Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2015 8:49:40 PM EDT
Hey All,
Buddy and I are scheduled for a fall hog hunt in the Texas panhandle, I am loading up some 65 gr Gamekings for the trip, anyone have any field experience on hogs with this bullet?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
They'll do fine, especially if you hit them around the base of the neck area. If you have the ability to load up some Barnes solid copper TSX's, I'd choose those instead.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Haven't used the 65GK, but am a huge Sierra bullets fan. Give them a try and let us know what you think.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#3]
No experience on hogs, but it does a wonder on deer. Here is the entrance wound on a mulie I shot last year. The bullet passed through both sides of the ribcage and embedded itself under the hide on the opposite side.

It is an excellent bullet. Shoots amazingly well out of my colt 14.5" barrel. I am going to start using sierra gamekings across the board for all of my hunting ammo.

You can't see in that picture very well, but the hole is about the size of a quarter.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out some of the reviews here... Sierra 65 Gameking
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:38:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool. I'm curious to see how it would work penetrating a hog's shield.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No experience on hogs, but it does a wonder on deer. Here is the entrance wound on a mulie I shot last year. The bullet passed through both sides of the ribcage and embedded itself under the hide on the opposite side.

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/xoldsmugglerx/IMG_2144_zpscrdoqjjh.jpg

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/xoldsmugglerx/IMG_2145_zpsh8xcpvhe.jpg

It is an excellent bullet. Shoots amazingly well out of my colt 14.5" barrel. I am going to start using sierra gamekings across the board for all of my hunting ammo.

You can't see in that picture very well, but the hole is about the size of a quarter.

A what?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A what?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/xoldsmugglerx/IMG_2144_zpscrdoqjjh.jpg

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/xoldsmugglerx/IMG_2145_zpsh8xcpvhe.jpg

A what?

gristle shield google it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I used 90gr, 25 cal SGK's this year and they worked fine. I had one big sow that I shot twice run off, but my buddy poked her with a 223, and found out they were shots that just missed vitals but would have been a long track.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd avoid the shoulder plate entirely if possible with any round. Face shoot that motherfucker!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I hunt exclusively with these bullets.  I send em out of my handloads at around 2700.  I took 20 or so hogs last year with them weighing up to 250lbs.  I shot several of them in the shoulder and never had one fail to exit.  Distances to 150Y.  Dont waste your money on the TSX's.  Twice as expensive with the same results.  Enjoy.

LD
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I've killed a number of hogs with them.  Killed them just fine, and it also works well on deer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd avoid the shoulder plate entirely if possible with any round. Face shoot that motherfucker!!!!!
View Quote

I have to agree! 40 gr. or 65 gr. I have yet have one stop me and ask me what I'm gonna shoot them with.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#13]
If you roll up on a large hog (over 250lbs) the shoulder plate could be anywhere from 1.5-2.5 inches thick. Even smaller hogs have a substantial plate that is as tough as Rhino hide and will absorb and mitigate the effects of any round you shoot them with. That is why I personally strive for head/neck shots. I've shot hogs with everything from 5.56,300blk,.308 and in the shoulder plate they run, and I don't mean like 30 yards like a deer, they run in some cases 200 yards from the X. They get off it.
However a central nervous shut down stops them cold, and lessens the effect of hormones and adrenaline has on the flavor of the meat.

Good luck, make your hits count.

Facebook.com/silentsolutions
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top