Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2013 2:20:03 AM EDT
Hi guys. I am actually brand new to deer hunting period but I think I have the gist of gun hunting down. I will be using a Wicked Ridge Invader HP Crossbow. The club I am a member of has green fields (with shooting houses) as well as plenty of timber. I don't have a tree stand but could borrow my cousins if I really wanted to. I understand the relatively short range of a bow/xb compared to a gun, but what places are best to set up at to have the deer come so close to you? Load me up on any tips you have
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Early season, I'd be checking for mast production in the oak bottoms. When the acorns fall, the deer will shift off of food plots until what's on the ground sours. Look for trails between bedding areas and the oak bottom with acorns. Natural funnels or creek crossings that have visible use. Set your stand up 20-30 yards from the trail downwind from the trail that also allows you access from downwind as well. Pre-rut/rut, I'd locate on the edge of the green fields downwind of where you observe deer entering the field or in a funnel leading to the field. Bucks love to cruise the timber just off of the fields checking does. Late season, I would setup on the green fields. Archery hunting means studying and understanding deer movement and getting as close to observed deer movement routes without crossing where they will be moving. You have decide to make hunting more difficult for yourself. Don't get discouraged. Don't give up. Learn something every time you go in the woods. It is worth it. No other feeling in hunting in my opinion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top