Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2015 4:49:44 PM EDT
Hoping to get some insight into these lights.  I recently purchased a basic model (maybe an older model) with RED LEDs that does not have the photocell or motion detector, it is strictly on/off.  

I set it up on my feeder this weekend and turned it on at 4pm using (4) C batteries.  To my surprise the pigs came right in at 8pm without issue like they didn't even notice the light.  The problem was from my stand, which is about 100yrds away, I could only make out black blobs under my feeder and couldn't see much more through my scope.  Needless to say I did not take a shot as I didn't want to wound an animal with a crappy shot I was not sure of.

My question is will running these lights for 4hrs run the batteries down enough to dim the lights?  Will hooking them up to my 6v battery make them any brighter than the C batteries.  Will a 12v make them any brighter than a 6v???  I was planning on buying their  6v solar panel and photocell to put on later this month but don't want to add more $$ to the system if the brightness is not going to increase.  

I was also thinking about adding a scope mounted XLR250 to my rifle and maybe that will give me the extra light needed??

Or am I barking up the wrong tree completely and just need to buy a higher end brighter feeder light.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Forget red led light for night as they don't penetrate the dark.
I use green led lights and hogs have no problems with them if you leave them on before they come in.  They may be a little cautious as first but they'll soon forget about it.  You can see everything with green light from long distance.  You can use regular white light too but it will take a while longer for hogs to get used to it.

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#2]
You could always hook it up to your feeder battery. I would simply use a weapon mounted light to for shooting and use the kill light to see that they are there.

I had one in green and it worked well for telling if a hog was at the feeder.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help guys.

I went ahead and ordered the 6v solar panel and 6v dusk til dawn photocell to hook it up to the feeder.  Hopefully it will be a little brighter.

As back up I also ordered the Wicked Lights W402ZF rifleman kit.  I read good reviews on it and figured I'd give it a shot over the Elusive XR250.  Should be able to see those piggies now!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Another thing to mebbe try. I had a cheap l'il solar powered motion detector garage light set up over a gutpile at my old hunt club. Worked great. I used Dykem marking fluid to tint the glass and it was plenty bright. Just sit on a nearby hillside till the light came on and zappo. FWIW. d:^)
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks MegaDeth.  I may give that a try also.

Here is a few pics of what's at the feeder at the moment.  Hoping to get a good amount of meat in the freezer before deer season starts.  Those little ones look delicious!!

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice.. Looks like pork on the menu for y'all!
They're still pretty scarce around here. Very nomadic and hard ta pin'em down.
Put up a feeder and the bears get happy.  d:^)  Jake.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Not that it matters to you now as you are pretty invested in what you have now but I use Texasboars lights and the mixture of red and green gives the contrast way better than just red. A 12v battery will run these lights for hours, I start knodding off before the battery goes dim.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a green kill light, pigs don't even know they a lit up at all.. The good thing about a weapon mounted light is when they run off you can still shot at them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I got everything hooked up last weekend.  Running the red Kill Light on the battery didn't make it any brighter.  Pretty disappointed in it.  I would think you would have to be within 30 yards or less for the light to be useful other than showing motion under the feeder.  My stand is about 70 yards from the feeder in a tree line and I can make out movement and shapes under the feeder, that's about it.

On the other hand the Red Wicked Lights rifle light I bought is awesome!  I was able to shine onto the pigs once I saw movement under the feeder and could see them clear as day through my scope and they never minded the light on them at all.  I would just point and turn it on and they just stood there like nothing was going on and I got a small sow that night.  Very pleased with the rifle light!!

With that being said I'm still not super stoked about the Red Kill Light.  We tried a green Wildgame Innovation light on my buddies feeder and as soon as the pigs would step into they light they would scatter.  I think that has more to do with the on/off of the motion sensor.  I'm going to try a Green Kill Light or other green LED system in combo with my Red one using dusk/dawn and see what happens.  Also going to order the Green LED for my weapon light as well and see what they do.

For now I'm still able to shoot pigs so pretty happy about that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Would love some updates on this when you get them. My dad has the green Elusive Wildlife feeder light but I don't believe he's ever used it. I bought the handheld/weapon mounted light with white/green/red LED drop in units. I moved to an area with hogs this year so Im hoping to get some with my green weapon light mounted on my 16" AR in 5.56 with a 3-9x Nikon. Night vision is in the future thought when the budget allows. My feeder is 100 yards from my stand.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#11]
A quick  update I've tried everything with Elusive Wildlife unit and it's just not bright enough.  It would work for someone bow hunting at 20-30yrds from the feeder but past that you can't see much.  I had a buddy that is a diesel mechanic pick up a couple of LED brake lights, I think there are 24 LEDs in each one.  I have them wired to a 12v battery in the "brake" position from the 3 post pigtail so they are as bright as you can make them.  This works perfect!!!!  I can see everything under the feeder from 100yrds away like it was daylight and the pigs don't notice them a bit!!  For cheaper than the Kill Light you can make your own that actually work.  I think I spent $40 all together on the stuff to make these.  I'll try and get some pictures this weekend.

The weapon light is still great.  I can scan side to side and focus in on a pig to get more light into my scope.  It's working great and have taken down 5 pigs with the new setup.  Got a 300+ pounder last weekend
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag for sure
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is a pic of the biggest one we've gotten so far.  Buddy said he could smell him before he even saw or heard him.  

Headed out this weekend for deer and hog and will take pictures of the new lights
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top