Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2015 12:04:15 AM EDT
This is more of a general hunting question, but since I hunt hogs more than anything else, my question goes here.

For my Mosin-Nagant 91/30, I currently have the steel-core FMJ surplus rounds for it, but since I'm starting to run low on them, I'll be getting a couple boxes of 7.62x54R soon. I read that full metal jacket rounds suck for hunting, so I plan on getting hollowpoints, but when my dad found out, he said, "You don't use hollowpoints for hunting, they break up inside the hog and get bits of metal everywhere, ruining the meat. You use hollowpoints on people" Is my dad correct about this? If so, what type of 7.62x54R should I get?

Another question: I was told earlier that the WW2 bolt actions like my Mosin aren't that great for hog hunting. So if they aren't that great, and an AR-15/AR-10 is too pricey for me, what would be a good hog hunting rifle that's not too expensive? A SKS?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:06:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This is more of a general hunting question, but since I hunt hogs more than anything else, my question goes here.

For my Mosin-Nagant 91/30, I currently have the steel-core FMJ surplus rounds for it, but since I'm starting to run low on them, I'll be getting a couple boxes of 7.62x54R soon. I read that full metal jacket rounds suck for hunting, so I plan on getting hollowpoints, but when my dad found out, he said, "You don't use hollowpoints for hunting, they break up inside the hog and get bits of metal everywhere, ruining the meat. You use hollowpoints on people" Is my dad correct about this? If so, what type of 7.62x54R should I get?

Another question: I was told earlier that the WW2 bolt actions like my Mosin aren't that great for hog hunting. So if they aren't that great, and an AR-15/AR-10 is too pricey for me, what would be a good hog hunting rifle that's not too expensive? A SKS?
View Quote

a good, serviceable ar can be had for only a tiny bit more than an sks

Mosins will work, but  there are far better options

Ive used fmj's for hunting, no problem

Soft-points are good to

If you want  to minimize  meat damage, stay away from hollow points
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:09:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive killed a lot of hogs with 7.62x39 wolf hp, and they like to shed the jacket when punching threw the sholder bone. dont know about the 54r. I hope your not running dogs with that long of a rifle.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#3]
No dogs, it's just me with my Mosin, and my dad with his Marlin .30-.30 when we hunt.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:42:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Getcha some

http://sgammo.com/product/brown-bear/20-rd-box-762x54r-soft-point-brown-bear-203-grain-ammo

You'll feel it working.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Get you some soft point ammo. As for age, my 7x57 Spanish Mouser (c.1913) is a fantastic hunter.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Good hunting ammo will expand but not fragment.

That being said, even when fragmentation does happen, you can cut out the exploded bits of meat and avoid most of the problem.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:09:00 AM EDT
[#7]
It really depends upon the construction of the hollow point.  Thinner jacketed JHP like varmint rounds tend to fragment and leave little pieces of bullet.  More heavily constructed bullets don't.

In the 7.62x54 I would use a jacketed soft point.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:09:55 AM EDT
[#8]
It really depends upon the construction of the hollow point.  Thinner jacketed JHP like varmint rounds tend to fragment and leave little pieces of bullet.  More heavily constructed bullets don't.

In the 7.62x54 I would use a jacketed soft point.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#9]
The MN is not horrible.
Good powerful round
For many of us the military sights are a challenge but I am thinking the OP is a younger fellow and has better eyes than most of us

I would try to find some soft points (as others have said)

In the long run the OP might want to consider saving some cash and keeping a eye out for something more compact in bolt or lever on the used market but the MN with decent ammo will put them down
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No dogs, it's just me with my Mosin, and my dad with his Marlin .30-.30 when we hunt.
View Quote

Even the .30/30 can break up on a hogs shoulder. Aim for the head neck junction and you will not waste much meat with either choice of rounds. Besides the ribs on wild hogs are not that good anyway so if you loose a little rib meat so what coyotes gotta eat to.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#11]
If you are successful with your current rifle and enjoy using it I wouldn't change a thing. Buy some good softpoint ammunition and give them hogs hell!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Hello,
I really like the SST:

You can find them pre-loaded if you don't handload.
I use these primarily for coyote control when needed, but they will kill anything I run into in Indiana.  For bear, I'd go to a heavier bullet, but the caliber is still very viable.
We have a small population of wild hogs here.  It's only going to grow, and my pet Mosin is my first choice.  It's powerful, cycles fairly quickly (I'm a lefty and appreciate the straight bolt handle), loads from stripper clips, and is a very tough gun.
Mine has a two-stage trigger, adjustable sights, and a few other goodies.  
Not all hollowpoints come apart.  Old-style ones sometimes do, and certain hollowpoints in which the hollowpoint is for flight characteristics only (SMK, for example) either don't expand or shatter.  This is why the company does not recommend them for hunting.
On the other hand, soft points or modern hollowpoints should do just fine.
Regards,
Josh

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#13]
grabagun.com has a Smith mp15 for $539 free shipping this wknd, no tax if not in Tx.

Psa has a cheaper option if you can assemble a lower.

Mags are $9 in the ee.

Hunting hogs?, fmj is fine.

Txl
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hello,

I really like the SST:

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o560/Smith-Sights/Reloading/smithsightsmosinSST1.jpg

You can find them pre-loaded if you don't handload.

I use these primarily for coyote control when needed, but they will kill anything I run into in Indiana.  For bear, I'd go to a heavier bullet, but the caliber is still very viable.

We have a small population of wild hogs here.  It's only going to grow, and my pet Mosin is my first choice.  It's powerful, cycles fairly quickly (I'm a lefty and appreciate the straight bolt handle), loads from stripper clips, and is a very tough gun.

Mine has a two-stage trigger, adjustable sights, and a few other goodies.  

Not all hollowpoints come apart.  Old-style ones sometimes do, and certain hollowpoints in which the hollowpoint is for flight characteristics only (SMK, for example) either don't expand or shatter.  This is why the company does not recommend them for hunting.

On the other hand, soft points or modern hollowpoints should do just fine.

Regards,

Josh  
View Quote

What part of Indiana are you located.   I'm pretty close to Vincennes and I'm hearing rumors of feral hogs along both sides of the Wabash River.  I have yet to see any hogs yet but a neighbor supposedly has seen hogs near his property.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I use Factory load Hornady SST's (hollow point) and while the usually don't fragment.

I hit a deer in the shoulder and the bullet split in two.  After slicing and dicing up the meat, grinding into chuck, it wasn't too pleasant chomping down on a 1mm piece of the bullet that made it through all that.  

I'm leaning towards "Yes, your dad is correct", but I plan on using the same bullets next time I go out.  

You can pick up a "bare minimum" remington 700 for about 350, a savage model 110 for about 200 in 30-06 or 308.  Either will do just fine for hogs.  I use a remington 700 ADL in 30-06 that I got used for about $300 and its easily a 1/2 moa rifle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top