Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2014 5:13:29 PM EDT
I haven't big game hunted (guns or bows) in years but I'm looking at getting back into it. We have a family friend who's had an archery shop for decades but is only there part time right now and his son runs it. I don't particularly like dealing with him but I can still look.

ANNNNNNNYWAY, I had a PSE for years, got a matthews and I've liked them both. I went in today and he tried talking me into a crossbow but to me that seems like it would take all the fun out of it. While I was there i happened to see something interesting it was a bow called an oneida and I'd never seen anything like it. Guy shooting it said it's the smoothest thing he's ever shot but it was interesting looking to say the least.

I can find a few youtube videos on these things but not a lot of info. The website isn't very helpful either, any input or should I stick to the stuff I already know? Guy even offered to let me try it but I'm still recovering from a shoulder surgery and don't trust my body at the moment.

Nothing at all came up on the search here, I don't know if  I just didn't go back far enough or what but they don't seem like a new company....

fan of smooth draws and flat flying arrows.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Never shot one, but heard good things about them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#2]
damn was hoping for info...

okay plan B, what's the archery version of arfcom?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The older ones had some issues with keeping and adjusting the timing if my memory serves correctly. I've seen a couple that came apart, unplanned. They may have fixed the issues or changed the design though. I did know a few guys who loved them but they also were techs who knew how to work on them. The best I've used is the Mathews but it's been a few years since I was "in the game" (my bow is a 7-8 year old Switchback XT).
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The older ones had some issues with keeping and adjusting the timing if my memory serves correctly. I've seen a couple that came apart, unplanned. They may have fixed the issues or changed the design though. I did know a few guys who loved them but they also were techs who knew how to work on them. The best I've used is the Mathews but it's been a few years since I was "in the game" (my bow is a 7-8 year old Switchback XT).
View Quote

Hmm, well the cool factor is only worth so much if they require constant work. I've heard good things about bowtech, I stopped by my dads house and found my Martin Jaquar, my Proline and my Matthews today. He's actually still using my matthews so cool that's a hell of a lifespan.

The idea of these hybrid I guess they call them bows seems great. I'm just not sure they'll live up to what I'm hoping for with the new tech. I'm a big fan of compact and light
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Run far away from the Oneida bows.....

Hoyt, PSE, Bowtech, Mathews, Obsession, and a lot of others have short, light, and fast bows out now. Shoot a bunch and see which ones fit you the best.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#7]
hmm,

I'm not as concerned about overall length as I am about just the draw. i'm doing my best to recover from a shoulder surgery and I want something easy to adjust.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
hmm,

I'm not as concerned about overall length as I am about just the draw. i'm doing my best to recover from a shoulder surgery and I want something easy to adjust.
View Quote

If easy to draw, and easy on the shoulder is your main concern, try out an Obsession Pheonix bow. Super smooth, with a huge valley that will never try to take off on you. Also, Elite makes some very smooth, easy shooting bows. I just personally don't like their grip, but they are nice bows nonetheless.

Of all the bows out, those are the ones that felt easiest on the shoulder.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#9]
cool thanks much for the input. I'll see if I can find one of those.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd stick with more traditional bows: any archery shop will have a bow press that will work with one. All the accessories will work with them. Tuning them is a well known process.

The Matthews Chill R is a very smooth bow.

I shoot a bear motive 6 and it is a keeper. Fast and easy to shoot.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top