Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2015 1:14:36 PM EDT
I'm interested in getting into target shooting and eventually hunting and looking for recommendations, I see the bear archery attitude has great reviews and can accommodate up to a 32" draw length, would it be a good start for a 6'5" male with long arms? Also wondering what kind of arrows/accessories would I need to get started off right, thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I recommend going to a local Pro Shop (not a big box store) and getting your draw length measured. Next shoot as many different bows as you can set up for your draw length and see what you like. Quite a bit of it is personal preference. I have no problem with any of the major manufacturer's. Any particular model recommended here or anywhere else is just our own personal preference and is pretty well worthless info to you.

As for arrows most compound shooters run carbons - again any major manufacturer would be fine. Target shooters tend to like lighter arrows for flatter trajectories and get right around 5gr per pound of draw weight - and I have no issues with that as long as one is shooting paper or foam. Some hunters use these 5gpp arrows too but in reality they would be better off going with something more like 6-7gr/lb for penetration reasons. Blazing speed is the big marketing tool right now though; really annoys me to see these hunting shows with these lighting speed arrows and the marginal penetration, all the while they are jumping around like idiots.

You will need a rest; I liked the fall away's, nothing wrong with the whisker biscuit rest's either but if you are going to target shoot you'd be better off with a fall away. Sight's are pretty well a personal preference item. To start out a strap release is fine. I ended up using a back tension release even hunting before I hung up the compound and I found it really helped my shooting - not sure it's a great choice starting out though.  Again these items are mostly personal preference. I like using a wrist strap and even when I changed over to traditional I still use one. You will want a stabilizer as well; hunting and target shooting use different ones and you may eventually want more than one and switch depending on what you are doing. Some guy's like them shorter on a hunting rig but mine was 11.5" and never felt it was a problem in the woods.

Hopefully this will get you started. Ultimately the guys that get serious about target archery get dedicated bows for hunting and target shooting.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top