Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2017 11:38:26 PM EDT
I have some spare time after my work hours are done, so I read a lot and youtube some.

I came across this couple(?) that do long distance shooting in Australia.

I think their clips are pretty enjoyable, but I don't get some of it.  Let me preface by saying, yes it's obvious they have talent.

-.308 2000 yards - basically just tumbling bullets in at that point.  How much of it is complete dumb luck with a tumbling subsonic at 2000 yards?  This is an extreme example, but they also have lots of 1 mile, 1500 yards, etc.
308 @ 2000yards (impact energy)

I found this one interesting also.  300WM w/230s vs 7mm w/180s.  I was really surprised to see the windage/elevations at that range and how close they were.  I assume they are way subsonic here though also.?.
7mm Rem Mag V 300Win Mag @ 2342yards
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:48:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#1]
It's exactly an academic waste of ammo. He's not first round hitting, he's raining metal in like a sniper that's too far away to make a clean shot but has to do something to help his unit. It's 100% luck and 100% skill. You can't disentangle the two. Even with the most amazing luck you'll never make that shot if you don't have the required skill level. My coach and I were squirrel killin' one day. There's a crow 1400yrds (confirmed shot BTW) and he decides to take a .22-250 High Wall rifle and shoot at it. I computed the dope and he dialed and held while standing up with no sling and offhand shot that crow, FIRST ROUND HIT. The bullet didn't even penetrate all the way through. Now coach is one of the best offhand shots in the country and I know my way around a ballistics app better than most and it was still 100% luck and 100% skill.

Later that year I took a .22lr semi-auto rifle with iron sights and made 2 consecutive 1500m shots (with a first round hit) at a disused high tension power pylon, offhand with my match spotter watching. My spotter was mad at the FRH and the follow-up but also as a newb refused to believe I couldn't do it again when I told him it was pure luck. So I tried my hardest for 20 more rounds without an impact. When the bullets hit it was like throwing a rock, no energy. I aimed 37degrees above horizontal to make that shot using most of my barrel as come-up. I tried to explain that the pair of consecutive hits was 100% luck and 100% skill.

The skill is in doing it quickly. The luck is in doing it at all.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By w33b8t1:

-.308 2000 yards - basically just tumbling bullets in at that point.  How much of it is complete dumb luck with a tumbling subsonic at 2000 yards?  This is an extreme example, but they also have lots of 1 mile, 1500 yards, 
View Quote
Eh not much different than shooting a 338 Lapua 2200yds, you probably wouldn't think twice about the rationality of doing that.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
Eh not much different than shooting a 338 Lapua 2200yds, you probably wouldn't think twice about the rationality of doing that.
View Quote
Well probably wouldn't think much of it at first glance, but I am sure it's closing in on the same scenario.  But I guess that's my point anyway, I don't really see how this guy is proving anything with his videos. 

Anyway, just thought it was interesting since he doesn't appear to be some random jackass.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:10:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#4]
Originally Posted By w33b8t1:

Well probably wouldn't think much of it at first glance, but I am sure it's closing in on the same scenario.  But I guess that's my point anyway, I don't really see how this guy is proving anything with his videos. 

Anyway, just thought it was interesting since he doesn't appear to be some random jackass.
View Quote
If I had the range to do it I would be doing the same thing..... if bullets were losing stability/tumbling I wouldn't bother though, that is pretty pointless.

I don't know that all his bullets are tumbling. If they are not tumbling, well then carry on.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, the 308 was for sure.  It would be kind of neat to see the way the others impacted with a piece of wood like the .308 had.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 12:54:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#6]
I use 230s for my 308, would love to see how they do subsonic(1400yds).
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
you could always test the theory by down loading them or loading them just over transonic if you don't have the distance to test that far. but that might not be a apples to apples comparison as bullet rpm can influence transonic stability.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:34:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#8]
Originally Posted By garred8787:
you could always test the theory by down loading them or loading them just over transonic if you don't have the distance to test that far. but that might not be a apples to apples comparison as bullet rpm can influence transonic stability.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By garred8787:
Yeah that might work, 1985fps mv makes me subsonic at 1010yds and still at 1.5 stability factor. My range goes to 1060.
Lol, they only lose 843fps in 1010yds.

At mag length would still have about 89% load density. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top