Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2015 9:40:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hotrodjcc]
I am shooting 1k tomorrow and I'm trying to figure out which Ballistic calculator to go by. I will be shooting either 168gr amax or 168gr FGMM. I know a heavier bullet is better but its kind of a last minute deal. My Vortex Ballistics calculator is telling me 11.13 Mils at 1k and Applied Ballistics is giving me a figure of 13.3mils with the same elevation and weather. Which do you feel is a more trust worthy program? FPS is a hair under 2,500
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#1]
JBM says 14.4 mils for 168 SMK [Litz] at 2500 fps.
But if you look at the drop curve, it really falls off the cliff (sic) after 900.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:
JBM says 14.4 mils for 168 SMK [Litz] at 2500 fps.
But if you look at the drop curve, it really falls off the cliff (sic) after 900.
View Quote

Yeah I know. I go from 8 mils at 800 to something past 12 on my ballistics calculator at home. Unfortunately with today's wind in the match, nobody was able to connect at 1k
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I got 14.5 for the AMAX and 14.8 for the SMK assuming 2480 MV.  That off course is assuming they are still stable.  I believe the AMAX also handles going transonic better.  You definitely will be nowhere close to 11 mils.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:07:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hotrodjcc] [#4]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
I got 14.5 for the AMAX and 14.8 for the SMK assuming 2480 MV.  That off course is assuming they are still stable.  I believe the AMAX also handles going transonic better.  You definitely will be nowhere close to 11 mils.
View Quote

Yeah, I hear 168gr FGMM isnt very good past 800 yards, stability wise. A few long range guys I know swear by applied ballistics
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By hotrodjcc:
Yeah, I hear 168gr FGMM isnt very good past 80 yards,
View Quote

Missing a zero (0)........
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:43:30 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yeah, I hear 168gr FGMM isnt very good past 80 yards,

Noticed that 800*
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I use Ballistic AE which uses the JBM engine I believe and has Litz Curves for a number of popular match bullets.  It has always been dead on for me as long as I had good data.  Garbage in garbage out.

I just had a ballpark figure which for long range isn't great obviously.  Exactly velocity, optic height over bore, and elevation are some other factors that play into the exact number.

I've never messed with either the applied ballistics or vortex program, but given that Bryan Litz is behind applied ballistics I would trust it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Ballistic AE which uses the JBM engine I believe and has Litz Curves for a number of popular match bullets.  It has always been dead on for me as long as I had good data.  Garbage in garbage out.

I just had a ballpark figure which for long range isn't great obviously.  Exactly velocity, optic height over bore, and elevation are some other factors that play into the exact number.

I've never messed with either the applied ballistics or vortex program, but given that Bryan Litz is behind applied ballistics I would trust it.
View Quote

I ended up use applied ballistics and it held perfect elevations.  2.3mils @ 400. 4.6mils @ 600, 8mils@ 800, and 14.3 @ 1k. The Vortex LRBC program on their website is pretty cool in the fact you use google maps to show your exact shooting location for elevation and time/date for up to date weather.  It just seemed weird on the 2 totally different numbers I was getting back. It is shooting from a hilltown at a downward slope may have been the big variances " />
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 3:22:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Angle has a big impact on holds, but you would have to be shooting about 36 degrees down to be in the ballpark of the vortex numbers
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Assuming 308, under 2500 is really slow for a 168 class bullet. Combine that with the fact that they struggle at that distance makes shooting difficult.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#11]

I ended up use applied ballistics and it held perfect elevations.  2.3mils @ 400. 4.6mils @ 600, 8mils@ 800, and 14.3 @ 1k. The Vortex LRBC program on their website is pretty cool in the fact you use google maps to show your exact shooting location for elevation and time/date for up to date weather.  It just seemed weird on the 2 totally different numbers I was getting back. It is shooting from a hilltown at a downward slope may have been the big variances http://<a href=http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e218/hotrodjc/Chris%20Kyle%20Shooting%20Event-4_zpsgmtgol5s.jpg</a>" />
View All Quotes

I ended up use applied ballistics and it held perfect elevations.  2.3mils @ 400. 4.6mils @ 600, 8mils@ 800, and 14.3 @ 1k. The Vortex LRBC program on their website is pretty cool in the fact you use google maps to show your exact shooting location for elevation and time/date for up to date weather.  It just seemed weird on the 2 totally different numbers I was getting back. It is shooting from a hilltown at a downward slope may have been the big variances http://<a href=http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e218/hotrodjc/Chris%20Kyle%20Shooting%20Event-4_zpsgmtgol5s.jpg</a>" />

If you are shooting longer distances(say velocities below 2200fps or so) you have to use g7 BCs some calcs use G1 only G1 is velocity dependant. G7 BCs are good down to the speed of sound.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
Assuming 308, under 2500 is really slow for a 168 class bullet. Combine that with the fact that they struggle at that distance makes shooting difficult.
View Quote

Roger That...

BUTT!!! you get what you get in factory loaded ammo and FEDERAL leads the pack at being slow.

My gassers push those two bullets @ 2700fps MV without being loaded at Max.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DaveS:

Roger That...

BUTT!!! you get what you get in factory loaded ammo and FEDERAL leads the pack at being slow.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DaveS:
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:

Roger That...

This.  Not a gas gun but I get just under 2700 with 43.6gr of imr 4895 out of my 20" hog hunter. According to the jbm calc, even leaving the muzzle at like 2750 it's still not supersonic at 1000

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top