Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2017 3:10:31 PM EDT
I need a precision case trimmer for 6.5creedmoor, .308win, and .223rem. I have looked at the powered Giraud, but it's pretty expensive, especially buying separate tools for the different calibers.

I thought I had found the bee's knees when I saw the Giraud Tri-way, but I spoke with Doug Giraud today, and he doesn't have it for 6.5CM and said he wouldn't anytime soon.

So, is there another trimmer that trims, deburrs, and chamfers all in one step, that also contains the brass shavings? (I hate the mess that some trimmers make.)

If not, what do you consider the next best thing?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Gracey.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have experience with it but was looking at Worlds Finest Trimmer and Frankford Arsenal Trimmer before saying screw it and buying the Giraud
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:18:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deezbill] [#4]
RCBS 3-way cutter attaches to the regular lathe trimmer, but RCBS does have an option that supports a power motor.

3-Way Cutter

Trim Pro 2 Power Case Trimmer

...doubt they contain the shavings...
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:45:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#5]
I own a RCBS hand crank trimmer, that's why I bought a Gracey Match-Prep and Giraud-Tool power trimmers. I purchased the Gracey before Giraud was on the market. I have since devoted the Gracey solely to .223 and it does a great job. I'm using Bob Jones Sights carbide blade insets in the Gracey, Giraud also makes a carbide blade for it. This carbide cutter is better than the tool steel blades that came with the Gracey and much easier to adjust.

I eventually purchased the Giraud because I reload a bunch of calibers and swapping cutters and shell holders is much quicker and easier than adjusting the blades on the Gracey. Both tools work great. If you only shoot one caliber the Gracey Match-Prep using the upgraded carbide cutters will serve you well. It is cheaper than the Giraud. If you shoot a lot of calibers then just buy the Giraud and thank yourself later.

I tried Dillon's system before buying the Gracey. I literally gave it away with six sizing/trim dies to a friend for $100. That's how little I liked it.

These top tier power trimmers turn one of the most grueling chores into a relatively painless endeavor. I have never regretted the cost, in fact I consider it one of the best reloading investments I have ever made.

Hind sight is always 20/20, with that being so, money spent on stuff that seemed "good enough" and ended up being spent again for "something better" is always money wasted. Buy what you really want the first time around and you save money over the long haul. You'll have quality tools that will last your lifetime and the lifetime of your heirs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:43:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#6]
I had two Graceys when they were the only game in town.  

Once I saw and tried the Giraud I bought them and sold the Graceys and haven't looked back.

The Giraud is a more elegant and complete design.  For me, probably the best thing going for reloading/handloading since the Dillon 550.

I'll bet you can find a good machinist who can make you a 6.5 Creedmoor bushing for the Giraud.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]
They make the complete giraud trimmer in 6.5, just not the $100 simplified version, correct?

Anyways people tend to focus too much on the value of all this. I had a giraud for a few months and sold it. I use possum hollow and another similar kwick trimmer. You'd have to trim a shitload of brass to justify the giraud. Is it the best, yes. the cost and space on the bench just isn't for me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Yes they make the insert for the actual Giraud trimmer but not the Tri Way.

Yes if you are doing small 50-100 piece batches then the Giraud might not be the best but the last batch of Creedmoor brass I did was 900 pieces and I did about 700 .223 a month or so ago. It saves a ton of time and ease of use over a Possom Hollow and having to go back and chamfer and deburr after trimming. Also easier on the hands. I know as I have and used a few Possom Hollows.
View Quote
Then I think you would get a lot of bang for the buck out of the full giraud trimmer. Periodically they are used on eBay and the forums.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#11]
These top of the line power trimmers are designed for high volume reloaders. The last batch I ran on my Gracey was approximately 5,000 Lake City 5.56mm. There is no reason to buy these premium models if you are only trimming 100+/- at a time. Giraud may sell you a blank holder to the Tri-Way and you can have a gunsmith ream it with a 6.5 Creedmoor chamber reamer.

The World's Finest Trimmer probably comes in 6.5 Creedmoor, but you'll have to debur and chamfer with that unit.

Doug Giraud rarely reveals when he will be making a new caliber conversion simply because he doesn't need the headache of non-stop calls of "are we there yet?" I asked if he would make a 6mmWOA (much rarer than 6.5 Creedmoor) and he said probably not. It wasn't a month or two before he had some in stock.

Check back on his site in a couple of months to see if he adds 6.5 to his Tri-Way trimmer. That's the trimmer (IMO) that will work the best and cost the least for low volume applications.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
These top of the line power trimmers are designed for high volume reloaders. The last batch I ran on my Gracey was approximately 5,000 Lake City 5.56mm. There is no reason to buy these premium models if you are only trimming 100+/- at a time. Giraud may sell you a blank holder to the Tri-Way and you can have a gunsmith ream it with a 6.5 Creedmoor chamber reamer.

The World's Finest Trimmer probably comes in 6.5 Creedmoor, but you'll have to debur and chamfer with that unit.

Doug Giraud rarely reveals when he will be making a new caliber conversion simply because he doesn't need the headache of non-stop calls of "are we there yet?" I asked if he would make a 6mmWOA (much rarer than 6.5 Creedmoor) and he said probably not. It wasn't a month or two before he had some in stock.

Check back on his site in a couple of months to see if he adds 6.5 to his Tri-Way trimmer. That's the trimmer (IMO) that will work the best and cost the least for low volume applications.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

May 17th I asked Doug at Giraud about having a Tri-Way trimmer for 6.5 Creedmoor and he said:

"No.  the 6.5mm Creedmoor is not the intended market for the Triway.   It is intended for the entry level budget conscious reloader, not a more sophisticated user with a higher end match cartridge."
I thanked him and asked what he recommended and didn't hear back.  I have the Tri-way for .223 and 300 BLK and really like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top