Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2017 7:03:14 PM EDT
What are you guys using for hearing protection on your hunts?  I'm going out on my first hunt in April and wanted to know what is generally recommended.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
honestly a lot of guys these days are using barrel-mounted earpro. That's what I've gone to. It really bugs me when someone wants to go hunting and doesn't have a suppressed firearm. Luckily, I am fortunate enough to have a few extra options to loan out if occasion requires it. 

Traditionally, hunters usually don't use earpro at all, and just bear the hearing loss for their one shot per season or whatever. 

If you're going hog hunting and plan to do more shooting, but don't have suppressors, you'd probably be best off with some electronic amplified muffs. They allow you to still hear whats going on, but they suppress the higher dB impulses. Prices on those go from ~40 for Howard Leights on Amazon (which work fine but aren't super comfortable) to a few hundred for MSA Sordin or Peltor ComTacs, with several price points in between. The Peltor ComTacs with the gel ear cups I used overseas were so comfortable, I'd forget I had them on after a while. Those specifically were also for comms so that's not necessarily what you're looking for but I believe they make non-comm versions as well. 
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info Daggert, what do you know about electronic ear plugs?
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 12:44:01 AM EDT
[#3]
nothing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Howard Leight electronic ear pro is nice.  If on foot, and at night, you definitely want heightened hearing for awareness.  Even if not in that scenario, accentuated hearing always helps.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 for the Howard Leight's. They really amplify normal sounds well, and block out gunshots. Perfect for being able to have a quiet conversation, while still protecting your ears. I have shot 12 ga. out of an 18" barrel, and 5.56 out of a 16" barrel with the Howard Leight's. No complaints whatsoever.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Hog rush titanium works pretty good. But if you cant wait for the stamp the howards work great.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Peltor TEP-100
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Howard Leight cheap and effective

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X if you can justify the price. They can be worn comfortably a lot longer than the Howard Leights. I ordered my MSA directly from Norway through Lamnia and saved almost $100 over what we pay here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top