Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2012 12:47:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR]

Effective? Talking about a still hog, feeding etc. Maybe 20 feet.

Would a bolt to the brainpan be effective in bringing a  down  a boar quicky? I use an Aimpoint ML2 on my Barnett and have been able to achieve great accuracy under 25-30 yards.

And if this method was to be used, what would be the best tip. Cutting broadhead for most vascular damage or solid steel target tip for certain penetration?

Opinions please.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard to say if you will get adequate penetration the skull is a curved surface and you may get a glancing blow rather than penetration. It would be a more likely kill to shoot through the throat with a broadhead or try for a heart or lung shot. Remember these things if wounded will attack you so you may want to carry a firearm when tracking it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 2:25:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Him] [#2]
If you are absolutely sure that you can hit the brain, yes.

If not, I wouldn't want to be down on the ground with the hog; from a tree, yes, from flat on my two hind feet, NO!

I'd be tempted to try it out on a couple of dead ones first to make sure you get enough penetration through the skull, and to make sure you know where the brain is.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:26:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#3]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
Hard to say if you will get adequate penetration the skull is a curved surface and you may get a glancing blow rather than penetration. It would be a more likely kill to shoot through the throat with a broadhead or try for a heart or lung shot. Remember these things if wounded will attack you so you may want to carry a firearm when tracking it.

Can't use a firearm capable of killing a hog, or Carry one. Hunting on Corps of Engineer land here allows only archery or birdshot unfortunately. Will likely be in a tree stand though, so attack  probably a small liklihood.
Upside is the permit is free.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:27:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Him:

I'd be tempted to try it out on a couple of dead ones first to make sure you get enough penetration through the skull, and to make sure you know where the brain is.

That's a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:29:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not just heart/lung it?
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

Don't theose big boars have a girdle of gristle that can mitigate a shot that is not perfectly placed? Seems like although the heat is a much smaller target, it may rsult in an instantly lethal shot when hit.

In anycase it's a theory I'd like to try.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Not my picture, just something I found.
I know what I'd rather shoot at.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:40:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Him] [#8]

No stopping power.

The boar could make you dead before he was. IF YOU WERE ON THE GROUND! Added for the next poster.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Him:

No stopping power.

The boar could make you dead before he was.

They can climb trees now?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top