Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Archery » Bows
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2014 3:12:06 PM EDT
So recently, I've lost all vision in my right eye due bad luck in the genetic lottery and was interested in getting my first compound bow.  With my handguns, I've been able to stick to my natural RH dominance with some minor adjustments to my stance, but with my long rifles, I've had to switch over to shooting with my "weak hand" and relearning how to sight and shoot with ease and comfort. That being said, do I need to look at using a left handed bow? Or can I use a right handed bow and alter my stance/grip/sight to use properly?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#1]
With a compound with sight, I'd go with a left handed bow.  Your head position, anchor point with a right would be very inconsistent.  Might consider a longbow, or recurve, and shoot without sights.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go with a left hand bow if you plan on using sights with pins.   They do make laser sights for bows, and red dot sights.   If you could use those with your left eye, you could shoot a right handed bow, but it may be better to relearn with a left handed bow for greater accuracy so you can use a peep sight on the string.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Go with a left handed bow! My wife does not have vision lost, but she is right handed with left eye dominate. When shopping for a bow all the pro-shops suggested going with a left-handed bow for her.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
If this is indeed your first bow and you're not really used to shooting one way or the other, I'd go with a lefty.  Moving your head around in order to shoot right handed would probably make it a little harder to acquire solid and repeatable anchor points anyways.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Well if you have lost sight in your right eye I would recommend using a left handed bow. My question is how accurate you will be without the depth perception of both eyes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If this is indeed your first bow and you're not really used to shooting one way or the other, I'd go with a lefty.  Moving your head around in order to shoot right handed would probably make it a little harder to acquire solid and repeatable anchor points anyways.
View Quote

Spot on in above post. If your not dead set on a vertical bow, go with a crossbow.
Page Archery » Bows
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top