Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2016 12:21:45 PM EDT
i have poor man trigger job, bobbed hammer and jp spring set, polish....... 4 ish pounds.     i hold my own with others with $200 plus triggers.
yes they are crisp and nice.  

but i feel like a well trained shooter/trigger finger,  behind a poor man trigger job  is as good as if not better than the average mortal with a $200 trigger.    

i feel like a lot of the trigger skills in handgun transfer to rifle.

ive never run a $$$$ trigger for any length of time. a few test shots and trials in shop

while i do train regularly, i do not not compete (yet)

Can you be competitive with with cheap trigger job?

Are $$ triggers reliable,  as mils spec,  SHTF situation or in test/lab situation?

Any of you competitive  guys/gals  run  a cheap trigger job?   i'd like to see test where high end competitive shooter shoots similar or same rifle with different triggers and compare results

friend has POF trigger for sale... how so they rate?

TY in advance

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you be competitive with a cheap trigger job?  Depends on who you are competing against. Gear is important, but it's not as important as skill. So if you're competing against club level shooters, you might do well. But why worry about it......just go compete. I tell new to the sport shooters that 3gun is intensely fun and will make you a better shooter in the end if you do it regularly.  Will you be as good eventually as the top 10 3gunners, probably not, but who knows. I'm 62, with a tweaked right knee and I do ok, there are always 10-12 guys that beat me, always. So what......I really like shooting in matches.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a few friends that are newer shooters, and they can't see much difference with a cheap trigger job, and a highly tuned competition trigger. You need more time behind the gun to be able to feel the difference and for it to make a difference for you. The difference is going to be in take up, and reset. My competition trigger pulls at around 1 3/4 lbs. I would not have a newer shooter use it. You have to have really good trigger discipline. I will let people dry fire my gun before letting them shoot it. They just about always dry fire it before they realize it happened. Let's them know it's really light with little to no take up.

Start with the trigger you have. It'll serve you well while you learn. As you get better, then you can get a higher end trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top