Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2016 12:31:37 AM EDT
Just sold a gun and raised some money, thinking seriously about ordering one. Thoughts or recommendations?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:13:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Twoboxer] [#1]
I own a CED M2, a MagnetoSpeed V1, and now the Labradar. You already know why the LR is superior to an optical chrono. If you can attach  the MS's bayonet to your firearm, the odds are pretty good it will change your POI. And if you believe that barrel tuners can change your group size as many do, the MS must also have some effect on group size at some point as well.

The downsides to the LR are few. Cost of course. The LR reacts to the sound of your shot and then looks for the projectile's path. With multiple shooters nearby, it takes some operating experience to adjust sensitivity and alignment to record your shots without the LR reacting to the others. If you are shooting suppressed amid other shooters you may have significant problems. Finally, some have reported difficulty recording shots in excess of 4000fps. If real, that issue is a non-issue for me and likely for most folks.

Recently shot at targets every 100 yards out to 1200 yards and then at one mile, and every shot was chron'd . . . something you really can't do with any other chrono. Bottom line is I've had mine for nearly a year and it's one of the top 2 or 3 pieces of gear I've ever bought.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I was one of the first to get one (serial # 0004) and trust me when I say its worth every penny. It will take time to make the adjustments that work for you. I have emailed them asking to come out with a mini keyboard as the unit on there holder is a little flimsy. It was my 1st chrono and glad I spent the bucks. If your order it, get the external battery. It eats AA batteries but it basically a mini dopler radar.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Worth it, I like mine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I played around with a friends, amazing gear.  Unless there are other shooters on the line.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Ordered, be in end of week.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Only had mine since July, but worth every penny!
An issue that cropped up was wind.  Where I shoot  is frequently windy and the LR unit will catch the breeze like a sail and shake.  Working on 'SOMETHING' to use or make as a break wind.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I use the hell out of them lately. One of the guys I shoot with got his before they were released for general delivery. They're fantastic but they have their idiosyncrasies. If you're going to be stationary then definitely, better than anything else. If you're going to be moving around then I like the magnetospeed V3.

It's the only chronograph that you can use with a black powder canon and know for sure you won't blow it up on the first shot.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#8]
my cousin bought one a few months back. after we figured out how to operate the damn thing I love it! (yes you really need to read the instructions on this one ) I just bring a SD card with me and when it's my turn up I just plug in and everything I shoot is logged. we take turns buying expensive gear. next is my turn buying a kestrel
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is my comparison of it vs a magnetospeed last weekend.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#10]
AppliedBallistics just sent me this email

. After extensive testing and evaluation, we are proud to announce that we will be carrying the Lab Radar in our store! Having put multiple devices through a battery of tests both in the lab and in the field we have found it to be an exceptionally accurate, and reliable device. We now use the Lab Radar for all measurements outside the lab and have found it to be a trustworthy investment.

We will be releasing results and application of the Lab Radar in the future publications, and will discuss its performance in the upcoming seminar in 4 weeks.

This is a product we can firmly say you can trust. Backed by research, and field testing. When it comes to testing muzzle velocity, this is our number one recommendation.

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad I bought mine when 1st offered. It's my 1st chronograph. Money well spent!
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:24:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buoux] [#12]
Just recently got mine...

.... fumbling through the manual & learning the menus..

Looks like my 115gr RN 9mm handloads are just under 1280fps SD 15.6

Hornady Factory 140gr 6.5CM loads out of a 26" 8T bbl are around 2840 fps SD 15.3,

and my H4350 41.4 gr. with 140gr. AMAX 6.5CM handloads are at about 2804 fps SD 4.6 - 7.7

Good stuff - I still need to become more familiar with it and its' operation.

The MagnetoSpeed is somewhat more intuitive for me and it's slightly easier to set up.

Before I make any rash decisions (to sell one or the other) I'll do a side by side comparison.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 1:09:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I just ordered one yesterday and it shipped today. Also picked up the bench mount and carrying case (I already have a 12,000 mah battery). I've been using a friends Magnetospeed on my bolt action rifles and I really like it's simplicity, however I'm unable to use it on any AR's due to the hand guard and I don't want to have to remove my bipod in order to attach it with an adapter that has very specific requirements for it to work so I just sucked it up and bought LabRadar. I have no doubt I'll be happy with my decision.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:54:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wanabgunsmith] [#14]
I got a magnetospeed v3 and I love how easy it is to set up and get started. Had a caldwell chrono before i shot it
Got the V3 for 320$. Over half the cost. Dunno about accuracy but litz says theyre about as good as the lab radar if i read him correctly
Pain to switch from gun to gun but i do it constantly and it gets easier.
Anyone would be happy either way
Ps i shoot suppressed 100% of the time. The lab radar has a harder time with that so that affected my decision.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 1:49:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Wanabgunsmith:

I got a magnetospeed v3 and I love how easy it is to set up and get started. Had a caldwell chrono before i shot it

Got the V3 for 320$. Over half the cost. Dunno about accuracy but litz says theyre about as good as the lab radar if i read him correctly

Pain to switch from gun to gun but i do it constantly and it gets easier.

Anyone would be happy either way

Ps i shoot suppressed 100% of the time. The lab radar has a harder time with that so that affected my decision.
View Quote
I Ended up getting the external mic for mine and it has picked up 100% of the shots since then.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I am just glad they don't take PayPal(6 mos no payments) or sell them on Amazon Prime.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
I am just glad they don't take PayPal(6 mos no payments) or sell them on Amazon Prime.
View Quote

Same here ;-)
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]
When the labradar first came out, I thought it could only read out to 100 yards.  Are there versions that will read further or do you move the sensor out farther to read longer range targets than 100 yards?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By sigman68:
When the labradar first came out, I thought it could only read out to 100 yards.  Are there versions that will read further or do you move the sensor out farther to read longer range targets than 100 yards?
View Quote
No, but my understanding is hey can change the firmware and increase the powder. By how much? I don't know. 
It also has a Bluetooth radio in it that has not been implemented yet. 
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:12:41 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
IME, the LR will read small projectiles (eg 22LR) out to ~50 yds and 168gr 308s out to about 80yds. It may on a good day with a larger cross-section projectile read out further. Personally, I have found no use for this data including trying to refine BCs based on performance out to 80yds. YMMV.

There is no remote sensor or read-out so it is not practical to move the unit out to (eg) 100 yards. The LR reacts to the sound of your shot, and it doesn't seem practical to hook up a remote microphone at your bench attached to the LR unit 100yds away. If you were successful in doing that, there is then the ballistics issue of getting the projectile to pass close enough to the LR 100 yds away without hitting it or finding the LR misaligned to the projectile's path.

Long way of saying "No".
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#21]
If your not getting readings at 100 yards, then its not lined up correctly. One of the draw backs of the labradar is no built in sight on it. The V notch sucks. There are work arounds but should have had a built in sighting system on it. Also suggested to them for an attached keyboard or wireless keyboard to change data as the mounting system is flimsy. Am only interested in the info coming out of the barrel so don't use the other distance data.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:26:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
If your not getting readings at 100 yards, then its not lined up correctly.
View Quote

Even when showing full strength on the signal meter, I've never gotten a track past 75 yards with a .264 diameter bullet.

This doesn't bother me in the least.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:52:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By USPcompact:

Even when showing full strength on the signal meter, I've never gotten a track past 75 yards with a .264 diameter bullet.

View Quote
This is been my experience as well. On .264 it's been about 60 yards 
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#24]
My cousin bought one and I will be purchasing one in the future. by far the best piece of kit I've worked with by far. the only thing we have had issues with is even with the sensitivity turned all the way up it intermittently won't pick up the shot with his ultra 7 on. (suppressor)
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USPcompact:

For shits and giggles I upped the last distance to 90 yards today.  It tracked 10 consecutive shots at that distance.   I need to pull the SD card and see the distance where it lost track.

That said, not sure there's any useful info to be gained from tracking to 90 yards.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 3:30:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Twoboxer] [#26]
Originally Posted By USPcompact:For shits and giggles I upped the last distance to 90 yards today.  It tracked 10 consecutive shots at that distance.   I need to pull the SD card and see the distance where it lost track.

That said, not sure there's any useful info to be gained from tracking to 90 yards.
View Quote
When you do that, take careful note of the detailed velocity readings as the projectile moves downrange.

Before the LR totally loses the projectile, you will most likely see small velocity wobbles that are impossible . . . eg faster at 90 yds than at 80yds.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Twoboxer:
When you do that, take careful note of the detailed velocity readings as the projectile moves downrange.

Before the LR totally loses the projectile, you will most likely see small velocity wobbles that are impossible . . . eg faster at 90 yds than at 80yds.
View Quote
Interesting.... I'm gonna have to check for that. 
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:46:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: garred8787] [#28]
If your not getting readings at 100 yards, then its not lined up correctly. One of the draw backs of the labradar is no built in sight on it. The V notch sucks. There are work arounds but should have had a built in sighting system on it. Also suggested to them for an attached keyboard or wireless keyboard to change data as the mounting system is flimsy. Am only interested in the info coming out of the barrel so don't use the other distance data.
View Quote

I use a piece of soda straw sitting in the v-notch to point it at the target
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By garred8787:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By garred8787:

I use a cheap plastic speed square (it's even orange) pressed against the face and aligned with the notch.   Dead simple.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#30]
No, but my understanding is hey can change the firmware and increase the powder. By how much? I don't know. 
It also has a Bluetooth radio in it that has not been implemented yet
View All Quotes
It also has a Bluetooth radio in it that has not been implemented yet

Interesting.  As another option, they sell SD cards that are coupled with built-in wifi in the card - for surprisingly cheap.  Has anyone tried one of those with the LabRadar?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Interesting.  As another option, they sell SD cards that are coupled with built-in wifi in the card - for surprisingly cheap.  Has anyone tried one of those with the LabRadar?
View Quote
No one has. The radio in the Labradar is currently inoperable pending whether the necessary firmware is developed and released.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:39:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#32]
No one has. The radio in the Labradar is currently inoperable pending whether the necessary firmware is developed and released.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

As far as I understand it, the wifi built into the SD cards is independent of the host equipment, so it doesn't matter if the labradar supports it or not, if it's a standard SD slot, that SD card becomes a wifi broadcasing device that a computer can connect to, to pull off the data wirelessly, like it's connecting to a wifihost.  Or at least, I think that's how WIFI_Sd-cards work.

https://www.amazon.com/Memory-Class-New-Generation-Share/dp/B00AKONZ3U?tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:47:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Twoboxer] [#33]
Sorry lol, I missed the point!

Personally I have no interest in transferring the .csv files to a "device" that doesn't accept USB input. But I know others may feel differently.

Not familiar with the technology, so did some searching. I couldn't find any card that indicated compatibility with anything but "most cameras" or "a camera". The only file transfers I saw mentioned were "pictures and videos".

Certainly not an exhaustive search . . . maybe someone knows of a card that at least claims to be able to transfer any file type. Might be worth trying that one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I talked to the guy at Labradar about a year ago when he mentioned the Bluetooth. He also said there's a phone app in development. 
He made mention of it having a lot of capabilities that aren't implemented yet. 
Keep in mind this was almost a year ago and nothing has happened yet... so...?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:33:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Took out the labradar again today, much better success but still along way from perfect. Used the straw method to aim  unit. I was on a rickety bench and the whole system wobbled, even with 17lb 223 recoil. unit would move over time just from recoil and have to be readjusted. averaged around 70% reads with 80 to 60% of shots registering.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Was out last weekend shooting my 338LM. Miss half my shots. Trying to get it close to the rifle so the blast from the muzzle brake wouldn't damage mine. 1st time having this much difficulty.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Talked to Labradar today. Was having issues with it being sluggish going through the menu between shots. Told me to reformat the SD card. Since I had him on the phone, asked about the blue tooth app. Said hopefully be out next month or so. Will be great not to mess with the unit itself.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Talked to Labradar today. Was having issues with it being sluggish going through the menu between shots. Told me to reformat the SD card. Since I had him on the phone, asked about the blue tooth app. Said hopefully be out next month or so. Will be great not to mess with the unit itself.
View Quote

That will be awesome if it works smoothly.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:11:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#39]
View Quote

Did the SD card reformat fix it?

Still mulling over getting one of these, but thinking the cash might be better utilized on a A&D FX120i and Autotrickler combo.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:. . . Still mulling over getting one of these, but thinking the cash might be better utilized on a A&D FX120i and Autotrickler combo.
View Quote
Tough choice lol. Personally, I'd start with the scale. It can have a direct effect on group size.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 7:01:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Tough choice lol. Personally, I'd start with the scale. It can have a direct effect on group size.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:. . . Still mulling over getting one of these, but thinking the cash might be better utilized on a A&D FX120i and Autotrickler combo.

Yeah, the chronograph would make life easier to get set up when I just want to blast away with a bunch of different loads and collect data, but I think my Chargemaster is starting to get wonky.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:49:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stooxie] [#42]
I bought one a month ago and have used it a few times. As others have said, truly one of the most impressive products I've ever purchased in terms of living up to expectations. So easy to use and once you learn the menus it's super easy to operate. By "learning the menus" I really mean just remembering that holding down the target button is the way to get back to the top menu. Not having to mess with light diffusers, aligning an optical chronometer or waiting for a ceasefire to set up is priceless. Not having to wait forever during a ceasefire for someone else to set up their chrono is nice, too.

I don't bother with AA batteries, I just use a cheap 10,000mah USB battery. Works like a champ and seems like it would power it for at least 24 hours.

I love doppler mode for when I use a suppressor.

One thing that totally surprised me what that it will almost always) get readings beyond a paper target. I guess it makes sense, a paper target with cardboard backing isn't going to absorb the radar signal, but I was damn impressed.

Can't recommend this thing enough.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Did the SD card reformat fix it?

Still mulling over getting one of these, but thinking the cash might be better utilized on a A&D FX120i and Autotrickler combo.
View Quote

I did reformat and it seems to have fixed the sluggish response but won't know for sure until I get back out to the range. I will tell anyone that you will not regret buying one of these. As was posted, nice NOT to have to wait for a cold range to make changes. When the blue tooth app comes out, will make this chronograph even better.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:31:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#44]

I did reformat and it seems to have fixed the sluggish response but won't know for sure until I get back out to the range. I will tell anyone that you will not regret buying one of these. As was posted, nice NOT to have to wait for a cold range to make changes. When the blue tooth app comes out, will make this chronograph even better.
View Quote

Thanks for the follow up.

I'm blessed to shoot on private land so the range is cold/hot when I decide to make either way.

My issue is when you have clouds moving in and out and your 10rds for chrono dev becomes an 8rd dataset because a cloud happened to move in and your sunscreens weren't needed/screwed the optical chrono's 'eyes'
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Nice thing about the labradar is weather doesn't screw with it. Was out yesterday with mine. Reformatting the card fixed the sluggishness. I have a 8GB card but will get a 4gb to help speed it up more.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm saving up for a LR myself. I normally shoot alone on my own property, so no worries about other shots affecting the readings. My main reason for wanting one is just the technology behind it and how much more can be done using it, and not affecting barrel harmonics.

It'll cut down load development time since currently I load, then shoot for groups, then load and shoot the best group charge weights with the Magnetospeed attached, then start mass producing loads. The MS definitely opens up and shifts my groupings. One the other day I dialed in for my 6.5 shoots 5 shot ragged holes, and then with the MS attached it is an almost 1.2" vertical string grouping...
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Just ordered one of these.   Sure will be nice instead of using a magnetospeed and suppressor combo.   I melted a mounting plate once.     Spoke with the salesman.   Bluetooth app for iOS and android should be out within a month or so.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By delirious1:
Just ordered one of these.   Sure will be nice instead of using a magnetospeed and suppressor combo.   I melted a mounting plate once.     Spoke with the salesman.   Bluetooth app for iOS and android should be out within a month or so.
View Quote
Make sure you get the airgun kit for it if you're gonna be using it suppressed. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#49]
I've just been using it in Doppler mode for suppressed.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I did that too while waiting for the airgun kit.. the drain on my power pack was noticeably more in Doppler mode. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top