Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2016 3:56:26 PM EDT
I have quite a few hogs visiting my feeder at night, and only one NV scope. I'd like to put up some illumination so other people can shoot when I have a few hogs around the feeder.

Would I be better off with s feeder light, or a light from one of our stands/blinds? Should I go with a constant light, or one we can turn off and on? I know not to shine it directly at the hogs.

Also, red or green? I've read both will spook hogs if used in a wrong way.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I would use constant on green LED light. If lights go on and off it will probably scare off any big old smart hogs.  Put couple under side of the feeder and around the feeder and you should not have any problems seeing them through regular scope or scaring them off.  You don't want lights to move in the wind as it will create moving shadows and it will scare them off.  Don't use white light as it will destroy your night vision and red doesn't show very well from distance.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why not a weapons mounted IR Illuminator to remain passive?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have quite a few hogs visiting my feeder at night, and only one NV scope. I'd like to put up some illumination so other people can shoot when I have a few hogs around the feeder.

Would I be better off with s feeder light, or a light from one of our stands/blinds? Should I go with a constant light, or one we can turn off and on? I know not to shine it directly at the hogs.

Also, red or green? I've read both will spook hogs if used in a wrong way.

Why not a weapons mounted IR Illuminator to remain passive?

I have one on my rifle for my NV scope, but my brother doesn't have NV anything, so we need visible light for him.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used these lights successfully in the past before I had night vision and thermal. The last version I was using is one I made myself and equipped it with a dimmer switch that I can control from my stand.  I placed the light on top of a tall tripod and pointed straight at the theater about 50 to 75 yards away depending on my stand location.  I would adjust the dimmer down as low as I could see what I need to see through my scope and never had a problem speaking hogs.  The light remains stationary and perfectly motionless the whole time it's on so there is less chance of the hogs getting spooked.  It will run all night on a single 12 V corn feeder sized battery.  My lights used red LEDs.  Also using this type of set up will eliminate the need for you to need your own IR illuminator.

http://www.feederlights.com/

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I used someone else's blind a while back. He had gone and bought a couple solar garden lights, the kind with a small panel on top that you plant in the ground for aesthetics. He took two or three of those and strung them in a tree around his feeder with the panels pointed so they'd still get light. So it gets dark and they shine on. Tons of pigs came in and it didn't seem to bother them until I started shooting.

Seemed like a real cheap and easy way to light a feeder. Could probably take the bulb or whatever out and replace with green, or even tape some green cellophane around it. Since they are always out there the pigs get used to it quick and associate it with a food source. Just a thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top