Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2017 6:33:32 PM EDT
I'm really new to precision shooting, and I've just bought my first "real" front rest.  It's a Bald Eagle windage rest, and even though I bought the aluminum version, it's surprisingly heavy.

How do folks transport these things?  Do you just set it in the trunk and hope, or is there some specific way to package it to keep it safe on the way to and from the range?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Throw it into the back of the SUV and drive to the range.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Simpler than I thought...  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Um.  I keep my Eagle in the toolbox of my truck.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]
As I said, I'm new to using "real" rests.  I was concerned that I needed to "protect" some part of the rest in transit.

Now, all I need to do is figure out how to get the rest, my range bag, my rifle and the other crap I'll need from the car to the line.  I have both a folding hand truck and a folding shopping cart (like the picture below).  They've been useful and sure take a load off my shoulders when taking that 2-3 block hike from parking to the line.  I guess I need to get organized on my organization skills.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:33:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I made an oak box for one. Handles on  the sides & top, removable top with just a lip around the base, rubber mat on the bottom. The guy says it works great. He's talking about putting a hole in the bottom so he can anchor it with a spike when on soft or sloping ground.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe some use a Pelican or Storm case for it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:04:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#7]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Does the MTM box make it easier to handle the rest while moving it from the car to the line?

I have a little orange Hoppe's front rest that I've hauled back and forth in a 5 gallon cat litter pail along with bags for it.  That makes it a "one hand" carry, but it's still awkward because the rest doesn't fit neatly in the pail.  That MTM box looks like it'll hold a lot - its dimensions sure look like they'll handle my rest and bags.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I have done some shopping around and I found THIS Plano Small Sportsman Trunk.

It's a bit roomier than the MTM box, and seems more available around here.

There's also THIS Plano Large Storage Case, which is smaller than the trunk, but seems easier to manage.

I'll try to get some hands-on with each and see whether or not there's an advantage of one over the other.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks.  The dimensions looked similar to the MTM, but that's why I wanted to check these things out in person.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry my Randolf rest in a Pelican storm case along with my rear sandbag and a couple of pieces of 1x6 and 2x6 wood risers if I need them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a Home Depot HDX 17 gallon tote to "tote" my rest, bags, etc. in.  I plan to cut a 1/4" plywood "floor" for the tote to give it some beef.  There's plenty of room, and I doubt I'll get near the thing's weight limit.  I haven't had a chance to take my rest to the range yet, but when I do, I'll report how it does.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:59:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#15]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:46:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tweeter] [#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
As I said, I'm new to using "real" rests.  I was concerned that I needed to "protect" some part of the rest in transit.

Now, all I need to do is figure out how to get the rest, my range bag, my rifle and the other crap I'll need from the car to the line.  I have both a folding hand truck and a folding shopping cart (like the picture below).  They've been useful and sure take a load off my shoulders when taking that 2-3 block hike from parking to the line.  I guess I need to get organized on my organization skills.  
https://d47b8c342f195720a9bf-abcdaee9f8d8752825c66eff59bb2838.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/foldingchair.jpg
View Quote
For transporting stuff to my position I use a service rifle stool/cart.  it's your run-of-the mill folding stool with a big zippered pocket on the bottom, but it also has a lawnmower-style push-pull handle.
for getting my rest to the line I just lay down my bipod board on the seat and put the rest on top of that.  the whole thing gets bungee corded

Ray-Vin still makes a handle conversion kit for most folding stools
Ray-Vin cart conversion kit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top