groups. Same ammo after the work, 4 5-shot groups @25yds shot in 36* weather no less.

Better weather @50yds with sk pistol match.

Anyway, you'll find that if you keep at it your shooting abilities will exceed the ammo that is the best fit for your cz's chamber. That's why people say test lots for that "magic bullet". It's easier to find that "magic" bullet in the higher priced ammo and the 455 will allow you the advantage of customizing/optimizing the chamber to better match the higher priced highly accurate ammo.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Crash41984:
I'm ordering the 455 Varmint in the next several weeks. From what I understand, CZ is pretty much the standard for 22lr bolt guns unless you want to shell out close to or over a grand for a Sako Quad. Personally, I can't bring myself to pay mid range AR prices for a 22lr, but I digress.
View Quote

I own multiple 452 CZ's but have never warmed up to the 455 series. CZ 452's are crazy accurate for their cost, often keeping up with rifles costing twice as much. Resale value is quite good as well.

As for your only other option being a Sako, I highly disagree. The Browning T-Bolt is a damn good rimfire at the cost of a CZ. They come with an adjustable trigger as well.

Another option is the Anschutz line. I have their Model 64BRS & the trigger is simply perfect right out of the box. Anschutz is the rare mfgr that lives up to their rep & one can sometimes find a good price on a gently used one in GB.

My .o2
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I also have a bunch of 452's and have no plans to transition to the 455's. If you keep your eyes open, you'll find many different models of 452 still get trickled out by CZ.

I also have a .22lr 453 lux with the set trigger, that gun is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 3221:

The cz lux's (lux & super lux) have the hogs back stock design which makes it hard to get a good cheek weld with the lower combed hog back design. To get the scope lower you need a lllloooooonnnnnnggger bodied scope. I use my 1996 cz lux for silhouettes, here's a picture of the lux setup with a long bodied sightron 24x.

A couple years back I swithed over to a long bodied lyman all americam 20x. Note how the eyepiece of the lyman sits back further than the sightron. You can always tell a shooter that sits on a bench compared to an off-hand shooter. Typically the end of the eyepiece is in front of the palm grip on the stock of people that sit to shoot. If you tried shooting offhand with the scope that far forward you'd have to "crawl" the stock when standing to be able to see thru it.

To the op:
Sorry for the thread drift. If it was me, I'd go for the 455. There's nothing wrong with the 452's, heck I've owned 1 for decades. CZ decided to put a rimfire model out that could easily be changed to a shooters specific needs for a reason. The ability to take the bbl on and off is huge!!! You might not have any interest in doing anything or changing anything on a cz 455 right now.

But what about your future needs????

As your shooting capabilities evolve you should own a rimfire that can change/evolve with your needs. There's already been trigger work brought up but there's more to tuning a rimfire than a trigger spring and bedding the stock. Look at it this way, you do the trigger work & bed the stock & go out and start shooting/practicing. You keep getting better & you start buying better ammo. Things keep improving until all of a sudden you hit a wall. Doesn't matter what you do, some days will be better than others, some days there more wind than others, etc. But at the end of the day you'll find that after all the practice, improvements, better ammo you'll be sitting at just under .200" average for 4 5-shot groups @25yds and around 1/2" average for 4 5-shot groups @50yds. Can you do better on a given day??? Absolutely!!! But you'll find that over a period of time that for every time you shoot a 3/8" group @50yds you'll also shot a 5/8" group (darn flier). It's hard to put 20 shots together into the proverbial "I can shoot 1/2" groups all day long".  To put it in perspective, they have 13mm game over on rimfire centeral, the idea of the game was for all those I can shoot 1/2" groups all day long shooters to go ahead burn some ammo and give it a try. Heck 13mm is bigger than 1/2". Simply shoot 4 5-shot groups @ 50yds, measure the 4 groups and add them together and then get the average for those 4 groups. If the average was under 13mm you were up to the challenge. For some odd reason since 2011 there's 64 people on that list shooting their sporter rifles. Why post this???

Because if the guys that use/shoot rimfires all the time are averaging 9mm with their cz's over a 5 year period, then you have a benchmark/something to shoot for (no pun intended). When you hit that wall you will find that it's because you've reached the mechanical ability of your cz, hence you're better than the rifle. So now it becomes replace the rifle or improve the rifle. CZ understands this and has came out with a rifle designed to allow you to do just that without spending allot of $$.

I don't know what the CZ 455 bbl's chambers are but the older 452's have the european 18mm sporter chamber (so do the older anschutz 64's from the 80's/90's). While being allot tighter than their US counterparts, they are not a match chamber by any means. They were supposed to "tighten" the chambers up on the 455's compared to the 452's. Here's what cz has to say about their 455 chambers.

<span style="color: blue;">Q: “Can I shoot CCI Stingers or long-for chambering Sub-Sonic ammo in my CZ?”

<span style="color: red;">A: Our .22 LR rifles are built to tight tolerances for increased accuracy, and our chamber is what other manufacturers might refer to as a ‘Match’ chamber. The tight tolerances mean overly long cartridges may not fit, so Stingers and some large sub-sonic loads will be too long to allow the bolt to close. Also, we warn customers against using sub-sonic loads because of our tighter bores.

What that's telling me is that they are not using a true match chamber. When a mfg says "May not fit" that means that the chambers are cut right at the minimum tolerance allowed for the case to fit in the chamber. A chamber reamer chart, the 452's used a 18mm or .700" (lakefield chamber), the 18mm is the C measurement on the chart. A stinger case is .700" long compared to the standard .600 for a 22lr.

Which makes me believe that cz is still using the 18mm chamber. Why is this important??  Note that the "stinger" chamber on the chart is .735" and .735 - .700 ='s .035". Allot smarter people than me figured out that rimfire ammo/chamber combo's are at their best/most accurate when the chambered round has around 30/1000th's to 40/1000th's  (.030"/.040") of the bullet seated into the leade of the throat of the chamber.

Finding the magic bullet:
Typically match ammo is short, allot shorter than hunting/blammo ammo for example. Low grades of match ammo tend to be longer than the higher grades. When measuring different 22lr ammo I found that eley black box was as much as 70/1000th's + (.070"+) shorter than most of the hunting/plinking/blammo ammo. And the lower the grade of match ammo, the longer the ammo got. The sk+ was 50/1000th's+ (.050"+) longer than the eley black box.

Longer chamber ='s longer bullet ='s accuracy from bullet fit in the chamber.

The "eley esp" chamer is .617" and most eley eps ammo I've measured around .655" at the beginning of the drive bands of the bullet and is extremely consistent. The sk+ & sk pistol match ammo on the other hand measured around .710" and had as much as 20/1000th's (.020") difference in length with the majority of it being longer.

Why all this??
Because, you'll find that the chamber in your cz is at it's best with longer ammo. The problem is the longer ammo is also the cheaper, not as well make ammo. So when you get better and put everything together you're shooting abilities will reach the limits of your ammo. The 455 has a removable bbl that can easily be set back 1/8" and the chamber recut with a true match chamber reamer for little $$. I've done this on several 22lr bbl's, it's easier and cheaper than buying a new bbl. I like to use the PTG match reamer because I tend to use the middle of the road match ammo which is typically is around 20/1000th's (.020") longer than the eley eps and 30/1000th's (.030") shorter than the sk+/pistol match. At the end of the day you have to match the match ammo to the match chamber of your bbl. Don't think so??? Then why are so many people doing so well with the same ammo/chambers???

The other area that the CZ's need improvement on is their bolts. Most serous shooters buy after market extra power striker/firing pin spring and call it good. Most shooters don't test their rimfires for consistent ignition and consistent ignition ='s accuracy. When I get serous about a rimfire and decide to tune it, consistent ignition is the 1st thing I do. I have bought cases of ammo, not because it was extremely accurate. Because they had an extremely low sd. If I found a low grade ($600/$700) a case match ammo that had a low sd I'd buy it. I use that ammo as a benchmark to test firearms with. If I got a sd of 10 or 11 for a 20-shot string out of several different firearms with that ammo and got a sd in the 30's when testing a new firearm. I knew I had a problem. The CZ lux pictured above I had for years, really enjoyed it but never really did anything with it but use it as a range plinker. Back in 2008 I decided to take a hard look at it and really see what it could do. I wanted to set it up for silhouettes and started testing different ammo. I kept getting around 1/4" 5-shot groups @25yds and around 1/2" 5-shot groups @50yds. Basically nothing special and I had 5 other match grade sporter rifles to use for sporter rimfire silhouettes already. Just liked the CZ so it was time to give it a make over. Ended up taking the bolt apart and polishing everything internal, reshaping the firing pin to get the correct hit/depth. Replacing the striker spring and treating all the metal with moly. The last thing I did was polish the leade of the chamber and moly treated it. The end result was the work vastly increased the lock time of the bolt and reduced the groups of that rifle by 40%.

Before the work the lux did 1/4" groups. Same ammo after the work, 4 5-shot groups @25yds shot in 36* weather no less.

Better weather @50yds with sk pistol match.

Anyway, you'll find that if you keep at it your shooting abilities will exceed the ammo that is the best fit for your cz's chamber. That's why people say test lots for that "magic bullet". It's easier to find that "magic" bullet in the higher priced ammo and the 455 will allow you the advantage of customizing/optimizing the chamber to better match the higher priced highly accurate ammo.
View Quote

I appreciate the thought you have in these posts and the vast amount of knowledge.

I just bought a cz 455 precision trainer, can you detail how you polish the bolt internals? And how you reshape the firing pin?

I can imagine using a dremel and polishing compound to polish a bolt, but not sure if that's right, but can't imagine how I'd reshape a firing pin....

Matt
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:36:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought a 455 standard, which has the same specs as a Lux, but with a non-checkered beechwood stock instead of checkered walnut.

It is almost ridiculously accurate (as are most CZ rimfires), considering that it's an off-the-shelf rifle. Shooting empty .308 cases at 100yds is almost too easy.

I'm going to try to get ahold of some .44mag brass to make it a bit more of a challenge.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:14:40 AM EDT
[#18]
am I the only one that cringed and hurt a little with those nice .308 cases with holes in them? Cause I cringed a little....  
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
am I the only one that cringed and hurt a little with those nice .308 cases with holes in them? Cause I cringed a little....  
View Quote

Nope, not alone.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I have no 455 experience, but the reviews when they first transitioned from the 452 to the 455 have kept me from trying them. Which is a shame, because they're doing some really cool things with them now and I want to like them. I have I think five 452s; they are absolute gems.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#21]
my 455
image by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr
my 452
CZ452V (5) by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr
View Quote

Beautiful.....what sling is that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top