Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:
New "What the pros use" article

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/02/16/long-range-calibers-cartridges-what-the-pros-use/
View Quote
Meh. My mind still hasn't changed.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Where the fuck is the right answer? 264 win mag.... If I cant have that Ill take a 6.5cm, 7mm mag, 7mm-08 or 6.5 grendel.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By GSL:
Meh. My mind still hasn't changed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:49:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#4]
Originally Posted By RePp:
Where the fuck is the right answer? 264 win mag.... If I cant have that Ill take a 6.5cm, 7mm mag, 7mm-08 or 6.5 grendel.
View Quote

Step into the future bro 26 and 28 Nosler. I hear brass is cheap.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Step into the future bro 26 and 28 Nosler. I hear brass is cheap.
View Quote

Those doen't sound as cool as 264 win mag or 7mm mag.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#6]

I am ready to make the switch.  Like you pointed out, the 308 was great to learn how to load and how to develop loads, etc.   I have about 300 loaded rounds and another 1000 rounds of components to use, then I think I am going to have my rifle re-barreled in 260 Rem.
View Quote
That ammo has lasted me a lot longer than I thought it would, but I am just about out.  I decided to go with 6.5 CM instead of 260 Rem.  The argument was made that to fully utilize the available high BC 6.5 bullets, the 260 really needs to be a long action.  The longer BC bullets work fine in a short action when chambered in 6.5 CM.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#7]
That ammo has lasted me a lot longer than I thought it would, but I am just about out.  I decided to go with 6.5 CM instead of 260 Rem.  The argument was made that to fully utilize the available high BC 6.5 bullets, the 260 really needs to be a long action.  The longer BC bullets work fine in a short action when chambered in 6.5 CM.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I am ready to make the switch.  Like you pointed out, the 308 was great to learn how to load and how to develop loads, etc.   I have about 300 loaded rounds and another 1000 rounds of components to use, then I think I am going to have my rifle re-barreled in 260 Rem.
There are a lot of guys that run 140’s out of 260 AR platforms.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes

Correct, but if 260 is loaded longer than short action mad length, one can pack it with more powder and really gain its full potential.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 3:35:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CLICKBANGBANG] [#9]
Updated chart... The 6.5 has BCs so slick, it's still gaining speed at 1,200 yards.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#10]
That is the point of the thread, everyone has an opinion.

To quote Old_Painless though, "shooting stuff is fun."
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By erud:
It's good to see you guys having this discussion again. I bet this time it will finally get settled.
That is the point of the thread, everyone has an opinion.

To quote Old_Painless though, "shooting stuff is fun."
I like that,
Shooting stuff IS fun and I don't care what chambering you love.
My current long range fascination  is 45-70. There ya go.
This is America, we develop cartridges and we modify them and blow them out, load big long bullets in them, neck 'em up and down, and do all kinda things to make them somewhat (in our minds) better. It's a GOOD thing that we are able to do that.
I like any and all chambering options because it just might be what "someone" is looking for, mabee not me but you cats make what makes you happy. And shoot it with abandon, I'm on your side! : )
So light primers on your 6.whatever mm, your 308, your dirty nought 6, your lapua, your 30 stinking 30 if it makes you happy : ) I'm all down with you shooting you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:39:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JTMcC] [#11]
Just shoot, shoot often, invite others to shoot, teach your kids to shoot.

ETA And VOTE, invite others to VOTE, teach your kids to VOTE, so we can continue to argue wether 6.5 is superior to 308.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Garbage, immature article.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Lubriplate:

I push a 178gr A-Max to 2880fps with a 3/8 zero group at 200 yards, try that with those wee calibers.

So what are you doing with these calibers? Long distance? big animals? what.

I had to decide over a decade ago, to go with 308, or 30-06. I chose 30-06, and will out distance, and power the 308 & 6.5 what evers.

Both of my 30-06s are the same length as an M1a, and they are both under 4 foot tall. so the 6 foot long ones went out before the 06 was ever invented.

Cost? my signature odd six rounds are less than 30 cents a round. If you buying store bought ammo, you should not even be in this conversion.

700 yards is boring for a 30-06, at 800 yards I hit tomato past cans, try that with your wee rounds.

Thats where we warm up at. its boring with an odd six. Heck we use pulled M80s as plinker ammo at 600 yards.

The smallest caliber in the safe is 7.62, It goes up from there. When I let one loose, no matter the distance, past 1200 yards if need be.
After the pill is sent, we go to the next target, fore that one hit home, and stopped the treat.

To us, anything smaller is just less.
View Quote
That was sad to read.

Back on topic, 6.5 is clearly better to anyone that doesn’t have emotion involved.  I shoot .308 as it’s what I have and I will continue to do so until I wear out my barrel.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:22:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I think there are allot of great calibers out there today.  I think that the 6.5 class has a ton going for it these days, They are incredibly efficient and really extend the range of gas guns.  I think that there is still a place for 308.  I have a 13.5 MWS that is incredibly fun to shoot with a can on it. especially if I keep it within that 500 to 800 yard window.  I also have Built 300WM that i launch 208's at 2900fps.  Its a hammer.

While not a huge fan of 300BO,  I think the Q Mini Fix shooting subsonic is another awesome tool to have in the tool box

I used to be a big proponent of 308 based on ammo availability, but once i got a little more into long range shooting, its really silly to not go with a 6.5 considering I load most of my own ammo. It doesn't cost me any more or take me any longer to load 6.5 over 308.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess I'll bump this thread and say I put away my 308 this year and started shooting 6.5 CM for PRS matches.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I was in the .308 or 6.5 boat a couple of months ago. I went with the Creedmoor and haven’t looked back. It’s a cupcake to shoot and the round’s capabilities far exceed mine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 7:38:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jefflebowski] [#17]
ND.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 8:08:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tronco15] [#18]
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top