Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2017 4:34:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GMZ]
Lucked out and got a box of the Lapua CM brass. Graf's and OTM had it in stock.

Pulled 5 and measured weight, getting some SRP later so I can measure H2O capacity.

ETA: 50.8 gr H2O. Should last for many reloads.

I will probably initially load them with 40.5 gr 4451 with a 140 ELD @ 2.850 with either a BR4 or 450.

Wont be able to shoot these for a few weeks unfortunately.

Weight in grains:

165.2 x2
165.3 x2
165.4 x1

I dont have a ball mic, but necks seem to be .014 length was all 1.910.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:39:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm jealous. I bought hornady ammo thinking the brass was supposed to be good. My cases have a 5-6 grain swing. I'm not used to that kinda drama. They do seem closer in volume though so it might just be a brass density thing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#2]
OP sucks!

I should thank you though. I got on there last night and backordered 100 Lapua cases, some H4350 and some 140gr ELDM.

Now I'll just have to wait and see if I get any of it this year.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Anybody who is interested in Lapua should check out Alpha.  It's less expensive and American made which is cool.  Quality appears to be just as good if not better.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
Anybody who is interested in Lapua should check out Alpha.  It's less expensive and American made which is cool.  Quality appears to be just as good if not better.
View Quote
That's a huge statement to make without backup or justification
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:02:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#5]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
View Quote
I've seen a torture test done by a friend of mine.  Single case was fired 34 times.    17 times before primer pocket was considered out of spec.  Never blew a primer.

They have quite a bit of stuff on their Facebook page of testing done by users.  It's new product, but it's been done right.

The claim is not without back up.

Feel free to check them out on social media.  There are also some threads on the hide about it.  Copper Creek also has been loading ammo using it.  Ive heard a lot of good and not a single bad thing about it so far.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I heard about Alpha from one of the large reloading equipment companies.  And, the person in question
had nothing but strong praise for their brass, the 6.5 Creedmoor in particular!  So there is merit to praising
ALpha Munitions
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 6:02:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#7]
I've seen a torture test done by a friend of mine.  Single case was fired 34 times.    17 times before primer pocket was considered out of spec.  Never blew a primer.

They have quite a bit of stuff on their Facebook page of testing done by users.  It's new product, but it's been done right.

Feel free to check them out on social media.  There are also some threads on the hide about it.  Copper Creek also has been loading ammo using it.  Ive heard a lot of good and not a single bad thing about it so far.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks for the info. This site is my only form of 'social media'

I would be interested to see if @popnfresh @motor or @dryflash3 have used it or heard of it
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#8]

I would be interested to see if @popnfresh @motor or @dryflash3 have used it or heard of it
View Quote
Those guys do some great testing, but so do other people on and off of this site.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:10:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#9]

View Quote
Out of Stock in cartridges I have, I won't be trying it. I wouldn't hesitate to try it if I had a 6.5CM especially considering Lapua is on BO.

If they can drill (not punch)the flash holes centered in the primer pockets and make the case wall thickness uniform around the circumference and case to case..... and maintain  close volumes case to case, I  am sure it will be fine brass. From all my measuring in the cartridges I have, Lapua can do it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:57:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GMZ] [#10]
ETA: Looks like Cabela's has it in stock 130 pm 26 Feb

Im surprised at availability in a good way, this was only alluded to last fall and then debuted at SHOT and it has to be one of the biggest releases in the PR world this year. I had thought that the first shipments would be "allocated" to sponsored shooters and guys with YouTube channels to spread the hype and that it would be a while before normal guys got their hands on any. Its nice to see companies learning from others' rollout disasters. The Alpha stuff sure looks great too, its nice to see the market explode with new products like it has recently. Hopefully I can shoot them this Thursday.

I was actually taking a dump at work when I got the in stock email from OTM. After I calmed myself, I ordered a box.

I loaded them all up this morning and afterwards thought about something I hadn't before, I may have to get a new decap pin.

Flash hole .059
Lyman pin .070
Lee pin .065
RCBS pin .060

I know we all like pics so here is a couple more, I loaded them as follows:

Hornady 140 gr ELD-M
40.5 gr IMR 4451
CCI 450
@2.850

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By GMZ:

Im surprised at availability in a good way, this was only alluded to last fall and then debuted at SHOT and it has to be one of the biggest releases in the PR world this year. I had thought that the first shipments would be "allocated" to sponsored shooters and guys with YouTube channels to spread the hype and that it would be a while before normal guys got their hands on any. Its nice to see companies learning from others' rollout disasters. The Alpha stuff sure looks great too, its nice to see the market explode with new products like it has recently. Hopefully I can shoot them this Thursday.

I was actually taking a dump at work when I got the in stock email from OTM. After I calmed myself, I ordered a box.

I loaded them all up this morning and afterwards thought about something I hadn't before, I may have to get a new decap pin.

Flash hole .059
Lyman pin .070
Lee pin .065
RCBS pin .060

Hornady 140 gr ELD-M
40.5 gr IMR 4451
CCI 450
@2.850

http://i68.tinypic.com/11b3g5v.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/2h4waqq.jpg
View Quote

GMZ, I just wanted to sincerely thank you for putting that tip out there. I was able to order 100 cases, which if they get 10 loadings per case like people say, will get me 1000 rounds fired at the range.

I really love this place because information sharing like this gives us all a leg up on the competition when it comes to acquiring the coolest stuff, learning the best techniques, etc.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By GMZ:

Flash hole .059
Lyman pin .070
Lee pin .065
RCBS pin .060

Hornady 140 gr ELD-M
40.5 gr IMR 4451
CCI 450
@2.850

http://i68.tinypic.com/11b3g5v.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/2h4waqq.jpg
View Quote
I had to grind down my Lee Uni. decapping die pin for my Lapua 6.5G brass
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#13]
So is the neck thickness on these things generally consistent enough to make neck turning unnecessary for the average non benchrest shooter?

Also, if these things use a small rifle primer  instead of a large rifle primers, then why wouldn't they be better served with a small rifle magnum primer?

Also, can anyone say how they adjusted their powder charge for these cases?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By hkusp9:
So is the neck thickness on these things generally consistent enough to make neck turning unnecessary for the average non benchrest shooter?

Also, if these things use a small rifle primer  instead of a large rifle primers, then why wouldn't they be better served with a small rifle magnum primer?

Also, can anyone say how they adjusted their powder charge for these cases?
View Quote

I've never turned necks on Lapua, it's always been pretty solid.  You could play with primers, but a regular primer will probably be find, especially using the extruded powders that work well.

I haven't played with this at all, but the Alpha which is a touch less capacity powder charges definitely game down.  Charge weights will likely be closer to 42 than 42.5
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't bother turning necks on Lapua either, they've been consistent enough for me. I'm hoping to get 20+ loads out of them like the 6.5x47 guys do with theirs and with the small primers I think that's well within the realm of probability. For a data point only some guys on the new-old Hide have charged them up to 44-44.5 before they got sticky lifts.

As far as primers I went with 450's because they were available locally and I got a MIR. This chart didn't hurt either.

Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not totally sure that primer pocket size helps case longevity after seeing a recent torture test  on a LP piece of brass.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Why?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:01:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
Why?
View Quote

Twice the expected case life and consistency as Hornady brass for roughly the same price. Why not?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:19:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hkusp9] [#20]

I've never turned necks on Lapua, it's always been pretty solid.  You could play with primers, but a regular primer will probably be find, especially using the extruded powders that work well.

I haven't played with this at all, but the Alpha which is a touch less capacity powder charges definitely game down.  Charge weights will likely be closer to 42 than 42.5
View Quote

Im going back to Bergers exclusively since the ELD-M is too hard to come by now. I think I'm going to do a ladder test with this Lapua brass, the Berger 140gr. Hybrids, H4350 and some match small rifle (non-magnum) primers.

I was loading 42 grains in hornady brass for everything 140-143 grain in my Ruger Precision Rifle but with the Lapua brass being able to go a little hotter, I would like to play around with this accuracy node concept and see if it prefers something else maybe in the 42-43 grain range.

Also, I have a Whidden full lengh sizing die with 2 of the redding style floating neck bushing for neck tension and I'm thinking of going to neck sizing only for these lapua cases and just full length resizing every 4-5 reloads.

Any thoughts on this plan?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Twice the expected case life and consistency as Hornady brass for roughly the same price. Why not?
View Quote
I like nice brass, but it is pushing doubt the price of Hornady.  Hornady is closer to 70/1000, Lapua is 125/1000
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:45:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#22]

Im going back to Bergers exclusively since the ELD-M is too hard to come by now. I think I'm going to do a ladder test with this Lapua brass, the Berger 140gr. Hybrids, H4350 and some match small rifle (non-magnum) primers.

I was loading 42 grains in hornady brass for everything 140-143 grain in my Ruger Precision Rifle but with the Lapua brass being able to go a little hotter, I would like to play around with this accuracy node concept and see if it prefers something else maybe in the 42-43 grain range.

Also, I have a Whidden full lengh sizing die with 2 of the redding style floating neck bushing for neck tension and I'm thinking of going to neck sizing only for these lapua cases and just full length resizing every 4-5 reloads.

Any thoughts on this plan?
View Quote
Neck sizing is a waste of time.  I FL size everything every time and bump my shoulders .002 each time.  That is the most consistent reliable ammo every time.  FL sizing correctly does not hurt brass the least bit.  I also anneal every 3 firings not just for case life, but for consistent ES.  I neck sized a few years ago and it had a few cons and zero pros. 

I had an RPR for a while, and I found the factory chambers to be sloppy, so They would handle higher powder charges to get the same velocity as custom barrels chambered in the same thing.  When I smoked my factory barrel and put on a criterion, I dropped my charge 1.3 grains and only lost 25 fps.  So you may be able to to bump the charges up to find a nice accurate load that isn't crazy on pressure.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
He may have been talking about your feet in the photo. 
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:56:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ziarifleman] [#24]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
View All Quotes

This guy gets it.

I'm thrilled as hell about this and I really love that Lapua underestimated the demand. The first pallet of that that showed up was gone in an hour.
Now I can have the best brass for all my 6.5s.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 3:02:17 AM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes

Lol, took me a minute to get that.
But it's Arfcom, I thought all gun related pictures were supposed to include feet and all dinner pics were supposed to have a stapler, tape measure and a uber cool tactical / non-dinner knife!
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Recommended H4350 charge range???
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Recommended H4350 charge range???
View Quote
Not to recommend a load or anything but somewhere around 42.5 grains works really well with 140gr bullets.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:08:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hkusp9] [#28]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
Not to recommend a load or anything but somewhere around 42.5 grains works really well with 140gr bullets.
View Quote
You're saying thats even with the reduced case volume of Lapua brass?

ETA: okay

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:46:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hkusp9] [#29]
Attachment Attached File

So I was using 42 grains of H4350 with Hornady brass and this lapua brass tightened my groups up a little.

I only tested charges from 42 to 42.5 so maybe I should have tried a larger charge range because I'm not sure which group was the best out of those at 100 yards.

I will say that there were zero pressure signs in any of it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Let's assume that this is what it claims it is, posted in a thread about Lapua 6.5 CM brass no less.

How many years has this company produced brass?

Have they produced the gold standard in brass since 1923?  Think about how many gold medals and competitions have been won by people using Lapua brass before any of us were even born.

Think about establishing and maintaining a reputation over the past 94 years, with consistent brass that is what all other brass is measured by.

Why anyone would post advertisements for someone else's brass in a thread like this comes across strange to me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not totally sure that primer pocket size helps case longevity after seeing a recent torture test  on a LP piece of brass.
View Quote
It does.

Simple physics.

With SRP, you have more mass in the base, so more ability to heat sink.

With LRP, you don't.  It's much easier to push around brass with LRP when near or at plasticity, whereas it is harder to get the base to go into a plastic stage when you have SRP.

The Lapua 6.5 CM brass will allow wider accuracy nodes as a result, with more pressure tolerance, and more case life.

We see this all the time in 6.5 Grendel.  You can get 20 loads + in Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass.

The PPU brass with LRP loses primer pocket tension first firing.

Hornady SRP brass doesn't last as long as Lapua, but it's still great brass.

I you push pressure well beyond SAAMI MAP with any brass, you will loosen the pockets first firing in many cases.

I had a sniper partner who liked to load 140gr VLDs in 6.5x47 Lapua to over 3000fps from a 25" RPA action.

Pockets were loose after first firing, which should come as no surprise to anyone.  He was 250fps faster with a 25" pipe than published max loads from Vihtavuori with a 27.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

Let's assume that this is what it claims it is, posted in a thread about Lapua 6.5 CM brass no less.

How many years has this company produced brass?

Have they produced the gold standard in brass since 1923?  Think about how many gold medals and competitions have been won by people using Lapua brass before any of us were even born.

Think about establishing and maintaining a reputation over the past 94 years, with consistent brass that is what all other brass is measured by.

Why anyone would post advertisements for someone else's brass in a thread like this comes across strange to me.
View Quote
I've bought the stuff and have been shooting it.  Nothing wrong with Lapua as everything you said is true.  I still have guns that use lapua brass and won't be changing that.

Competition and innovation are good for everyone.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:13:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
I bought 200 6.5 Creedmoor Lapua cases last week, and weighed every case.  The weights range from 164.6 grains (1 case) to 166.8 grains (2 cases).  Both boxes are from the same lot, but the weights were not distributed uniformly between the boxes, one held more heavy cases, the other held more light cases.

I'm anxious to get them loaded but I haven't bought bushings for my sizer die yet.

The flash holes are tiny and look odd.
View Quote
You've used Lapua before, right? They're famous for that 1.5mm flash hole.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:43:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top