Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2016 6:41:23 PM EDT
After extensive searching on a number of sites I'm no closer to deciding what length barrel I want. I've seen lots of threads that say X is better or they like Y but they're all pretty old. Like any sport 3 gun evolves and I'm curious what people like now and the type of stages they shoot regularly. Help me buy a new shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Most I see run a 24" barrel. That seems to be the sweet spot for most guns.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, they all work.

I have a 24"...I have seen a lot of 26" as well.  I do not think much shorter give you any advantage because you still have the extended magazine tube to deal with.

There are even times a 28" would have been fine, just makes it harder to move around corners.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KeenansGarage:
Honestly, they all work.

I have a 24"...I have seen a lot of 26" as well.  I do not think much shorter give you any advantage because you still have the extended magazine tube to deal with.

There are even times a 28" would have been fine, just makes it harder to move around corners.
View Quote

I don't want anything to do with a 28". I shot an SLP competition at a match a few weeks ago and didn't care for how long it was. I'm leaning towards a 24" right now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#4]
5+ years ago when the rules limited you to an 8 round shotgun tube a 21" inch barrel was the correct answer as it was the same length as the extension.  Now that most people are running 10-12 round tubes barrel length doesn't really matter as the tube will be sticking past the barrel anyway.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Not really any practical difference between 12"& 24" , shot pattern and slugs will be basically the same with any barrel length between those.
So what it really comes down to is weight and target transition times.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:33:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input guys. I decided to go with a 24" Benelli M2 with a full race package from Mike at AI. I was lucky enough to skip a long wait because Alpine Range in Ft. Worth, TX stocks them with his package already on the gun. I would highly recommend them if you're in the market and don't want to wait.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Heelsfan78:
Thanks for the input guys. I decided to go with a 24" Benelli M2 with a full race package from Mike at AI. I was lucky enough to skip a long wait because Alpine Range in Ft. Worth, TX stocks them with his package already on the gun. I would highly recommend them if you're in the market and don't want to wait.
View Quote

Good choice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I run a 24" and it allows a +6 tube that extends just a few inches past the barrel.  This set up gets me 10+1 which I prefer over 9+1.  This is because starting a stage with 9 in the tube, then after you chamber one there is 8 in the tube and I can perform a load two if I want to top it off before the first shot.

Anything longer than that is not necessary for all of the stages at matches that I attend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top