Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2017 8:20:16 PM EDT
Started the night with a coyote shot from about 100 yds. Spun around for a few seconds and fell over. Bullet entered behind shoulder and exited front of shoulder. That video didn't record (forgot to enable video mode on the Reap-ir) but it did remind me to enable video on the scope which allowed me to get the next 14 confirmed hog kills from this sounder on video.
Couple hours later driving/scanning I spotted "a couple" hogs.....
equipment used: 12.5" ARP upper in 6.8 SPCII from Eric at Blackstone Arms. Reap-IR thermal scope from Cliff at Third Coast Thermal. Sig Sauer 762 titanium QD suppressor from Silencer Shop. Helmet mounted PVS-14.

I can't get the video to embed!!!! Lol just click the link :/
https://youtu.be/nVhzk5Kj-s0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVhzk5Kj-s0

14 down
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I grew up in Groves, still have family in the area. I have a PVS14 and a MUM14 (and properly sighted in IR lasers). I want to party with you!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Photobucket.com
Then get links for that image under settings once its uploaded.
Choose img code copy it then paste in here.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#3]
That is outstanding work!!! Thanks for sharing.

For everyone else, here is the video linked up...
Thermal Hog Eradication 14 Hogs down at XL Ranch
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#4]
@lilmac25
Nice! Do u have access to any land that has hogs/coyotes that need to be "removed"
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@lilmac25
Nice! Do u have access to any land that has hogs/coyotes that need to be "removed"
View Quote
Unfortunately, no. I'm getting on a lease in Splendora that does have hogs. I'll find out what the rules are for visitors and give you an IM.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:18:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds good!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Good work! Are you also using a LAM mounted on that rifle? Can't quite make it out in the pic.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good work! Are you also using a LAM mounted on that rifle? Can't quite make it out in the pic.
View Quote
Thanks, it's the Steiner CQBL-1. (Red visible/IR laser)
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:00:03 PM EDT
[#9]
That bunch was fat, full or stupid, a glorious thing. I remember those days when I first started hunting my area with no and suppressors. Not skilled and coordinated enough to take advantage of it.

Now they haul ass at the first shot.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:22:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That bunch was fat, full or stupid, a glorious thing. I remember those days when I first started hunting my area with no and suppressors. Not skilled and coordinated enough to take advantage of it.

Now they haul ass at the first shot.
View Quote
That's so true!

OP good job I hope you kill a whole lot more this year. Hogs gotta die!
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, what round are you running out of the 12.5" ARP 68?  I am surprised that they weren't falling down more quickly.  I love my 12.5" ARP 6.8.  It is as close to perfect as I've found for a night time pig machine, especially with a TBAC Ultra 7.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OP, what round are you running out of the 12.5" ARP 68?  I am surprised that they weren't falling down more quickly.  I love my 12.5" ARP 6.8.  It is as close to perfect as I've found for a night time pig machine, especially with a TBAC Ultra 7.
View Quote
Factory 120 Hornady SST. After the first few shots I was thinking something was wrong, then a few started going down.  I didn't realize The shooting had gone on so long until I watched it again afterward and was kinda disappointed thinking I only took out 5 or 6. Then I just kept finding them lol.  A few of them took multiple hits. I only had to finish off one of them. The only thing I can think that miiiight have come into play is that a few years ago I might have mixed up a box of Hornady 110 Vmax with the SSTs and somehow those rounds got loaded into the magazine that night. But I thought that I had separated the questionable boxes of ammo and not used them. I did get low on ammo a couple months ago though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 8:51:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Factory 120 Hornady SST. After the first few shots I was thinking something was wrong, then a few started going down.  I didn't realize The shooting had gone on so long until I watched it again afterward and was kinda disappointed thinking I only took out 5 or 6. Then I just kept finding them lol.  A few of them took multiple hits. I only had to finish off one of them. The only thing I can think that miiiight have come into play is that a few years ago I might have mixed up a box of Hornady 115 Vmax with the SSTs and somehow those rounds got loaded into the magazine that night. But I thought that I had separated the questionable boxes of ammo and not used them. I did get low on ammo a couple months ago though.
View Quote
My daughter has killed a ton of hog's with the 110gr Vmax.  And they do have a tendency to run a little ways before the flop. Unless you disconnect the SNS. I hated the 100 gr speer load from SSA. Or the 90 gr HP from SSA. It was a great coyote round but seriously lacked  penetration. The 90gr Barnes from SSA was a deadly hog load.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My daughter has killed a ton of hog's with the 110gr Vmax.  And they do have a tendency to run a little ways before the flop. Unless you disconnect the SNS. I hated the 100 gr speer load from SSA. Or the 90 gr HP from SSA. It was a great coyote round but seriously lacked  penetration. The 90gr Barnes from SSA was a deadly hog load.
View Quote
Cool thanks for sharing the info.. I would worry the Vmax might have trouble reaching the vitals on larger hogs hit right in the shoulder. It's my understanding that round breaks up pretty quickly on impact and doesn't exit. Might not penetrate through the thick skin gristle and shoulder bone of the good sized hogs. I bet it would do pretty well on neck, and behind the shoulder shots, though I have heard others say it works well also
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cool thanks for sharing the info.. I would worry the Vmax might have trouble reaching the vitals on larger hogs hit right in the shoulder. It's my understanding that round breaks up pretty quickly on impact and doesn't exit. Might not penetrate through the thick skin gristle and shoulder bone of the good sized hogs. I bet it would do pretty well on neck, and behind the shoulder shots, though I have heard others say it works well also
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got to remember that the 110gr Vmax is designed to fragment at. 270 velocity so it will penetrate further than you think.  I still prefer the 120 gr SST though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You got to remember that the 110gr Vmax is designed to fragment at. 270 velocity so it will penetrate further than you think.  I still prefer the 120 gr SST though.
View Quote
Ahhhh good point
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top