Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2014 4:52:31 PM EDT
On the AR15 I've learned (and been taught) that trigger follow through is key -- press the trigger until it breaks, remain on the trigger, slowly let the trigger out until it resets, repeat.

I've done the same on my bolt guns (kept trigger pressed to the rear until the shot lands and I "reset" myself for the next shot) with good effect.  However, watching Youtube videos of long-range competitions, nearly everyone I see comes off the trigger the second it breaks.  

What is proper shooting form for a bolt gun?
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I've adjusted my trigger to where there is very little overtravel, if any.  When I press the trigger, I'll stay on it until I see, or hear impact or ground kick up.

My usual is prone  when I shoot, I press the trigger during the pause after exhaling, I wont even inhale until I'm sure the bullet has left the barrel.

I don't know if my method is proper, but it works for me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of LR competitions? PRS or F-Class? Usually, there's a time limit,  and some guys want to get as many rounds off as they can before a wind shift and others take their time to watch the wind and adjust.

For rapid fire with a bolt gun, I release the trigger when it comes down off recoil. With a semi, I wait till it settles after recoil to release.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:01:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tucansam] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
What kind of LR competitions? PRS or F-Class? Usually, there's a time limit,  and some guys want to get as many rounds off as they can before a wind shift and others take their time to watch the wind and adjust.

For rapid fire with a bolt gun, I release the trigger when it comes down off recoil. With a semi, I wait till it settles after recoil to release.
View Quote

Sorry, should have specified.  The "tactical" style competitions, where guys are running around, shooting from various positions and barricades, etc.  I've watched a handful of videos now and most of them are off the trigger before the "BANG" sound even finishes.  Almost like they are jumping off it.  Its weird to see.  Most of the guys are shooting against a clock, but I've seen it in practice videos too.  Even on the clock, the guys are still taking a few seconds of observe impact, let recoil settle, etc.  They're just doing it with their fingers off the trigger.  I don't understand why.  I always thought (and have experienced) that follow through is key.

I do the same as you... after recoil and I settle back in and observe my shot, I take another moment to focus, and then come off the trigger.

FF to the 8:00 minute mark.  I like these guys, they're exceptional shots given their age (I'm sure they edited out their misses, but still).  But at the 8:00 mark is a perfect example of what I keep seeing in all the videos of the various high speed/low drag guys at comps in Idaho, Utah, Colo, etc... shooting $3000+ rifles with $1500-3000+ scopes and coming off instantly after every shot.  Given the cost of their equipment, I presume they are not exactly amateurs (maybe I shouldn't presume) but it just seems like an odd habit to me, and was wondering if there is a tip or trick I am not aware of.

At 13:50 and 14:00 it looks like he literally 'taps' the trigger.  He makes a hit so I'm not judging him, he hits way out there, but it just looks odd to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFhZksjh4DI

ETA direct link above, Flash isn't working embedded for me, not sure if its my machine or what.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:12:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taliv] [#4]
what you are witnessing in that video is very poor form with respect to the trigger pulling.   definitely not the textbook way to pull a trigger and you should keep doing it like you were taught.

these guys are getting away with it because bolt guns have such faster lock time

edit: despite that, they are doing a lot of other things right.  nice video
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:43:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#6]
Speaking of lack of followthrough...

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 4:53:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: J75player] [#7]
nvm
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 5:33:19 AM EDT
[#8]
This is why you have people that are outstanding with a bolt gun, but struggle with a gas gun.  The bolt gun is definitely more forgiving.

The other comment I have is regarding judging someone's skill or experience level based upon the equipment they are using.  I'm not speaking of the guys in the video, but just what I've personally seen or read about on this forum.  There are plenty of first timers that have never done any long range shooting that start out with a $4000+ rifle.  There is nothing wrong with that...buy once cry once and all, but just don't make the assumption that because someone has a $4000+ rifle that it represents some kind of skill or experience level.  A 1/4 minute gun isn't going to do you any good at 1350 yards if you can't make a wind call or understand density altitude etc.  People that start with a gun of that quality also must realize that they will wear out that barrel before they really have it figured out.

So basically do what you have learned is right and don't get caught up in what others are doing or the equipment they are using.

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 3:24:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:59:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#10]
Originally Posted By ReconB4:
I think it's all been said but I'll throw in my two cents. Forget the competition/being timed videos. What I was taught in sniper school I also used in state and national competitions. After squeezing the trigger, keep it back until the recoil is done and you've reaquired your target.
View Quote

^^^ I came to post this.  Follow-through means we want to get back on target and maybe even see our impact.  The trigger remains deliberately to the rear in that case.  I tell people to remain like a statue, with an undisturbed sight picture letting you know you're doing it right.

In competition, you get in a hurry to get onto the next target, and bolt guns with tuned triggers are very forgiving.  I ride gas guns mostly throughout the year, so it feels like cheating when I get on a tuned bolt gun, but I still apply follow-through.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#11]
yep.

it's kind of like the IPSC wizards say, if you want to shoot faster, you have to SEE faster.

if you want to run the bolt faster, learn to see your trace/impact after the shot faster, but the trigger stays back until you see it
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:57:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By ReconB4:

I think it's all been said but I'll throw in my two cents. Forget the competition/being timed videos. What I was taught in sniper school I also used in state and national competitions. After squeezing the trigger, keep it back until the recoil is done and you've reaquired your target.
View Quote
I'd like to add that very often shooters fail to depress the trigger with the correct part of the finger and more importanatly many people fail to put enough emphasis on whether or not they are depressing the trigger straigt back and not unkownoing pulling the trigger and then often the round as a result to one side or the other while breaking the shot.

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:19:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#13]
Here's an example of perfect follow through. This is not me, he's another shooter that comes to most of the same matches I do. He's vastly better at this game than I am. Watch his cheek weld, support hand position, trigger finger and body as he cycles through firing, recoil and back to on target.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4VD44DPJHw

Here's me doing the same thing but with a close-up on the muzzle so you can see the effect of follow-through on muzzle control with a .22lr. Lack of recoil shows how much I move after the shot (which is to try for not at all)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykvJa6FqO9s

Here's me doing a great job of follow-through with a .308 at another match. Notice the cheek-weld and hands don't change until recovery from recoil is complete
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lNX8fBTqZw
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:

Here's me doing the same thing but with a close-up on the muzzle so you can see the effect of follow-through on muzzle control with a .22lr. Lack of recoil shows how much I move after the shot (which is to try for not at all)

View Quote

That one's private.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#15]

That one's private.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:

That one's private.

thanks bud. Fixed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#16]
is it just me, or was the trigger and finger not visible in any of those three videos?
how do you expect us to see perfect trigger pulling if you don't show the trigger?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top