User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm going this weekend and probably some next week but I'm going to focus on the fields and pipeline since I just got dope on my SPR out to 800yds with the MK262. Should be interesting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
interesting, thanks for the reply.

I've used 90gr Federal gold-dot on deer with great success FWIW.  Can't hunt with 223/556 here in VA though, so no input on deer with that caliber.

Have you bothered to try any of the TSX in 223/556?  I have some 55gr TSX's that I've been saving maybe for coyotes, but probably not necessary.

thanks

I have a ton of 75gr match ammo and keep a good stock of MK262 so I haven't bothered with the TSX stuff since it's kind of pricy.

Just found this thread...I have some 62gr TSX that I loaded up for hogs.  Just gotta get the chance to get out with you and try them out.

I'm going this weekend and probably some next week but I'm going to focus on the fields and pipeline since I just got dope on my SPR out to 800yds with the MK262. Should be interesting.

ehem....
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

ehem....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
interesting, thanks for the reply.

I've used 90gr Federal gold-dot on deer with great success FWIW.  Can't hunt with 223/556 here in VA though, so no input on deer with that caliber.

Have you bothered to try any of the TSX in 223/556?  I have some 55gr TSX's that I've been saving maybe for coyotes, but probably not necessary.

thanks

I have a ton of 75gr match ammo and keep a good stock of MK262 so I haven't bothered with the TSX stuff since it's kind of pricy.

Just found this thread...I have some 62gr TSX that I loaded up for hogs.  Just gotta get the chance to get out with you and try them out.

ehem....

Yes dear?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yes dear?
View Quote

I'm free next week if you need a back rub or something.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
As I was looking through the pics I was wandering if you were in the Hill Country. I do some hunting not far away in Bertram.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice kills.   Only question I have is what colored hair does the mailman have in San Saba.  I have worked with two guys from San Saba and they both had red hair.  One was a guy with the last name Pulatie, his uncle is Macy Ledbetter a well known biologist, and the other was a Hawkins.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice kills.   Only question I have is what colored hair does the mailman have in San Saba.  I have worked with two guys from San Saba and they both had red hair.  One was a guy with the last name Pulatie, his uncle is Macy Ledbetter a well known biologist, and the other was a Hawkins.
View Quote

I have no idea. I live in Fort Worth. Lol
I'm pretty sure that Ledbetter lives in San Saba, he's actually been to the ranch.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you notice a difference in performance between M193 and M855?  IE, does the M193 usually drop them sooner or with less hits than the M855?

Another member posted that in regards to hogs, M193 and 5.45x38 had around the same level of terminal performance (good), with M855 being notably worse.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can you notice a difference in performance between M193 and M855?  IE, does the M193 usually drop them sooner or with less hits than the M855?

Another member posted that in regards to hogs, M193 and 5.45x38 had around the same level of terminal performance (good), with M855 being notably worse.
View Quote

Not particularly. About the only thing that I stopped using besides Wolf was South African 193, it didn't seem to frag or yaw.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Shot this one Sunday evening. It was my girlfriends first time driving the ranger and when I told her to go after them she basically just followed behind them instead of pulling up alongside. So it took a few more shots than normal to drop her. Blew one of it's legs off and her guts out before she stopped and I put one in her forehead. Now my lady knows to pull up alongside or head them off.

Also shot one with my 1911 and 230gr hydrashoks while we were swimming about 60yds away. Looked like a good shoulder shot as it fell over for a second before stumbling off and had a good blood trail but all I had on was swim shorts and swim shoes so didn't really look, got ate up by chiggers anyway. I may look again later this week.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup, gotta teach her to round them up rather than push em.  Still = one dead hog.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yup, gotta teach her to round them up rather than push em.  Still = one dead hog.
View Quote

She did out fish us guys though. I've built her and AR and we've been practicing; I think she'll be ready for her first hog soon.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#12]
That is always sweet.  Wish I could get my wife out hunting.  She won't even fish with me.  At least she does go to the range from time to time.  Keep at it.  Looks way too fun.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#14]

what ammo?
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Thanks again, C!

Hornady 75gr match, for those that care.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=78473

Thanks again, C!

View Quote

I care, I live vicariously through all y'alls hog hunting pics .
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:07:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=78473

Thanks again, C!

View Quote

I'll post the other pics when I get home. Dillehayd got three over one evening and morning. I got two yesterday evening and three tonight.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Here are other two that Dillehayd got. He used a 30cal OBR on one though. Maybe he will share his thoughts on how he felt the 308 performed against the 223.

30cal hog taken a little over 100yds.

223 taken between 50-75yds.

I shot this one with my 18'' LaRue barreled SPR and MK262 ammo from a tad over 100yds. He was running pretty fast so I had to lead him about 2mils.

Then one with a 12.5 and m855. Maybe a 50yd head shot but it was a little off so I shot it again.

I shot these three last night. They were all in a group that I snuck a couple of guests up on but they shot and missed. They started running and made it about 100yds before I decided to kill them. Three shots, three dead hogs using the SPR and MK262 ammo.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Saaweeet.  Looks like smoker time?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Saaweeet.  Looks like smoker time?
View Quote

I typically quit eating them in Spring the start back up in late Fall. Too many ticks, fleas and flies to deal with addition to fighting the heat.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Flame thrower?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Here are other two that Dillehayd got. He used a 30cal OBR on one though. Maybe he will share his thoughts on how he felt the 308 performed against the 223.

30cal hog taken a little over 100yds.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/clharr/Hunting%20101/ca3253d8-a76c-4a44-93c9-c70737fb5ea8_zpsbt4zutyc.jpg

223 taken between 50-75yds.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/clharr/Hunting%20101/image_zpshu0if23j.jpg

I shot this one with my 18'' LaRue barreled SPR and MK262 ammo from a tad over 100yds. He was running pretty fast so I had to lead him about 2mils.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/clharr/Hunting%20101/image_zpspcbtqjzk.jpg

Then one with a 12.5 and m855. Maybe a 50yd head shot but it was a little off so I shot it again.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/clharr/Hunting%20101/image_zpsjy32hobt.jpg

I shot these three last night. They were all in a group that I snuck a couple of guests up on but they shot and missed. They started running and made it about 100yds before I decided to kill them. Three shots, three dead hogs using the SPR and MK262 ammo.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/clharr/Hunting%20101/image_zpsposxlvbv.jpg
View Quote

Couple things...

Shooting with 7.62 and 5.56 the onlydifference is recoil  at 100y. That and exit wound size.

The one OP hit with m855 above was running so while he is modest, it was dark and a great shot.

Last, I suspect it is no accident that he got more hogs after I left than while I was there playing scarecrow.

Ok, really last...we missed out on at least 2 more between us stalking in the dark. I had his sbr and he a pistol and we got within 40 yards of a group of 6 in an open field. Crazy how close you can get when you use the wind.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:45:00 AM EDT
[#26]
OP-If you had to pick between the MK262 OTM and the Hornady 75 gr BTHPM, which would be the winner? Not in accuracy, in terminal performance. I got both and they both group about the same from my "hunting" AR.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP-If you had to pick between the MK262 OTM and the Hornady 75 gr BTHPM, which would be the winner? Not in accuracy, in terminal performance. I got both and they both group about the same from my "hunting" AR.
View Quote

Flip a coin. I have more experience with the 262 but I have killed stuff(including deer) with 75gr TAP, which is a different bullet than the BTHP, and a couple of other 75gr offerings.

I can say that the 77gr OTM's kill bad guys quite often.

Really, as long as it frags, yaws, or mushrooms it will get the job done. Shoot them in the neck or brain and it's all the same.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Fwiw, my son and I were shooting side by side, I was using a 6.8 SPC II and SSA 115gr TSX ammo, he was using a 223/5.56 and 75gr Hornaday BTHP ammo. We killed 14 hogs, all 30-60lbs, and there was no discernible difference in performance.

On one occasion we were both able to drop a pair with a single shot, so his BTHP's were passing through (on neck shots) with plenty of bullet and energy left.

We didn't do any bullet digging or wound cavity examinations, but the 223/5.56 Shooting the Hornaday 75gr BTHP's sure did the job.

JPK
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Fwiw, my son and I were shooting side by side, I was using a 6.8 SPC II and SSA 115gr TSX ammo, he was using a 223/5.56 and 75gr Hornaday BTHP ammo. We killed 14 hogs, all 30-60lbs, and there was no discernible difference in performance.

On one occasion we were both able to drop a pair with a single shot, so his BTHP's were passing through (on neck shots) with plenty of bullet and energy left.

We didn't do any bullet digging or wound cavity examinations, but the 223/5.56 Shooting the Hornaday 75gr BTHP's sure did the job.

JPK
View Quote

Thank you for sharing. That is one of the reasons I got out of the 6.8 game, I didn't feel it gave me much of an edge especially considering the additional cost of ammo.

I won't knock those who use it or even prefer it, but I do argue my belief that 223 works just as well, if not better, against people with little to no experience actually killing animals with either round.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thank you for sharing. That is one of the reasons I got out of the 6.8 game, I didn't feel it gave me much of an edge especially considering the additional cost of ammo.

I won't knock those who use it or even prefer it, but I do argue my belief that 223 works just as well, if not better, against people with little to no experience actually killing animals with either round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JPK

As we have discussed before my experience killing deer mimics yours killing hogs.  223 is my preferred round.  When you get out to 400 ish and the wind is blowing my Grendel requires a lot less wind age but Indont see a terminal performance difference.  Often my exit wounds are larger with 223 than with other larger cailbers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Flip a coin. I have more experience with the 262 but I have killed stuff(including deer) with 75gr TAP, which is a different bullet than the BTHP, and a couple of other 75gr offerings.

Really, as long as it frags, yaws, or mushrooms it will get the job done. Shoot them in the neck or brain and it's all the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. I have a considerable supply of both- while I've seen both perform well on paper, steel, and "non-edible 2 legged varmints", I never tried them..... stateside.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:22:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

As we have discussed before my experience killing deer mimics yours killing hogs.  223 is my preferred round.  When you get out to 400 ish and the wind is blowing my Grendel requires a lot less wind age but Indont see a terminal performance difference.  Often my exit wounds are larger with 223 than with other larger cailbers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

JPK

I'm actually building a new "deer" rifle with a LaRue predatar barrel and liteweight KMR handguard. It should be a pretty handy carbine. Out of all the deer I've shot the only ones to pretty much flop over within 10-15yds have been with a 223. Every single one I've shot with a 308 ran 50yds or more with much more meat damage. I shot three deer in about 20 minutes with my 308 two seasons ago and they all ran far as hell, text book lung shots. My main deer calibers now are 223 and 243 with 308 being the choice for 300yd+ shots just because I know my dials and wind calls with it better.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I got this guy and his brother the other day.  I jumped him at about 100 yards, but by the time I got the tractor shut down and started shooting he was around 200.  He took 5, one through the ham that broke his leg (he was running straight away from me), one through the shoulder low, one high, one through the neck, and one in the gut.  When I walked up to him, he came at me from roughly 10 yards, but went down with one straight on in the neck.

Cut me some slack on the shooting, I was balancing on the front tire and fuel tank of a running tractor.  

When I came off the scope, his brother was standing at 50 yards looking at me.  He took off before I shot, but two to the shoulder put him down.  I'm shooting up some Remington Premier Core Lokt Ultra Bonded I found cheap, and I really don't like this ammo.  The only through and throughs were the gut and neck shot.  It doesn't put them down nearly as quickly as Gold Dots.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#34]
...I'd throw rocks before I shot corelokt again...
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#35]
After loosing our preferred factory load when SSA sold out to Nosler (95 TTSX) and we began including ammo into our overhead, we looked hard for a viable alternative to what we knew worked best. After a year of daily testing, the Federal Fusion 62 gr offering has become our round of choice. We'd like to shoot the 62 gr TSX but now that we have to pay for ammo it's not in the budget.  When shooting hundreds of pigs per day we are able to see the differences in ammo performance in regards to stopping movement dependent on shot placement. Behind the ear on every shot is out of the question with our procedures, so any hit on target is a success. We judge the ammo based off of the reaction from a hit anywhere on the pig. I'm still a huge fan of the TSX, but since we can't get a deal from a manufacturer of that round we chose what worked best and wasn't more expensive than fuel.

Standard 5.56 FMJ will do the job but Fusion is a good choice for those shooting low volume looking for an upgraded performance that's been proven through some extensive testing.

clharr, thanks for starting this thread. I hope to make a San Saba shoot soon as I'm a Hill Country local and would enjoy shooting the shit with you guys.

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
After loosing our preferred factory load when SSA sold out to Nosler (95 TTSX) and we began including ammo into our overhead, we looked hard for a viable alternative to what we knew worked best. After a year of daily testing, the Federal Fusion 62 gr offering has become our round of choice. We'd like to shoot the 62 gr TSX but now that we have to pay for ammo it's not in the budget.  When shooting hundreds of pigs per day we are able to see the differences in ammo performance in regards to stopping movement dependent on shot placement. Behind the ear on every shot is out of the question with our procedures, so any hit on target is a success. We judge the ammo based off of the reaction from a hit anywhere on the pig. I'm still a huge fan of the TSX, but since we can't get a deal from a manufacturer of that round we chose what worked best and wasn't more expensive than fuel.

Standard 5.56 FMJ will do the job but Fusion is a good choice for those shooting low volume looking for an upgraded performance that's been proven through some extensive testing.

clharr, thanks for starting this thread. I hope to make a San Saba shoot soon as I'm a Hill Country local and would enjoy shooting the shit with you guys.

View Quote

Just trying to bust some myths/hearsay without starting arguments in other peoples threads. dillehayd and his son got around six hogs this morning, hopefully he'll post the pics later.

The future of our group shoots is up in the air since the ranch is for sale. A couple of guys interested in the whole place looked at it today.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Just trying to bust some myths/hearsay without starting arguments in other peoples threads. dillehayd and his son got around six hogs this morning, hopefully he'll post the pics later.

The future of our group shoots is up in the air since the ranch is for sale. A couple of guys interested in the whole place looked at it today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big or small, 5.56 appears to get the job done. And gosh...if you're going to call me out, I'll brag on my son some

Yesterday afternoon this one was shot moving at about 75 yards. Not good placement; bullet was basically a center mass side shot. He went about 100 yards and laid down. We caught up and finished him off when he stood up with simultaneous shots in the shoulder (my son) and the neck (me) at about 40 yards.

Found a small group - about 8 - in a field and engaged as they started trotting away.  The 3 I took all went down DRT in the sights. 2 head shots, 1 neck.  Pretty short shots, mostly 40 and 50 yards as they trotted one way and then broke for a fence the opposite way.  Bad choice for them!

Ammo was 70gr TSX from SSA.  It's more accurate on paper than the 75 grain stuff I shot last time.  Big guy was shot with a 16" tOBR as were two of the small guys.  3 of the small guys with a 11.3" barrel.

Clharr: Big guy was leaving the tank at the top of Cedar Hill when we spotted him as we came up the road.  The 5 were in the exact same spot, and I mean within feet, where you and I got them on our morning hunt.  I parked well before the creek and we walked in. Glad too, because aside from a big group down the hill on the other ranch, these were the only ones we saw in the fields at all.  Big group of turkey in the further field though. Per your advice I switched over to a red dot (well, an eotech XPS) and I was consistently waiting on my son to get lined up. Great advice, as always!

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for sharing scarecrow . I knew exactly where you got them just from the pics. Glad you guys had a good time despite the heat.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that, didn't know it was for sale.  No arguments from me about FMJ 5.56 or .223 in regards to killing pigs; I'll back you up on that statement any day. Our first two years were M855 only because the owner had tens of thousands of rounds stored away, and I don't recall ever hearing complaints from the guys about not being able to kill pigs. It wasn't until years later that we began to appreciate the differences in ammo, and only because we were able to see it in person day after day.  My Fusion recommendation was just a bit of insight in case others were interested in what ammo we were using daily.  193 or 855 no doubt works with ease though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Big or small, 5.56 appears to get the job done. And gosh...if you're going to call me out, I'll brag on my son some

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=79023

Yesterday afternoon this one was shot moving at about 75 yards. Not good placement; bullet was basically a center mass side shot. He went about 100 yards and laid down. We caught up and finished him off when he stood up with simultaneous shots in the shoulder (my son) and the neck (me) at about 40 yards.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=79024

Found a small group - about 8 - in a field and engaged as they started trotting away.  The 3 I took all went down DRT in the sights. 2 head shots, 1 neck.  Pretty short shots, mostly 40 and 50 yards as they trotted one way and then broke for a fence the opposite way.  Bad choice for them!

Ammo was 70gr TSX from SSA.  It's more accurate on paper than the 75 grain stuff I shot last time.  Big guy was shot with a 16" tOBR as were two of the small guys.  3 of the small guys with a 11.3" barrel.

Clharr: Big guy was leaving the tank at the top of Cedar Hill when we spotted him as we came up the road.  The 5 were in the exact same spot, and I mean within feet, where you and I got them on our morning hunt.  I parked well before the creek and we walked in. Glad too, because aside from a big group down the hill on the other ranch, these were the only ones we saw in the fields at all.  Big group of turkey in the further field though. Per your advice I switched over to a red dot (well, an eotech XPS) and I was consistently waiting on my son to get lined up. Great advice, as always!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You, your son and clharr all have fine tastes in rifles, also really like your camo job on that carbine clharr.  Nice work on those pigs. Of all the places I've worked, Cherokee County is what I'd call ground zero for ferals and they're moving North East quickly, so San Saba will have plenty more for a long time. Those pecan farmers are already seeing trouble.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You, your son and clharr all have fine tastes in rifles, also really like your camo job on that carbine clharr.  Nice work on those pigs. Of all the places I've worked, Cherokee County is what I'd call ground zero for ferals and they're moving North East quickly, so San Saba will have plenty more for a long time. Those pecan farmers are already seeing trouble.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ten minutes and a few shades of spray paint is all it takes.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I thought they'd decided to only sell a few hundred acres.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are tired of it I guess. I'd buy it if I could. I like that kind of work.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's actually not for sale.
Someone is trying to get us to sell.

We are waiting to see if they make an offer.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top