Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2015 7:19:31 PM EDT
So my wife has shown interest in archery and I'm looking to explore this. I'm going to set up some targets in the yard but I'm looking for some feedback on a decent bow for that purpose.

What little I know about archery is from back when I was a kid running around barefoot with a wooden recurve bow. So I have no idea about current products.

All the stuff at Academy is either little kiddie bows or expensive compound bows. Price range for just a bow is loosely $100. I want something of decent quality. Pull weight is open for suggestions too. I'm thinking some type of recurve.

My wife is in pretty good shape and could probably handle a moderate pull weight easily.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Samick Sage that I shoot in my yard. You can buy limbs on amazon, I have 25# and 45# limbs. My wife loves it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Same the sage is a great first bow . It is my first and only at this time love the thing.i use 45 limbs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
This would allow you both to use the same bow if you don't have gorilla long arms

http://www.basspro.com/Original-Genesis-Compound-Bow-Kits/product/10206577/
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Good to know. I was actually looking at the Sages on Ebay.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 6:54:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Hard to argue with the Sage, easy to change draw weight as she gets used to it - Grizzly's are nice as well, I've picked up a couple used for $135ish. Draw weight is kind of dependent on her; 30-35# perhaps.

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 7:03:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Be careful shooting bows in the back yard if you live inside the city limits. Some places prohibit it. Also wouldnt want to release an arrow early and hit a neighbors house.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Duly noted. Not an issue where I live.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Same the sage is a great first bow . It is my first and only at this time love the thing.i use 45 limbs.
View Quote

I picked one up last Wed.
Well pleased with how it shoots too.
First bow since i was a kid in the 60's.
I am 65 now,been a little over 50 yrs. since i shot a bow.
Like falling off a bicycle..........came right back to me.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top