Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/20/2017 10:09:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dj1975232]
What muzzle devices do you guys use?  I am picking up a Savage Model 10 PC and it comes with a brake.  I did some research and it turns out it is this brake Brake  Looks like it is designed to just be loud and obnoxious.  Would I be better off just finding a thread protector or a moderate comp/brake?  It's just a .308 so I'm not sure a brake is necessary but I am not aware of the effects of muzzle devices on precision bolt guns.  Am I better off with nothing?

ETA:  I live in a crappy state that does not allow suppressors for any reason (Hope that changes in the future) so a suppressor mount is not a viable option at this point.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Area 419 Hellfire.  

Most effective design I've tried, and I've tried quite a few.   It also has a much more simple to use self timing process than other brakes. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:14:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:57:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#3]
Looks like the port on that Loudener is too big to be very effective.

People use brakes on 6.5s all the time so if a 6.5 needs a brake then so does a .308. Zero recoil would be ideal. 

With that being said, take it off and shoot it. If you don't need to spot your shots or quick follow ups you probably don't  really need a brake, just buy a $15 thread protector.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#4]
A PA little bastard or Suppressor....and yes you should use some type of muzzle device on that 308 if you hope to see your splash to spot misses and desire quick follow up shots.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dag34:
A PA little bastard or Suppressor....and yes you should use some type of muzzle device on that 308 if you hope to see your splash to spot misses and desire quick follow up shots.
View Quote
A can works nowhere near as well as a good brake for recoil reduction.  A good brake gives you a tiny little jolt and the rifle barely moves.  A can makes it more of a gentle push.  I rarely use my cans for precision stuff because I like to be able to see my own shots
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Muzzle brakes will reduce your recoil by about 50% depending on brand.

Your gun will get about 100% louder 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Regency:
Muzzle brakes will reduce your recoil by about 50% depending on brand.

Your gun will get about 100% louder 
View Quote

I feel I may be in the minority but I am not okay with this. I try to wear hearing protection all the time but I still don't want to bother my neighbours. I will take recoil over noise. If I could get a can I would be all over that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree, I hate to be annoying at a range... especially indoors.  I own a suppressor but the problem is my groups start to really open up and I get flyers once my suppressor gets a little warm.  I wish I could say it was just me, but there is a huge difference in my accuracy and groups.

If your neighbors are more than 100-200yds away, then I don't think they will notice a sound difference brake or no brake...
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#10]
My main thing is not being that guy at the range that nobody can shoot next to.  The outdoor range I use most has benches every three or four feet so we are pretty close together.  If I can find something that improves recoil that would be great but not the loudest on the market.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I've used those $20-$30 muzzle brakes that you could get off amazon before and they worked great. Now I use the ASR's so I can have the QD feature.

I may be wrong, but I think those real pricey brakes are excessively priced.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:37:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotdown] [#12]
I have used the APA Little Bastard and have recently picked up the Area 419 Hellfire brake.  They reduce recoil about 50% and makes it easier for follow up shots.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:38:28 AM EDT
[#13]
A2.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Beneviolence:
I've used those $20-$30 muzzle brakes that you could get off amazon before and they worked great. Now I use the ASR's so I can have the QD feature.

View Quote

There's a lot more machining that goes into them, and if you shot one side by side with a suppressor mount it makes a huge difference.  It isn't needed for everyone, but for those who want it its and edge you have to have.  For me it is all about spotting my own shots.  Just going out to bang steel it is nice, but not necessarily a must have.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
A can works nowhere near as well as a good brake for recoil reduction.  A good brake gives you a tiny little jolt and the rifle barely moves.  A can makes it more of a gentle push.  I rarely use my cans for precision stuff because I like to be able to see my own shots
View Quote

I am aware of the differences and each device offers different benefits. I ran a muzzle brake last year at PRS comps and I am going with a can this year. Hell I might switch back, but not getting beat up by my own gun via noise and pressure is a huge benefit to me. I have been around too many explosions, my head starts swimming on day 2.

That's just me.

But OP, just about anything on the muzzle will help. The difference is dramatic when adding a simple brake over a bare muzzle.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By dj1975232:
What muzzle devices do you guys use?  <snip>  Am I better off with nothing?
View Quote

I don't use one, up through 30-06.

Are you better off with one: I don't know, and you did not define "better".
But when I am shooting next to you, I really do not like being blasted by your fire.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Depends on what it's for. I am sensitive to blast as well but still run brakes on guns that will see competition. Everything else gets something like a warcomp that helps but isn't nearly as loud as a brake.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Ive used these for years and the plain old A2.

Phantom Comp MB.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone have any experience with the Badger FTE?  Some of the testing I'm finding seems to put that middle of the road balance of recoil reduction and not being the loudest thing on firing line.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#21]
APA little bastard is a little louder than the Badger FTE and noticeably better at recoil reduction.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I have the 223 version and it works amazingly well!

http://www.miculek.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=28
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:35:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tranquility] [#23]
If your neighbors are more than 100-200yds away, then I don't think they will notice a sound difference brake or no brake...
View Quote

Are you sure about that? If a brake makes a rifle sound noticably louder when you are right next to it would it also not sound louder from further away?

I'm asking because I don't know and I would really like to be able to spot my rounds better but noise is a big factor.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:04:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#24]
DT.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Roddy556:

Are you sure about that? If a brake makes a rifle sound noticably louder when you are right next to it would it also not sound louder from further away?

I'm asking because I don't know and I would really like to be able to spot my rounds better but noise is a big factor.
View Quote
It is not making anything louder, it just redirects the sound toward the rear and sides.

Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
It is not making anything louder, it just redirects the sound toward the rear and sides.

View Quote

In that case it may even make it sound quieter to people in the area if it disperses the sound.

This is very good test of noise differences with different muzzle brakes but it didn't really answer my specific question:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/07/muzzle-brakes-sound-test/

I have considered building a box to shoot through that would muffle the sound. Suppressors are 100% prohibited here. There is a petition going around to try to change that but I don't have high hopes.

To be able to shoot on my property with out having to worry that people for a mile around can hear it is my goal.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#27]

I have considered building a box to shoot through that would muffle the sound. Suppressors are 100% prohibited here. There is a petition going around to try to change that but I don't have high hopes.

To be able to shoot on my property with out having to worry that people for a mile around can hear it is my goal.
View Quote
I  built a "silent" bullet trap so I  could test in my house. It works well but is pretty ridiculous. 

I bet you could make something that would work fairly well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#28]
A2 and AAC suppressor mounts,  That's it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Precision Armament M4-72 on my .308.

Outstanding...
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#30]
PVA mad scientist.

Attachment Attached File

Will be replaced by a Mack Bros mount once my can is released.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:33:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#31]
...It's just a .308...  Am I better off with nothing?
View Quote
YES!  IMO, the only muzzle device worth putting on a 308 is a suppressor and it doesn't seem as though one is in the cards for you in the near future...  Failing that, a thread protector has my vote.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Nordic Components Corvette brake. Doesn't increase the noise too badly and seems to be effective. It isn't expensive at all either. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
Area 419 Hellfire.  

Most effective design I've tried, and I've tried quite a few.   It also has a much more simple to use self timing process than other brakes. 
View Quote
I got the 419 Hellfire for my 6.5.  It's my first bolt gun with a compensator and I haven't tried it without but it feels like a non-compensated .223.  Very little felt recoil.

I know a 130 grain bullet can kick since I have a .270. (and more powder with a lighter gun)
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#34]
What muzzle devices do you guys use?
View Quote

a) crown
b) flash supressor
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#35]
SAS Reaper/Barricade/Reaper MX's
SAS Tomb - minimal shift can on vs off and the recoil reduction was better than I anticipated.
TBAC 30p-1's

I'll probably get a Gen 2 APA lil bastard for one of my comp rifles. Those brakes work great when you want to go loud and proud.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Where is a good place to send a barreled action too for an install?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I agree, I hate to be annoying at a range... especially indoors.  I own a suppressor but the problem is my groups start to really open up and I get flyers once my suppressor gets a little warm.  I wish I could say it was just me, but there is a huge difference in my accuracy and groups.

View Quote
What brand suppressor?

I'd have my barrel threads checked and, if they are ok, send email can back to the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#39]

I feel I may be in the minority but I am not okay with this. I try to wear hearing protection all the time but I still don't want to bother my neighbours. I will take recoil over noise. If I could get a can I would be all over that.
View Quote
Says the guy who doesn't shoot any competitions. Even if I didn't shoot competitions, being able to spot my own impacts is worth all the noise and concussion  to my neighbors.  I try to be mindful of whom I'm shooting next to, but sometimes I just can't help it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:32:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_] [#40]
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:

I don't use one, up through 30-06.

Are you better off with one: I don't know, and you did not define "better".
But when I am shooting next to you, I really do not like being blasted by your fire.
View Quote
This.

ETA - Fuck it. I want a brake. I am sending my stick for threads when I can arrange a drop off time.
I can't decide between the little bastard II, PA M4-72, and a few others I have read about. I will wait until I see the rifle post thread job.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#41]
PWS FSC30. Works very well on my AR10 build. Check out youtube videos of it, lots of recoil comparisons.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#42]
I just put a Surefire Procomp 762 on mine. I just wanted something that would help keep me on target and that would help spot hits easier. So far its worked great, and was well worth the money. I didn't want to sped $150-200 on an all out competition brake, seems overkill for me at least...
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I want to put a muzzle brake on my Savage 6.5 creedmoor to remove as much recoil as possible so my daughter can shoot it ...she shoots 5.56 with no problem. .....I thinking either the PVA Mad Scientist or APA lil bastard.....anyone have any thoughts and best place to buy either? Thanks....
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Onlyaspike:
I want to put a muzzle brake on my Savage 6.5 creedmoor to remove as much recoil as possible so my daughter can shoot it ...she shoots 5.56 with no problem. .....I thinking either the PVA Mad Scientist or APA lil bastard.....anyone have any thoughts and best place to buy either? Thanks....
View Quote
The hellfire is more effective than either of those if you are looking for the softest shooting.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#45]
A good brake is more effective..and I could not give a damn if the gun annoys my neighbor, makes him uncomfortable, or causes him sadness. I am there to shoot, not further social relations.

That being said, I shoot with a can, because I like it better. And yes, a 308 absolutely needs a device....hell, a 223 needs a brake or can to be able to spot your shots effectively.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:41:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALex] [#46]
Originally Posted By Beneviolence:

View Quote
Internet never ceases to amaze.

If you're truly wanting a precision rifle, and you're spending thousands of dollars on the system, why would you suddenly go cheap on some Chinese made pile of ass?  I promise you, the Chinese brakes are not made with precision.  

Suffice to say, yes, you are wrong.  Dead wrong.  

OP - I run a Big Chubby on my .260.  Outstanding brake, I have friends running the Mad Scientist, JEC brake, Badger FTE (clamp on) and Little Bastards from APA. They all seem to work very well.

To the guy who said .308 doesn't need a brake...I'd also label you as being wrong. Do you know how many people I see shooting these little 6mm rifles with monster brakes on them?  Shitloads of them.  Why?  As stated before, the device assists shooters in recoil management. This is particularly crucial when the shooter is not shooting off of a bench or proned out, maybe off of a fence post, or something silly, such as a noose!  

Shit, I put brakes on my .223's. Again, I am in the "why would you not" crowd.  I don't see any arguments against outside of the "courtesy" issue, which, IMHO, is not an issue for myself.  For others?  Maybe, but not for myself.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#47]
what's the most common thread size for a brake on a .308 cal barrel. I have a Remington 700P with a heavy 24" barrel?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:38:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Area 419
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Harv24:
what's the most common thread size for a brake on a .308 cal barrel. I have a Remington 700P with a heavy 24" barrel?
View Quote
5/8x24 for 30 is the most common
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#50]
A couple of can users at ranges I use said the brakes they used prior to getting their cans, or their quick release brake currently on their gun opens up their groups significantly. Is that a problem with specific brakes? Can a bad thread job cause the same problem?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top