Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:28:40 AM EDT
[#3]
specwar brake works good for me
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a vortex FH on my 16'
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Witt machine clamp on if your barrel isn't threaded.
Bobo06
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]
and a vote distinctly against witt machine's metallic abortions. best value is a barret m468 brake, then open the outlet to .330".
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:17:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mort] [#7]
This guy has actually evaluated a bunch of the muzzle breaks on the market for you already.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/07/17/muzzle-brake-recoil-reduction/

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Number1gun:

Suppressor Best Brake there is
View Quote
I do not think suppressors actually reduce recoil as much as most brakes.  

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for Ross. He has done several of mine and several of my friends.  

Very fast turn around and very good work at a great price.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#10]
A muzzle brake on a .308  SPS? Really?

A 20" 700 SPS weighs 10 out of the box and will weigh closer to 12-13 pounds after most folks have them set up.  You just don't need a muzzle break on a recoil pad equipped 12 pound .308.

What a brake will do is increase the muzzle blast to the side and to the rear, making you a lot less popular on any shooting range through the additional noise, and it will create more noise for you as well.

Then there is the additional length and weight of the brake itself. not to mention the cost.  

In the end, it's a lot of downside for no useful benefit.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the Dead Air Sandman break for my 700 AAC-SD 16.5. I have been very pleased with it, and plan to get one of their suppressors down the road.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:54:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I like my SureFire SOCOM
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:38:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:

A 20" 700 SPS weighs 10 out of the box and will weigh closer to 12-13 pounds after most folks have them set up.  You just don't need a muzzle break on a recoil pad equipped 12 pound .308.

What a brake will do is increase the muzzle blast to the side and to the rear, making you a lot less popular on any shooting range through the additional noise, and it will create more noise for you as well.

Then there is the additional length and weight of the brake itself. not to mention the cost.  

View Quote

x2

What caliber / rifle weight would you recommend a muzzle brake on then?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:16:13 AM EDT
[#14]
PWS PRC, works great on my SPS and I have no reason to think anything else would be better.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Virginia_Shooter:
I use the Dead Air Sandman break for my 700 AAC-SD 16.5. I have been very pleased with it, and plan to get one of their suppressors down the road.
View Quote

I recently put one on my 700 LTR in preparation for my Sandman L. It reduced the recoil quite a bit, and I really don't notice any major concussion from it. Really a well designed brake.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#17]
While true they work, no one will desire to be next to you with those breaks.  Suppressors do indeed cut perceived recoil more than a break.  First your adding weight to the gun, so the more mass the better in terms of recoil.  Secondly the suppressor is channeling all that gas around inside the can, working like a long muzzle break.  

But back on topic, I like the Allen Engineering break as well, but it's not as cool as many of the other, newer styles.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 5:29:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By mort:
This guy has actually evaluated a bunch of the muzzle breaks on the market for you already.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/07/17/muzzle-brake-recoil-reduction/

View Quote

This is probably the best test I've ever seen regarding muzzle brakes and suppressors (for muzzle brake qualities).  He did a great job making a test anyone willing to put the time in could duplicate.  If you have a specific desire he measured enough other attributes to make evaluation very easy.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By phiberoptik:

x2

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

x2

My .308 weighs 17lbs, I fired 140 rounds with out the brake and my collar bone decided that the Little Bastard stays on for good. Not to mention the help it provides when kneeling or sitting or any position where you're not planted to the ground.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Precision Armament on my Savage FCP-SR and nothing on my Remington SPS and the Savage is a lot nicer to you! I would not have thought it would have made any difference until I set them side by side and shot them one after the other. Oh yea, a big difference! I don't have to worry about who's sitting next to me at the range because there is no one!! I have my own private range!!! Woohoo!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Precision Armament on my Savage FCP-SR and nothing on my Remington SPS and the Savage is a lot nicer to you! I would not have thought it would have made any difference until I set them side by side and shot them one after the other. Oh yea, a big difference! I don't have to worry about who's sitting next to me at the range because there is no one!! I have my own private range!!! Woohoo!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:19:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Anyone use the SCJ Titan .308?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:26:48 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

So....

Because the recoil isn't all that great to begin with there's no point reducing it further?

As far as popularity on the shooting range goes, that's pretty far down on my list of cares
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:03:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I fired 90- 230gr OTMs from my .308 and 60- 90gr smks from my AR over a couple hour period  a few weeks ago out to 1050yds. I was glad I had brakes on both because I had zero pain and I could spot my shots.

APA little bastard on the .308 and Miculek on the AR.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#25]

x2
View All Quotes

x2

Add me to this list.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:49:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#26]
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:

Add me to this list.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:

x2

Add me to this list.

Of course none of this makes sense really does it? Why does anybody use brakes on 6s and 6.5s, they have even less recoil than a .308.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#27]
The vortex FH really cuts down on the fireball my 16 tosses
L
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:16:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Unless it's a barrel-integrated brake I wouldn't recommend one.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:19:01 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

For recoil reduction, no you don't need a brake. However I assume he's asking about the R700 SPS AAC-SD. In that instance I can understand having a brake if only to protect the crown, as I do.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By tweeter:
Unless it's a barrel-integrated brake I wouldn't recommend one.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#31]
The APA Little Bastard is the way to go.  It will help you stay on target much easier for follow up shoots. This is coming from a guy who started off with a .308 Rem SPS Tac for competition.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By shotdown:
The APA Little Bastard is the way to go.  It will help you stay on target much easier for follow up shoots. This is coming from a guy who started off with a .308 Rem SPS Tac for competition.
View Quote

Makes my 230 load pleasant to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:33:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotdown] [#33]
I don't have a video shooting a .308 with a APA Little Bastard but I do have one with the 6.5 CM.

Video
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't have a video shooting a .308 with a APA Little Bastard but I do have one with the 6.5 CM.

Video
View Quote

Looks like fun, that's an awful nice truck to be shooting off .

So all these competitors are running brakes on their 6.5s and yet a .308 doesn't need one?

17lb rifle

140gr @ 2930fps = 6.11ftlb recoil
175gr @ 2650fps = 7.86 ftlb recoil
230gr @ 2425fps = 10.78ftlb recoil

So it looks like the whole  ".308 don't need a brake" is horseshit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Thats what I use on my 260 and 243.  They are more effective than running the can IMO.  It makes it very easy to spot my own shots.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#36]
The APA Little Bastard is the way to go.  . . . .
View Quote

^ This
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:46:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotdown] [#37]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:

So all these competitors are running brakes on their 6.5s and yet a .308 doesn't need one?

17lb rifle

View All Quotes

Video

17lb rifle

It was a $65K fully loaded truck that the dealer let us shoot out of. All 80 shooters couldn't believe it. It was a really nice truck.

I've seen people run the APA Fat Bastard on a 6mm rifle. I just picked up another Little Bastard for my 6XC. I will always run a brake if I can. Maybe one day pick up a suppressor for the bolt gun.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 12:30:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Strizzo] [#38]

View Quote

when you're shooting medium-long range, and want to see your hits, a brake helps a great deal.

edit:  i have the precision armament M11 severe duty brake on my 20" savage 308 Hog hunter.  I also have a cheapo amazon brake on my 6.8 that changed it from a gun that jumped off the bench to a .223 level of recoil.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:44:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DakotaFAL] [#39]

My .308 weighs 17lbs, I fired 140 rounds with out the brake and my collar bone decided that the Little Bastard stays on for good. Not to mention the help it provides when kneeling or sitting or any position where you're not planted to the ground.
View All Quotes

x2

There's nothing I can say here that would not sound unkind.

I noted the effects of shooting a service rifle course of fire (60 rounds) with an 8.5 pound 1903A1, and that includes 30 rounds or prone shooting where there's no "give" and your shoulder takes the brunt of the recoil.  To be fair I wasn't inclined to immediately shoot another 60 rounds, but it also wasn't something I regarded as a big deal or a painful experience.

I frequently shot two and three courses of fire in a session with a 10 pound M14 (where the slightly heavier weight and the gas system absorb recoil) and never had any complaints.  

I also frequently put well over 100 rounds down range in a session with my 12 pound Remington 700, and between the weight and the recoil pad it's a total non issue.  

Perhaps the expressed need for a muzzle break on a long range .308 is just another example of the wussification of America and the unintended consequences of the AR-15 producing almost no recoil.

With regard to position shooting, if you build the position correctly, coming back under recoil is very consistent, regardless of the recoil involved.   It's how we used to get sold score in the rapid fire kneeling stage.  I'd much rather improve the position that to use an equipment solution for a skills deficiency.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#40]

17lb rifle

View All Quotes

Video

17lb rifle

It's an authoritarian argument.  You have to ask yourself whether your needs are consistent with the needs of those competitors.

If you're planning on using your .308 in the field, as opposed to on a target range, there are some sharp downsides, and even on the target range the costs versus the benefits for you might be different than they are for the competitors you are comparing yourself to.

Try being objective and thinking critically about the issue instead, instead of making decisions based on an authoritarian argument, particularly when the boundary conditions are different.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:55:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DakotaFAL] [#41]
Originally Posted By Strizzo:

when you're shooting medium-long range, and want to see your hits, a brake helps a great deal.

edit:  i have the precision armament M11 severe duty brake on my 20" savage 308 Hog hunter.  I also have a cheapo amazon brake on my 6.8 that changed it from a gun that jumped off the bench to a .223 level of recoil.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Strizzo:

See - this guy has an intelligent response.

He's identified a condition where a muzzle brake may actually add a useful function for his particular shooting needs.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:51:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotdown] [#42]
Your responses above don't make sense.  You're saying that Strizzo provided an intelligent response for identifying a condition where a muzzle brake may add a useful function.  But yet you're comparing the use of a brake to the Wussification of America? Really? I think some of the responses are very useful and help answer the Ops question on recommending a brake.

I use a brake to help me get on target faster and the recoil reduction is definitely a plus. I can also transition and engage targets much faster than I could without a brake.  It also helps stay on target when you have to shoot standing, kneeling and sitting.

Yes you can practice on building a solid position but it will depend on what the Op is using it for. If in competition while on the clock with short part time and movement, trying to build a solid position will cost you points and time.  I'm confident in my equipment and skills to take quick and accurate shots.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#43]

It's an authoritarian argument.  You have to ask yourself whether your needs are consistent with the needs of those competitors.

If you're planning on using your .308 in the field, as opposed to on a target range, there are some sharp downsides, and even on the target range the costs versus the benefits for you might be different than they are for the competitors you are comparing yourself to.

Try being objective and thinking critically about the issue instead, instead of making decisions based on an authoritarian argument, particularly when the boundary conditions are different.
View All Quotes

Video

17lb rifle

The math doesn't fit your statement, so now we must look into ones needs and uses. All the OP said is he had a .308 and you said a .308 don't need one. I would say your objective thinking is lacking. You made the blanket statement not me.

Why does one have to be a competitor to benefit from reduced recoil?
Nobody questions someone asking about a brake for a 6.5cm, it makes no sense.

You will find posts of mine stating I(I, not everyone) don't need a brake for my .308, but now I am shooting very heavy bullets longer ranges and many at a time. I now choose to shoot with a brake, the one time cost and 1" it adds to the barrel is insignificant.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

I have some 208 amax loads that might change your mind...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top