Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2015 2:32:11 AM EDT
I've been hunting on the same property in NE GA for about 6 years now.  We've always had ample hog sign and action on certain areas of the ~700 acre property.  This year, without any notice, the landowner clear cut about 80-90 acres of the property, and select cut (mainly lanes about 30 yds apart to provide room  and better tree growing conditions for the pines) another 50-60 acres.  Our neighbor's property, which the hogs would travel through, also clear cut about 80 acres or so (if I had to guess).  This work was going on from early August - late December.  The clear cut area is pretty much not navigable due to the all trees on the ground and the mess the lumberjacks didn't clean up.  Now, I know in the long run the clear cut is great, but in the short term it sure did put a dent in our hunting of both deer and hogs.

Last year was the first year that we put out a feeder, and we killed many hogs under it.  We had hogs down there from 2 weeks after it was out until they ultimately knocked it over and damaged it, in which I had to remove it from the property for repair.  This spanned from January - July.  During this time, we had great success killing hogs.

I did not put the repaired feeder back out until late December around 12/27 (close to end of deer season here in GA).  Also, a few members also wanted to join the hog hunting fun, so they purchased and put 3 additional feeders on the property.  We basically have feeders spread from one end of the property to the other. At each feeder, we also dug 2-3 2ft deep holes, and poured in some soured corn (corn, water, yeast, jello, soaked in a bucket for 10 days or so before putting in hole).  So far, we have had zero action at any of our feeders, and it's been nearly a month since putting it out.  After thinking about it more and more, during deer season we'll usually see if not kill several hogs throughout the season.  However, this past deer season there have been no hog kills, and only 3-4 sightings on trail cams.

So has anyone dealt with this sort of problem before?  I feel that the clear cutting and other work done on the property may have scared or driven the hogs away from our property.  Any tips to try and drive the hogs back to the property?  Should we be targeting the untouched/uncut areas of the property?  Or is there any chance that the hogs will visit the cut areas?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard of someone trying to bring hogs back.  Typically people try go get rid of them.  

One thing is pretty universal though - hogs will go wherever the food is.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah it may seem strange to some, texassooner, but fortunately the number of hogs on the property allows us to easily manage them.  Plus I enjoy hunting hogs more than hunting deer at this point.  Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:49:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Could locate someone who traps hogs for sale .....there is always pigs too small for them to mess with.  Should be cheap buys.

OR

Could turn some young domestic hogs loose.

What ever you choose to do......keep the free buffet going.   It will bring one or two and their friends will tag along next time.

good luck
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Hogs will range.

But you can add a few choice items to help bring them back.

1. Scratching trees - get several carpet samples and wire them very securely to a larger tree. Then rub used motor oil in the carpets. Don't be shy about it they love rubbing it all over to keep bugs off.
2. Soured mash- mix 1 gallon of milk into 1 5gal bucket of corn and top off with some water. Let it sit for a week or so.. Maybe longer in this cool weather. It will get a very sour smell. Add that below your feeders to draw them in from long distances.
3. Plant a food plot on the clear cut somewhere. The turned up soil and the smell of fresh earth can draw them in.
4. Make sure there are some thicker privet hedges somewhere on the property. They like to hide in the thick stuff and won't stay long if it's all open.

Best of luck on the piggies.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah it may seem strange to some, texassooner, but fortunately the number of hogs on the property allows us to easily manage them.  Plus I enjoy hunting hogs more than hunting deer at this point.  Thanks for your input.
View Quote
There is no such thing as easily managing hog populations.

Top Top