Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2014 3:55:22 PM EDT
Hello All,

I am just getting into 3 Gun and have a few questions that I know would help me and fellow newbies.  The information might be available in the existing posts but I haven't seen it in one place.  Thought it might be good to start a topic that would narrow it down in one clear, concise post.  I know that some of it is going to be personal preference and might require some testing based on each person's individual equipment choices but I was hoping that I could get a good idea of a starting point and also what is required/restricted in 3 Gun matches.

What I'm really interested in is the topic of Ammo.  The do's and don'ts. What has worked best for you and what you definitely want to avoid either because of quality or simply the fact that is isn't allowed in competition.

Here is my personal choices for equipment:

Pistol: Smith and Wesson M&P Pro CORE 9mm 5" (Trijicon RMR...not going to use it immediately to shoot in production but wanted to have it if I decided to change classes)

Rifle: Stag Arms 3GN Competition AR-15 .556/.223 18" Stainless Fluted Barrel

Shotgun: Beretta 1301 Competition 12 gauge Shotgun

*****If you happen to have one or more of the above and have had good luck with something in particular I'd appreciate your input.*****

I, like most people, are also concerned about cost (mostly for practice rounds) so let's keep that in mind too.  What might you shoot to practice and then what might you bring when you attend a competition.

Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S.  I'm mostly talking off the shelf ammo that can be bought at your average big box or local gun store.  Not talking about loading your own rounds.  I'm not ready for that yet. :)

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Best training for a person is number of rounds down range. Until you have a few thousand rounds down range and in the area of the targets do not agonize over details.

That said - anything that fits correctly in the chamber, is cheap, goes bang (most of the time)  and available is great ammo.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Deleted - had a double tap.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
For hooser rifle, 55gr PMC Bronze
For longer shots over 200 yards, Black Hills 77gr Reman

Shotty Slugs, Fiocchi Low Recoil
Bird Shot Rio 7.5's 1 1/8 oz going 1200 fps

pistol, whatever is cheap
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I would spend a little time at the range and shoot some groups with all 3 guns.  My M&P 9mm shot horrible groups with cheap Fed 115gr but 2.5-3" at 25yds with my reloads.  Also you'll want to know where your slugs are printing at 50yds.  

For my 3gun needs I like:

Rifle:  my 55g reloads or any quality brass case factory

Pistol: reloads again, for you, something fairly accurate.

Shotgun: Wolf slugs (made in Germany) 1380 fps, accurate in my Benelli and easy on the shoulder.

Win AA 1 1/8 oz load 1300 fps (18 in barrel) I like the extra velocity because of my barrel limitations.

I've also seen guys not be able to knock steel over with light loads even with longer barrels.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
For long-range factory rifle rounds at a reasonable price, take a look at the PRVI 69gr.  Groups and hits well out of a 18" LW 1x8 twist.

Freedom Munitions for 9mm and 55gr.  Wolf Gold 55gr for hosing/practice.  Aguila 9mm used to be priced really well and ran great, haven't looked in a while.

Fiocchi slugs are great.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I could be offbase here but I wouldn't get too hung up on your ammunition choices. Quality manufactured ammo should be fine. I typically just use factory 55gr Federal, Remington, PMC, etc for my AR. I buy similar factory ammunition for my pistol and shotgun.

I just dont see any point with getting fancy with ammo when my skill and performance have not surpassed the ammunitions capability.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:47:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could be offbase here but I wouldn't get too hung up on your ammunition choices. Quality manufactured ammo should be fine. I typically just use factory 55gr Federal, Remington, PMC, etc for my AR. I buy similar factory ammunition for my pistol and shotgun.

I just dont see any point with getting fancy with ammo when my skill and performance have not surpassed the ammunitions capability.
View Quote

I agree, as long as your ammo is reasonably accurate it won't be the limiting factor for a LONG time.  A more accurate gun/ammo combination will allow you to go faster, but only if you have the skill to take advantage of it.  I'm not that good - my cheap bulk pack 55gr reloads run about 1.5 - 2 MOA and that's plenty good enough for me.  Knowing your holdovers for longer range and extremely close shots is more important.

I'd worry about getting more trigger time (and dry firing!) than anything else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top