Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2015 11:07:32 AM EDT
Anybody here hunt hogs using shotgun?  Not the aerial hunting kind in youtube but on the ground.
Looking for some firsthand experience with load, range and it's effectiveness.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anybody here hunt hogs using shotgun?  Not the aerial hunting kind in youtube but on the ground.
Looking for some firsthand experience with load, range and it's effectiveness.
View Quote

I have a few times. It was a number of years ago. Mossberg 500 12 gaauge with 20" barrel with a flashlight attached. Used 00 2.75 buck shot.

Worked really well but this was in a pecan orchard and shooting at most 25-30 yards. Was a lot of fun, killed them quick, one night 4 of us killed like 27 pigs in a couple minutes.

Any 1 oz foster slug would be a great choice out of a large variety of shotguns and will get you out to 100 yards pretty easily.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep.  Was just out a couple of weeks ago.  Using a Moss 930SPX with a primary arms ultimate weapon light.  We ended up getting 6 pigs over a couple of nights.  That was my first chance getting after pigs with a shot gun.  What I experienced:

First night I was loaded with 00 buck shot, I hit several pigs with good body shots that did not go down.  Ran off and gone.  One pig took 3 rounds before he went down.  Another that I had a good shot on was taken down by another guy in our group with an AR.  Upon inspection he had several pellets in him but none were immediately lethal.

Second day, I was shooting slugs.  Great improvement, significantly more damage and better chance of immediate (or close there in) take down.

If I hunt pigs with shotgun again, Ill be sticking to slugs.  Otherwise back to the tried and true 450 Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Hornady makes a 12ga SST sabot slug that will hammer pigs. Problem is, after putting one through my 18" rifled barrel on my Rem. 870 there is enough recoil to make follow ups a little slow.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have done it. Not my preferred tool of choice tho.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Smacking hogs at close range in heavy brush is a rush!

I prefer No. 1 Buck, but I've used 00 and No. 4, all 12 ga 2 3/4 through either an 18 or 20" 870.  I've never had trouble getting one down, but I haven't ever killed a really big one (300+ pounds) with a shotgun.  I have killed 3 shoats with one blast.

Wading through belly deep brush full of rooters is dangerous and retarded, you probably shouldn't try it at home...
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#6]
My experience is that you have limited range,  25yds or so.
If you can get that close your first shot is usually DRT or close to it.
The problem I had was follow up shots, the pigs quickly got out of effective range.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 3:38:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Benelli M4 with RMR and Winchester segmented slug at 50 yards over a feeder with solar powered red led lights at night. Hogs look like they got electrocuted.

Run buck shot behind the slug in case any of them squirt out your direction. Lots of fun.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, any time I'm hunting in the tall crops a shotgun is usually better.  30 yards tops if you want them to drop dead every time.  But you can kill them further out.  Don't use anything less than 00Buck.

Also, if you are using helmet mounted NV to hunt, shotguns are a real pain because of the recoil and smoke.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes.  when you've killed all the grown ups and there are a dozen Yorkie sized porkers under the feeder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top