Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2017 1:23:08 AM EDT
I ended up pulling the trigger on a Gen 2 RPR in 308 for my retirement gift, It was between a PSS Police or the RPR.  On average I'm getting 4 shot groups in the .5 MOA range at 100 yds. With the largest being .7 MOA, smallest .35 MOA using 168 SMK FGMM ammo. I got a good piece of glass, a Leupold TMR MK4 14X. I was hoping my handloads would prove as good as FGMM, but the best I'm getting is .6 MOA with Vihtavuori N140 powder. Best with Varget is .75 MOA in a 4 shot group.  With the N140, I'm not getting any fliers. But with the Varget, I'll get 3 rounds touching, then a flier causing me headaches, I don't get it. The flier can be the first it last shot, cold or hot bore, no pattern to it. The groups nearly always include a touching .3 MOA 3 shot group, then that flier that destroys the group. I've checked everything and everything is tight, clean and gun only has 250 rds they it. Doesn't matter if I'm using 168 smk or 178 ELDs, I always get a flier with Varget. For the most part my COAL is 2.800 - 2.880

Any suggestions, and do you think this accuracy is acceptable for this rifle?? My buddies Gen 1 RPR shoots a tad better than mine for some reason.
Im using CCI #200 primers and Lapua brass too.

Was thinking of trying out some 208 Hornadys since the 1/10" twist should like heavy bullets. Any comments, suggestions would be valued.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:43:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Twoboxer] [#1]
IMO the consistency and quality control on those particular FGMM rounds is pretty remarkable. The weight if the entire cartridge doesn't vary much from one to the next, and the components are (obviously) always the same . . . Federal brass and Match Primers, Sierra bullets, and IMR4064.

You do not say how you developed your load. Do you know what the muzzle velocities of the FGMM and your reloads is? Maybe there are some clues there.

For reference, FGMM shot about as well out of my rifle (CZ750) as you reported. My own 308 load uses Lapua 167gr Scenars and N-140 with Lapua brass with Winchester primers, and performs slightly better than FGMM for me. But that's nothing other than to say I've been shooting in the same ballpark as you lol.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I too have suffered the embarrassment of not being able to duplicate the performance of FGMM.  5 shot groups are pretty much .5 MOA with FGMM and .75 with my reloads trying to duplicate it.

Federal Match primers were unobtanium for a while so I was using Winchester.  I finally got some Federal Match primers but the daughter took up my reloading room temporarily and haven't tried them yet.  Hoping you get yours sorted out and I can learn as well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#3]
OP, I am new to reloading. So take my advice for what it is. I got my tips here for the most part.
Your COAL difference is large at .080. I suggest a tighter tolerance, and measure to the ogive. A few thousandths is one thing. 80 is another. Are you weighing your powder, or check it enough to know it is what you intend to load?
The inertia (looks like a hammer) bullet pullers do not damage bullets, powder or brass. I refuse to tell how many I had to re-work.
The Hornady comparator is easy to use as well.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Dupe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top