Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2017 3:24:03 PM EDT
The guy running a local reloading supply shop guy says to definitely not clean with ultrasonic when seeking precision/accuracy with 6.5 Creedmoor (Ruger Precision Rifle, bolt action). He says one needs a layer of carbon buildup inside the brass to insulate from the flash of primer and burn of powder.  He says squeaky clean brass will absorb too much of flash/burn but that tumbling will allow a desirable carbon layer to remain inside the brass and provide for a more consistent burn of powder.  I have been using ultrasonic for my pistol and .223 loads but now for first time with this 6.5 I'm really striving for accuracy at distance. Should I abandon the ultrasonic and tumble instead? I like ultrasonic because it certainly cleans well and there's no dust to deal with.  I'm wondering how many people accept that with all things being equal ultrasonic hurts accuracy compared to tumbling brass.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Call some ammo companies.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sasnak6:
View Quote
I can guess what they would say - don't they use brand new, shiny brass?

Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By PatrickB:
The guy running a local reloading supply shop guy says to definitely not clean with ultrasonic when seeking precision/accuracy with <snip>. He says one needs a layer of carbon buildup inside the brass to insulate from the flash of primer and burn of powder.  He says squeaky clean brass will absorb too much of flash/burn but that tumbling will allow a desirable carbon layer to remain inside the brass and provide for a more consistent burn of powder.
View Quote

As long as the chamber is clean and dry, and the brass is clean and dry, the pressure of the firing cycle will press the brass into the surface texture on the chamber and hold the case as a gasket for the next millisecond or so.

You need to listen to your friend less.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By buoux:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By buoux:
Originally Posted By sasnak6:

This.

I highly doubt they fire ammo just to load ammo.

Just saying.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everybody.  Doesn't seem like there's a great consenus againt the ultrasonic cleaning.  I searched for information on it and the only thing I found was some people talked about this in terms of neck tension saying that a little carbon left inside the case acting as lubrication was good for consistent neck tension.

With so many things to chase and explore in reloading I think I will for the time being keep cleaning with ultrasonic and concentrate on other areas.  I can always come back to this later.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Do a test.  Report the results.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#7]
My ultrasonic cleaner didn't get my brass clean enough so I switched to wet tumbling. 
I've noticed no change in my accuracy, MV or luck playing the lottery 
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:59:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#8]
I've read that carbon on the inside of the neck can act as a lubricant when seating bullets.  If that is the case, it makes sense that a process which yields proper neck tension when reloading dry tumbled cases would yield too much tension with squeaky clean brass.  This can obviously be adjusted for, but I think it might be a good idea to avoid switching up the cleaning method used for any given load.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:37:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#9]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:
I've read that carbon on the inside of the neck can act as a lubricant when seating bullets.  If that is the case, it makes sense that a process which yields proper neck tension when reloading dry tumbled cases would yield too much tension with squeaky clean brass.  This can obviously be adjusted for, but I think it might be a good idea to avoid switching up the cleaning method used for any given load.
View Quote
I was doing some "neck tension" internet research recently and stumbled on a similar article (LINK - ultrasonic cleaning specifically mentioned in bullet point #3!)...  and I think you're right that consistency is the key.  Reloading for "precision" applications is largely about controlling as many variables as possible.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Reorx:
I was doing some "neck tension" internet research recently and stumbled on a similar article (LINK - ultrasonic cleaning specifically mentioned in bullet point #3!)...  and I think you're right that consistency is the key.  Reloading for "precision" applications is largely about controlling as many variables as possible.
View All Quotes
Yes, seems like consistency is the key.  So that makes me wonder whether it's easier to have more consistent conditions with slightly sooty conditions inside the brass or with squeaky clean obtained from either ultrasonic or wet tumbling.  I'm new to all this but it seems to me that maybe the squeaky clean condition would be easiest to replicate each time.  The reason I asked this question is to obviously get the opinions of you guys which are more experienced and have possibly tried both methods.  Thanks for your response.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, seems like consistency is the key.  So that makes me wonder whether it's easier to have more consistent conditions with slightly sooty conditions inside the brass or with squeaky clean obtained from either ultrasonic or wet tumbling.  I'm new to all this but it seems to me that maybe the squeaky clean condition would be easiest to replicate each time.  The reason I asked this question is to obviously get the opinions of you guys which are more experienced and have possibly tried both methods.  Thanks for your response.
View All Quotes
I'm not the guru you seek, but honestly, I doubt this is a first or even second order factor unless you are already doing everything else possible (neck turning, annealing, ect...) for prepping your brass, and you are looking for that last little thing that will give you a < 10fps extreme spread and/or < 1/4 moa groups.  I personally bought a wet tumbler because I like how it cleans the primer pocket.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:12:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#12]
Patrick;

I don't think that your cleaning methodology will make much of a difference either way...  but what I think doesn't really matter!!!  If you want real proof, set up an experiment!.  Take 10 cases and load them the way that you normally do...  divide the group into 2 groups of 5 and mark the cases in 1 group to make them easily identifiable.  Then shoot 2 groups of 5 and save the results (both groups should be indistinguishable).  Then load and shoot the 10 cases as many times as you like (say 10?) with the only difference between the groups being the way that they are cleaned...  One group you will clean with your ultrasonic cleaner and the other group you will not clean at all other than to wipe loose crap off the outside with your hand or a paper towel if necessary - do your best to be otherwise "reasonably nice" to the cases so don't drop them in a mud puddle for example.  After several firing/loading cycles, take the 2 groups out and repeat the shooting of 2 groups you did at the beginning of the experiment and see if anything is any different after not cleaning cases...

Caution: Doing this experiment may result in your questioning why you spent however many dollars on whatever cleaning equipment/supplies you now have.

Side note: When I was a young man in the 1970s, my cousins and I reloaded all sorts of rifle, pistol, and shotgun cartridges.  We were young, ambitious, had more time than money, and did a lot of shooting of various sorts.  We reloaded initially to save $...  We never cleaned a case other than to wipe surface dirt off the outside of the case by hand (if a case was too dirty/grungy we just tossed it!)...  and we had no problems producing good quality ammunition.  To be fair, we did not reload for the type of precision shooting that is the subject of these (precision rifle) forums although taking woodchuck worked pretty well out to about 350 yards with our hand loaded 220 swift ammunition (50-ish grain flat bottom bullet @ ~4,000 fps!).  The limiting factor at that time seemed to be the optics on the rifle (optical magnification/clarity (not great by today's standards); simple crosshairs - no duplex, no BDC, no adjustable turrets)...  just sayin'...  
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Patrick;

I don't think that your cleaning methodology will make much of a difference either way...  but what I think doesn't really matter!!!  If you want real proof, set up an experiment!.  
View Quote
Thanks so much for the information. That sounds like a good test.  I may do exactly that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks so much for the information. That sounds like a good test.  I may do exactly that.
View Quote
You're welcome.  If you do the test, be sure to report back with details and findings...  

Best,

- R -
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:53:04 AM EDT
[#15]
The problem, is with the inside of the neck getting too clean. Two differing metals will tend to "bond" over time, creating deviations in neck tension.

Bare brass, mated to bare copper, will bond over time. Leaving some carbon in the case neck is supposed to prevent this.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/bullets-cold-welding-cases-184346/index2.html
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote
Am considering this true.  Also lubricates the expansion ball when expanding a case neck after sizing, if that is the method u are using.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I think one could argue that without getting the brass as clean as possible each time could cause differing neck tension. If you let carbon build up inside the neck then eventually you will have cases that have a bit more than others which could cause more or less neck tension. I doubt you will see a ton of difference either way but that is my thought on it.

Personally I tumble in ss pins to get inside the case and primer pockets clean, also so that my Templaq has something to stick to so I can gauge temperature when I anneal my cases.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top