Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2014 2:23:54 PM EDT
We are buying a new home that has a nice size basement that I would like to make into an Archery Range (15-20 yds)

Ideas on what targets are or back stops to use?
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics when you get it up!

Lots of materials you can use.  My local club uses layers of trampoline material in a wooden frame.  These layers are one face behind another.

Other materials you can use are cardboard stacked in horizontal layers and tied together.  This will provide a much longer use than if you used a face.  You can reinforce it with old carpet, too.  

For a backstop you can use a big rubber mat like you see from Office Depot and hang it from the ceiling a few inches from the wall. Not much will get through it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I realize how old this thread is but I'm wanting to do the exact same thing, anybody else come up with anything good? I can easily shoot 25 yards in my basement. Open the French doors make 30 easy but I don't want to destroy the house.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#3]
You have 90 feet straight line of sight in your basement?
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bfmcleaky:
View Quote

You don't NEED that much room homie.

That's what outside is for. Sounds like OP just wants something to screw around with.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I open 2 doors in my basement and give myself a 10 yard shot  - all winter long.  Mounted hooks to a stud in the ceiling, bought a couple carabiners and ran them through the grommets on a big bag target.  Hang it from the hooks with some junk chain I had laying around.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bfmcleaky:
View Quote

I have 26yards of straight line in mine. I open the french doors and before i get to my slope it's a tad over 30.

Got the sketches for my target design that should protect everything. Just gotta see what lumber i have laying around and go from there.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:29:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 20 yds in my shop and I use 1" thick horse mat screwed around the edges with steel roofing screws to a piece of 3/4" plywood. 2 Blade broad heads with go into the plywood but not thru it. Field points just bounce off the rubber mat. I have broken several carbon arrows shooting blunts but they are not in good shape anyway by the time I use them for stump shooting.

Just for the record I don't miss the actual target very often. I'm shooting recurve and compound to 65 lbs.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I had 15 or 16 yards of straight line site in my old basement. Shot in there all the time and loved it. I just adjusted my sight for a 16 yard zero.  Shot some really tight groups and even robin-hooded an arrow (granted it was only 16 yards).  Was good practice and I really enjoyed it.

No backstop really-just some old, flat, cardboard boxes behind my block target that sat atop a box itself.  I just didn't miss the target
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top