Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2015 3:51:50 PM EDT
Got an invite to hunt hogs and piglets down in Texas the NEXT two weeks. Saw it was high 90's there!

Are the hogs even moving in that type of heat? Is it worth the travel!??
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Dallas Fort Worth area is today a cool 93 after 105+ last week.

Depending on where you are headed humidity might make that feel worse.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Got an invite to hunt hogs and piglets down in Texas the best two weeks. Saw it was high 90's there!

View Quote

Maybe you mean "next" two weeks?  Not sure.  

If you're coming all the way here for the hunt and then turning around, no, that sounds like a stupid idea.  But yeah, they're out.  They've been used to the heat just like everyone else.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I'm asking if the hogs come out during the day at all!?pretty hot.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If there is water in the place, afternoon hunts should be decent. I sneak up on water tanks in the summer and blast them in their sleep. But it's a pretty miserable time to be out compared to winter and spring.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Game cams on our property show lots of 10pm, 2am, and 6:45am movement.  Basically, when the sun is not around.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I can kill as many right now as I can in the winter. It is just freaking brutal especially in a blind with no air moving.

Every now and then I get mad enough at them to head out and kill some when I have them patterned on the game cams.

Anyone inviting me right now better have specifics on movement and times. Anything resembling a "hog sign" chase or "they are in the area" will result in a quick no thanks answer from me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:08:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 4:05:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I operate a NV guide service in N. FL but I grew up in Austin. As was stated if there is water the hogs will gravitate towards it. Here in FL is the same, it might be 5-10 degrees cooler but our humidity is always above 30% so in the summer it's just miserable, but I always think it could always be worse, because I only hunt at night. You can do it, but for a Yankee I recommend getting one of those neck wraps you freeze over night and wear it around your neck during the hunt to keep cool.

ETA
Get a therma cell for skeeters it's worth it's weight in gold.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Got an invite to hunt hogs and piglets down in Texas the NEXT two weeks. Saw it was high 90's there!

View Quote

2 weeks ago
100 degree afternoon about 3pm near water

Dawn in a field
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#10]
The hogs don't have RV's so they don't leave the area for cooler weather.        Water sources and shaded areas will be popular and productive.

take pics....tell us stories.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Couple weeks ago we were doing some stand maintenance on a buddy's place around 8:30am I took a shot at a pig with his 5.7 pistol and missed.  About 20 minutes later another group came in and I shot one of them.  They move if they're accustomed to eating at certain times
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Night vision with a light weight shirt. They move year round. Crops have all Ben cut in my area. This is the prime time of the year and I'm stuck working 7 hrs away from home lol.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#13]
around 2200 hrs just 2 weeks ago, I walked up on a large sounder of approximately 60 feral hogs eating in the middle of a field
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm pretty close, South-Central Ok. My experience this weekend- had let two hog pipes I keep baited with corn in the same location go empty for a few weeks due to taking a break from the heat. Went out Friday evening to fill them up and saw no signs that hogs had been there for a long time- no tracks, grass grown back up, etc. Filled with corn and went back out Sunday, there was a fresh path beaten to them and they were both emptiied. Ground torn up all around and one was actually broken loose and pushed about 100 yds away. Guess they were just waiting....
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The hogs are moving very well at night right now killed 24 in 3 hours last Saturday off cattle feeders.  Like the others said above find water and you will improve your day/evening chances.  

Also with all the rain we had earlier in the year after the drought all the sows are pregnant or have big litters of piglets in tow next year is going to be a good time to hog hunt in Texas!
View Quote

Dang, that's a lot of piggies.  If you have any extras slap some stamps on their butts and mail me a couple, my smoker will send you a Christmas card lol.

I envy you guys with access to piggies, love the pics!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes sir!  We shot 10 last friday night.  I started seeing hogs right before dark under feeders.  We shot 4 or 5 before 10pm then got on our last group at 1 isn.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Hogs don't have RV's so they don't go anywhere.    The best spots would be around water and shade.  Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top