Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2014 8:24:37 PM EDT
I am going to buy my daughter a Genesis bow for her birthday, but I am torn which hand to get. She is very left eye dominate, but right handed. I have been teaching her to shoot left handed.

Is eye dominance more important than strength dominance?

Which hand should I buy?
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#1]
my 12-year old was in the same way - I got him left handed Bear Aprentice 2 - his grouping 2" at 10 yards after 4 times in the range
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with the left handed bow.  Eye dominance is very hard to change, you can increase draw strength easier.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I had her shoot her sister's nerf bow and she chose to shoot it left handed.

I also see a left handed AR in her future.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Eye dominance
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#5]
my eye dominance got worse over the years, my left eye staying strong, my right getting weaker,

I switched to left hand bows 2 years ago, wish I had done it 2 decades ago
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Have her shoot a right-handed AR first.  I'm left handed (and left eye dominant) and actually prefer "regular" ARs.  Just add an ambi charging handle (Raptor is NICE!) and a lefty safety selector ($15 from Stag Arms).
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Have her shoot a right-handed AR first.  I'm left handed (and left eye dominant) and actually prefer "regular" ARs.  Just add an ambi charging handle (Raptor is NICE!) and a lefty safety selector ($15 from Stag Arms).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

She loves to shoot my M&P 15/22.  She shoots it left handed with no problem.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#8]
My 6-year old has the same issue. Makes teaching him to shoot challenging.

He wore a pirate patch deer hunting (which actually worked)...
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My 6-year old has the same issue. Makes teaching him to shoot challenging.

He wore a pirate patch deer hunting (which actually worked)...
View Quote

Is he missing his left arm? My wife and 6 year old are both right hand/left eye and they shoot rifles lefty much better than trying to force dominance.
He is young and does not have all the years of muscle memory built in so let him try it out now.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am going to buy my daughter a Genesis bow for her birthday, but I am torn which hand to get. She is very left eye dominate, but right handed. I have been teaching her to shoot left handed.

Is eye dominance more important than strength dominance?

Which hand should I buy?
View Quote

While trying to learn how to shoot my boyfriend's AR15 we discovered that I am left eye dominate but right handed also. It makes it very tough. Good to know I'm not the only one lol
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#11]
It's much easier to learn to shoot a bow with your non-dominant hand than it is a rifle or shotgun. Go with your dominant eye.  I shot bows for years left handed and right eye dominant, but switched to have access to more bows in the shop. The hardest thing was picking up the bow with my left hand. I always reached out with my right hand. The shooting part was easy to master.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a curse for sure.

I do the following left handed (left eye dominate):

Shoot pool

Archery

Rifle/shotgun

guitar

fish bait caster (cast with left, don't switch hands and reel with my right)

I do the following right handed:

write

pitch/bat (baseball)

golf

handgun (this one is cool because I can totally rock a pistol and rifle in my left hand like movies... )

All of my rifles/shotguns are right handed and (all fell out of the boat...strange) I deal with all the benefit of closing my eyes when I shoot.  Best part is at the indoor range and hot brass goes down my shirt.  I can place the safety on, pull the charging handle back, lock the bolt and drop the mag, and lay her down in about 1.8 seconds on the bench when it happens...
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies.

I did buy her the left handed bow and she loved it.  When I get access to it, I'll post a picture.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Good looking girl and bow!
She might do better by turning her feet away from the target a bit more.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good looking girl and bow!
She might do better by turning her feet away from the target a bit more.
View Quote

I didn't want to over coach her, but I did have her position her feet better.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:35:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm lefty and right eye dominant.  My bow is right handed.

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 5:27:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
my 12-year old was in the same way - I got him left handed Bear Aprentice 2 - his grouping 2" at 10 yards after 4 times in the range
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top