[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Joe731:
^ found the .308 guy
View Quote
And .30-06 too
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The Lapua cartridges being more popular than creedmoor at the highest levels of competition are no surprise. The small primer allows more flexibility with hot loads.

I had heard people moving back to the 6.5s because spotters could more easily tell hits on steel. Guess that's no longer the case. I feel at most distances matches are shot, the 6mm has an advantage over the 6.5 anyways.

No surprise there isn't a .30 cal. Has there ever been one on these lists?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The .308s are relegated to the tactical division due to the surge in 6mm and 6.5s. That said, a good shooter can still do very well with a .308. I'm not sure where Jered would have finished overall in open/tactical, but I've seen him run some stages impressively with his APA .308.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
I had heard people moving back to the 6.5s because spotters could more easily tell hits on steel. Guess that's no longer the case. I feel at most distances matches are shot, the 6mm has an advantage over the 6.5 anyways.
View Quote

I believe PRS and NRL both have rules now that require any targets beyond 800 yards to have some sort of target hit indicators attached to them (the MGM Targets Sportsman series, or the IRIS system, et al...)  You get no argument regarding the 6's dominating over the 6.5's.  Only benefits the .5's have over the 6's are barrel life and retained kinetic energy.  The target indicators negate benefit #2, unless you're targets are living.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FALex:

I believe PRS and NRL both have rules now that require any targets beyond 800 yards to have some sort of target hit indicators attached to them (the MGM Targets Sportsman series, or the IRIS system, et al...)  You get no argument regarding the 6's dominating over the 6.5's.  Only benefits the .5's have over the 6's are barrel life and retained kinetic energy.  The target indicators negate benefit #2, unless you're targets are living.
View Quote
Yep flashers are required and very nice.  The 6s are going to be king for sure but serious shooters are burning up multiple barrels every season on the fast 6s.  The brass game is changing big time.  Lapua is doing the 6.5 creedmor and alpha is too.  Alpha Munitions brass is every bit as good even with the large primer pocket.   

Inwouldnt put top much stock in the top 100 list.  A lot more oddball stuff in there than what an overall match brass pile would look like.  I could name the two guys shooting 6.5 addiction. 

The information is neat but I wouldn't use it to chase caliber.  A shooter is better off getting good with what they have.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
one thing to take into consideration is these guys are willing to drop the coin on a barrel or two per season to get those advantages with the 6mm's the average joe like myself would rather have a barrel last a few years to get some decent trigger time behind them.

I would still like to build a 6mm brx or dasher one day but not hot rod it like they do. 2850 ft/sec would keep me happy
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:43:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Shoot what you own and get familiar with it.  I have been shooting 6.5 CM for 4 years now but built a 6XC about a year ago.  I like the 6XC much better than the 6.5 CM for competition due less recoil and flatter trajectory.  However, due to the barrel life, I only shoot the 6XC at PRS (and soon NRL) matches.  I use the 6.5 CM for practice and local matches.  My wind holds seem to be about the same to me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:48:25 AM EDT
[#10]
^ found the .308 guy
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:19:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#11]
Uh oh, the 6.5 guys are going to start using .308 guys talking points when the 6mm cult gets going in full force.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:01:18 AM EDT
[#12]
At 500-1000 more rounds per barrel than the 6mm's and an AI barrel costing $800-$900 I'll stick with the 6.5. At least in Vegas local matches its still king by a large margin. For guys that spend the money to travel to a lot of big matches I can see going all out for that extra little bit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:13:03 AM EDT
[#13]
^ found the .308 guy
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
Uh oh, the 6.5 guys are going to start using .308 guys talking points when the 6mm cult gets going in full force.
View Quote
Well they have that, and the 6.5 bullets have a better BC too.  

I'm a get both kind of guy.  For PRS style match use its hard to beat a 6mm though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JCIN:
At 500-1000 more rounds per barrel than the 6mm's and an AI barrel costing $800-$900 I'll stick with the 6.5. At least in Vegas local matches its still king by a large margin. For guys that spend the money to travel to a lot of big matches I can see going all out for that extra little bit.
View Quote

AI barrels from MHSA are less than $600 for either a Krieger tube spun by them or a Bartlein by Tooley. Including your choice of Cerakote IIRC.

MHSA AI Barrels
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top