Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2016 11:32:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ckopp636]
I recently purchased a Remington 700 AAC SD to get into long range/precision shooting. I gotta keep it budget friendly as I am not a wealthy man and I dont have any long range areas to shoot so i cant very well justify stuff the pros would use. I did a little research and found that bases need bedded and the correct torque on screws is pretty important so I got some JB weld for bedding and a Wheeler fat wrench and ordered my parts.

Weaver 20 moa rail (bedded to action)
TPS TSR 30mm super low rings
SWFA Super Sniper 10x42 mil/mil
Timney 510
Magpul DBM

I wanted a better stock like hs precision or manners with m5 bottom metal but seeing as how I am staying budget friendly, I decided to stick with the hogue stock and make the best of it. I took my dremel tool and opened up the barrel channel a decent amount while being sure to not grind into the plastic and weaken it. This allows it to free float even on a bipod or sand bags so I figure i am good enough in that department. Loading into the factory magazine under the rail is a pain and I was wanting detachable mags so I ordered a magpul hunter 700 magwell and went to work on that. I wound up taking a little extra off in spots but overall it turned out pretty good and I am happy with it. It feeds excellent and is far easier to load now plus it looks cool.

Im no match shooter but I am getting about 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards sometimes smaller. Often times I will have 3 bullets packed very tight sub moa but two shots enlarge the group to about 1moa. I have tried both 175 FGGM and 168 FGGM. For my abilities and the hogue stock and all, Id say its pretty good.

Here is a group I fired today after having done the work to the stock to check function and make sure i didnt ruin it by removing material. 3 bullets are right on top of eachother and 2 are slightly away. seems to be how my groups usually turn out. This was 5 shots of FGGM 175 grain at 100 yards

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good!  If it shoots that good consistently I'd say that's a solid rifle.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks nice!
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks good!  Now just practice and those groups will tighten up
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#4]
It is consistent and id like all the practice i can get. It will only get better with time.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:52:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DeutschFNG] [#5]
I know, my marksmann skills will be blamed for the lack of improvement, but my R700 SPS went from the Hogue to a HS-Precision and now sits in a MDT LSS chassis.
I did not notice any measurable change in group size when I compare the average 10 shot groups over several sessions.
At least the rifle fits me way better now, so the swap wasn't in vain.

The Magpul stuff looks good in the Hogue, makes me regret selling mine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:25:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ckopp636] [#6]
If you wish to switch back to a hogue, they can be purchased pretty cheap off ebay. sure its not the best option out there but this is a good shooting rifle for the $1200 thats into it. i cant wait to get a chance to shoot past 100 yards with it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm happy with the LSS.
Have you tried some lighter bullets in yours? Mine loves 150 gr MUCH more than anything else. In particular the Sierra 150 gr Gameking (come with green plastic tip and also boattailed)
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:17:41 AM EDT
[#8]
i have not tried high quality light ammo. ive mainly shot 175 grain but may put more 168 through to see how it does now that im getting better at shooting
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine seems to really like hornady 155 gr match. Mine is sittiing in the magpul hunter 700 with the mag well. I've taken it out to 300 and rings steel with ease. I also have the timney 510 a vortex 6-18 in DNZ one piece mount and an AAC brake for the can I'm waiting on.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice job on the inletting and nice shooting also.  Rifle looks sweet thanks for posting.  Whats the best deals on them magpul dbm?
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:57:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you. i got this magpul dbm for right around $60 or so with free shipping off ebay.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#12]
@ckopp636 did you have to remove any material from the DBM to get it to fit or just the stock? I want to do this with my hogue stock and have read on othets that they had to trim the tabs on top but you're the first I have seen do it on the hogue stock.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 8:47:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bjohnson425] [#13]
I did this last night, same gun except I have the 16.5 and not the 18" barrel.  I also did the 6 round mod to the magpul mag. Feeds like butter now.

Link Posted: 12/28/2016 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice! I did grind a small amount away from the magpul part like the reinforcement ribs for the mag guides and the two small side tabs. Mine feeds smooth as well. very happy with it
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Awesome stuff OP! Nice rifle and set up.
I'm kinda in that same budget mineded long range shooting boat. But I'm rocking a Savage. I have recently found a good shooting spot that I can hopefully stretch myself on distance wise. I'm new to long range stuff, but I'm enjoying the learning and the little victories that come.

I'd post a pic, but I'm too much of a troglodyte for the new and improved Arfcom.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I just switched to a magpul hunter 700 stock but the hogue with the dbm was nice to hold me over for a little while. Id sell the hogue but dont figure its worth enough for the effort of selling
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Bottom metal or plastic?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#18]
magpul magwell is plastic
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ckopp636:
I just switched to a magpul hunter 700 stock but the hogue with the dbm was nice to hold me over for a little while. Id sell the hogue but dont figure its worth enough for the effort of selling
View Quote

I did the exact same thing with the same Hogue stock before switching to the Hunter stock. Only difference is my rifle started a an sps varmint and I had it cut down

I also reinforced the fore-end on the Hogue with 2- 3/16" steel rods and epoxy. It was mostly just to see what could be done with it.  it shot just as good in the Hogue as it does in the Hunter stock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top