Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2015 12:18:04 AM EDT
I've been looking at the Barrett BORS and I'm somewhat intrigued... I think it would be a great way of simplifying taking shots at different distances quickly.  But I find the price of the BORS to be overpriced for what it is.  If it was around $700-800 I'd be all over it, but most places have it for $1200-1400.  I think most of us would agree it's pricey (but whether it's worth the expense to you personally is another subject IMO).  

Anyone have one?  If so, how do you like it (or did you get rid of it)?  If it wasn't so expensive, would you buy one?  Or just don't need/care for it in general?

I'm really not into doing the manual calculations, at least the ones I don't have to do if I can just have a computer do them.. I realize i will have to still compute windage and other factors.  But for the price of the unit, I would just slow my transitions and do them manually (and use more ammo to get the shots).  I'm 1/2 way to buying one, hence why I started this thread.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a gimmick.  Guys on SH have had some input when it was being created and the word is save your money.  Learn how to you make the calculations with pen and paper.  You have to buy the optic in addition to having that BORS system and I believe Leupold is the only optic that will work with the BORS system.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 1:50:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtM4A3] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Aubie1:
It's a gimmick.  Guys on SH have had some input when it was being created and the word is save your money.  Learn how to you make the calculations with pen and paper.  You have to buy the optic in addition to having that BORS system and I believe Leupold is the only optic that will work with the BORS system.
View Quote

I wanted to follow up to this, mainly because I ended up buying one and learned how to use it with certain ammo.  

I disagree that the BORS is a "gimmick"!  I have been able to successfully range targets and quickly dial that shot in to my scope (takes more time if wind is present on the more distant shots).  I have found this tool to worth it TO ME.

First time to the range I zeroed the BORS at 100 yards... I then ranged a gong at 610 yards, and dialed that in to my BORS... and hit it on the first shot.  

While all calculations certainly could be done on pen and paper, there's a reason I use my Iphone now for all my caculations instead of writing them out.. speed and accurately getting those numbers as long as I enter the proper data.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#3]
You could have done the same thing with the $30.00 Applied Ballistics App, and gotten a Horus reticle instead.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:54:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mort] [#4]
The BORs now supports some nightforce nsx scopes.

http://www.allnightforce.com/nightforce-nxs-8-32x56-scopes-with-barrett-bors-systems-s/387.htm

My normal workflow for shooting say a PRS stage is the following.

- Get brief

- Pull out wind meter and make sure no significant changes to temp/pressure

- Find all targets and range find them (when allowed, some matches require range finding during timed stage)

- Get dope from my phone with strelok for each target, write it on ballistic card attached to rifle or armboard

- shoot stage, dialing dope on card, correcting as wind and observation requires.

If I had something like a BORs I could skip a couple of those stages and that would simplify the workflow.

- Get brief

- Find all targets and range find them (when allowed, some matches require range finding during timed stage) write target ranges on ballistic card or armboard

- Shoot stage, dialing elevation up to closest distance displayed on BORs for each target. (It looks like BORs displays windage correction for say 10mph when you dial elevation).

In my opinion the BORs removes the need for a phone or ballistic calculator and wind meter.  Damn, now i'm tempted to get one.

ETA

At a team match this spring my shooting buddy had a Gunwerks G7 BR2 Ballistic Rangefinder.  This rangefinder has built-in thermometer and pressure sensor.  My shooting buddy had it programmed with his BC and bullet speed.  When he was on the gun I would range the targets for him and call out his adjustment.  When I got a good laser on target it would give solid dope within a few seconds.  At longer ranges however it was hard to hold the laser on the target and took longer to get his dope.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mort:

http://www.allnightforce.com/nightforce-nxs-8-32x56-scopes-with-barrett-bors-systems-s/387.htm

- Get brief

- Find all targets and range find them (when allowed, some matches require range finding during timed stage)
 - Get dope from my phone with strelok for each target, write it on ballistic card attached to rifle or armboard
 - shoot stage, dialing dope on card, correcting as wind and observation requires.

If I had something like a BORs I could skip a couple of those stages and that would simplify the workflow.
 - Get brief
 - Find all targets and range find them (when allowed, some matches require range finding during timed stage) write target ranges on ballistic card or armboard

- Shoot stage, dialing elevation up to closest distance displayed on BORs for each target. (It looks like BORs displays windage correction for say 10mph when you dial elevation).

In my opinion the BORs removes the need for a phone or ballistic calculator and wind meter.  Damn, now i'm tempted to get one.

ETA

At a team match this spring my shooting buddy had a Gunwerks G7 BR2 Ballistic Rangefinder.  This rangefinder has built-in thermometer and pressure sensor.  My shooting buddy had it programmed with his BC and bullet speed.  When he was on the gun I would range the targets for him and call out his adjustment.  When I got a good laser on target it would give solid dope within a few seconds.  At longer ranges however it was hard to hold the laser on the target and took longer to get his dope.  
View Quote

BORS dose not eliminate the need for a wind meter, my good man.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AEROMechanic:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AEROMechanic:
Originally Posted By mort:

- Get brief

- Get brief

ETA

Wind meters are really great for reading the wind where the gun is, which almost always has nothing to do with the wind where the target is. Reading the wind is the ticket.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#7]
i used 1 for a week.... u are better off with a 10$ app and a better scope
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been using one for years on multiple 50 cals and it's a good piece of equipment.
I deleted all of the other calibers in the menu and only have my 50bmg load in the menu.
You still need to range your target and read wind, but having every other calculation( Even barometric pressure) taken care of is very helpful.
Especially in the dark and when movement to check your dope card will take time away from pulling the trigger.
Most times it's off, but when I'm shooting past 1K, it's been a good asset.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Neat concept, but too expensive and too scope specific.
Just get a kestrel imo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top