Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2015 4:41:21 PM EDT
I'm about to buy my first bow. I'm looking at the Hoyt Charger and the Bowtech Carbon Icon. As the title asks, is fitting and tuning included at most shops or should I expect to pay extra for those services?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends entirely on where you purchase the bow.  Some box stores will simply measure your arm length, look at a chart and then give you a bow with the proper draw, fit a peep and send you on your way.

Other stores will go the extra step, tune, fit a bow to you, then give you an hour of training on an indoor target. North 40, in Idaho and Montana do it that way.

If you're don't mind spending a little more, buy the bow from a dedicated archery shop, stores where archery is the mains sales item will spend the time fitting, explaining and making sure you leave with everything as it should be.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll be buying from a bow/gun shop not a box store. Also, I never heard of paper tuning before but did some reading and it's pretty easy to understand. But is tuning the bow just basically sighting it in or is there more to it than that?

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quite a bit to tuning a bow.  Nothing that can't be self taught.  Check out ArcheryTalk forum, as well.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#4]
when my buddy had his shop he didn't let a customer leave with a bow that wasn't set up properly and if the shooter was new he would give them some instruction to get them started, all of this was part of the sale.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:21:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
when my buddy had his shop he didn't let a customer leave with a bow that wasn't set up properly and if the shooter was new he would give them some instruction to get them started, all of this was part of the sale.
View Quote

Exactly,  buying a bow shop from bow shop tech guys/experts will get you much farther ahead as a newb or even just help you work into the setup of your new bow.   If you pay 10% more for buying the same bow at a bow shop and get sound knowledgeable advice and a bow that's right for you as well as good accessories that do what you wanted even if you didn't know why, that's why you go there.

ETA- I have never been charged for those services.  You may pay a touch more like I said above in the price of the bow at an archery specialty shop versus going and buying a bow at Dicks.  They guy on your bow at Dicks may be their bicycle assembler.  (I'm not F'n joking there either)
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are buying a bow, rest, sight, etc... from a shop they should be tuning your gear.  You pay more at those shops because of the service.  The shop I recently bought my Matthews from did a 200 arrow retune free of charge as well.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top