Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2014 12:03:21 AM EDT
Building a 300 Weatherby Mag. Just looking to go to 2k yds with it.  Damn thing will thump the hell out of you, so I decided to get a recoil absorbing stock to (try to) start load development. Well, felt recoil was considerably lowered, but everything forward of the recoil absorber bucks pretty wildly, so I wont be shooting it much until I get a brake installed, which I should have done sooner. It probably wouldn't kick so hard if I used lighter bullets, but I don't see the point of having that much powder capacity just to push 150-180 gr bullets. Have some 208 A-Max's ready to test and have some 215 and 230 gr Bergers sitting around. Anyhow anyone have any ELR experience with a 300 WBY?  
Anyhow
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Dropped it off at the gunsmith a couple days ago, told him to take his time, but I'm finally getting a brake put on. now just have to get some good glass.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SAFEshooters:
Dropped it off at the gunsmith a couple days ago, told him to take his time, but I'm finally getting a brake put on. now just have to get some good glass.
View Quote

What have you been looking at?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:49:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I've been waiting on them to call my powerball nnumbers so I can get Schmidt & Bender PMII 3-27x, but they wont call them, starting to think it's rigged. I'd like to get something nice line S&B, Nightforce ir swarovski, but thats gonna take quite a while rosacea up for.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By SAFEshooters:

Building a 300 Weatherby Mag. Just looking to go to 2k yds with it.  Damn thing will thump the hell out of you, so I decided to get a recoil absorbing stock to (try to) start load development. Well, felt recoil was considerably lowered, but everything forward of the recoil absorber bucks pretty wildly, so I wont be shooting it much until I get a brake installed, which I should have done sooner. It probably wouldn't kick so hard if I used lighter bullets, but I don't see the point of having that much powder capacity just to push 150-180 gr bullets. Have some 208 A-Max's ready to test and have some 215 and 230 gr Bergers sitting around. Anyhow anyone have any ELR experience with a 300 WBY?  

Anyhow
View Quote
I have some information that might help you.  The 230 Bergers can't be pushed fast enough in the 300 WBY to justify their use.  Your best bet will be the 215 Hybrids.  With this load you will need a 30 (minimum) or 40 (optimum) MOA base and a scope with 120 MOA minimum of elevation out of the box.  To get the 300 WBY to 2K will require @100 MOA. This 215 Berger load will drop around 2100 inches at 2K.  

If you are looking at scopes there are only a few options if you are serious about 2K as a goal.  Nightforce ATCAR or Beast, S&B 5-25 PMII or a US Optics offering.  No need looking into other high end scopes like Swaro, Zeiss, etc they can't get you there. There may be others that can get you there but I cannot think of any at the moment.  You will also need a reticle with 20 MOA of holdover. Hopefully this will help you in your choice of optics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top