Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2014 3:53:03 PM EDT
Who uses Thermacell and what's your opinion on it  goo or bad?
I was going to buy the dispenser last night till I read the list of do's and don't s  . the don't s sound scary
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have three of them and would NOT be hog or coyote hunting during the summer at night without them!

Simply excellent.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thermacell +100 have been using them for years for hunting, fishing, paintball and just playing around outside.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Mosquitoes do not normally bite me but my friends swear by the thermacells.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, Thermacell all the way.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I do and would not hunt with out one.  Here in Florida the mosquitoes get so big that they just carry you off and eat you later.  Many times I have been hunting and the mosquitoes were so thick they would cover you like another layer of hunting clothes.  Click on a Thermacel and all is right in the woods once again.

Makes you wonder why the good lord would make such a critter, I mean all they do is buzz and bite the hell out you.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:22:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Going hunting this weekend so, I better get one
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

+200!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thermacell +100 have been using them for years for hunting, fishing, paintball and just playing around outside.

+200!

+300
They are amazing! Bought the small one for hunting, then went out and got the lantern style for the backyard because I was so impressed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#9]
+487. wont go out without one.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I just use deet.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I have used DEET but it leaves a bunch of bumps on my skin. I think I'm allergic
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#12]
These comments are interesting.  I have a thermacell and it does not do a thing to stop mosquitoes where I hunt in south texas.  I wonder if thermacells could be more effective in different areas of the country.  Does anybody in south texas have a positive review of thermacell?  I now use a mesh long sleeve jacket thing which works pretty good and sometimes deet.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yep, Thermacell all the way.
View Quote
Pretty much a must, I use two just to be sure.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

These comments are interesting.  I have a thermacell and it does not do a thing to stop mosquitoes where I hunt in south texas.  I wonder if thermacells could be more effective in different areas of the country.  Does anybody in south texas have a positive review of thermacell?  I now use a mesh long sleeve jacket thing which works pretty good and sometimes deet.
View Quote
You sure that bitch is igniting?  

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Definitely worth its weight in gold. Used it on a Canadian Spring Bear hunt and the mosquitoes and black flies never bothered us. Those things are amazing!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:54:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll throw this out for anyone who's a mosquito magnet.  I'm a mosquito magnet, I get swarmed when my sister goes virtually untouched standing just a few feet away.  I have tried every crazy non-insect repellant method that has ever been thought up because I HATE spraying that stuff on me at all but especially when I'm only going to be out a short time.  Not one single method I've tried ever worked in the slightest and I got to the point that I didn't think there was anything that works other than repellent.  A couple months ago I was watching the local news about a patch for mosquitoes that supposedly works.  I immediately figured it was just another bogus claim that didn't work but, of course, I gotta try it.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find the patches anywhere so I read that the patches contain high levels of the B1 vitamin and the same effect could be attained by taking the B1 vitamin.  So, according to the doctor your body can only absorb so much B1 and the rest is excreted so it's perfectly safe to take much more than the RDA.  I went to the store, bought some B1 supplements and after the recommended time of taking them (3 days) I went out into my backyard (mosquito city) and I couldn't believe it...one bite.  Normally I'd get around 15-20 bites within a one to two minute period but I got one bite in the span of about 15-20 minutes.  I tried the same thing several days in a row and every day since and it still works.

Fast forward about a month and a half and it still works. I take one 100mg tablet every morning and my mosquito bites have dropped about 99%.  You can even take more if 100mg doesn't work well enough.  I do get the occasional bite or two when they are really bad but compared to 15-20 bites in two minutes it's no problem.  Apparently they have been using B1 in other countries with mosquito issues and it's worked extremely well.  I can't guarantee it'll work but it worked for me and nothing has ever worked for me before other than deet laced product.  It's cheap and easy so give it a try, it may not make you mosquito proof but it will make a HUGE difference.  I take a single 100mg pill each morning and also a multivitamin that has B1 in it so I take 100 plus the tiny amount in a multivitamin but you can take more if it doesn't work well enough at 100.  I cannot believe it works but it did for me at least and a lot of people in other countries.  Try it!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Interesting
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Update: went to the lease and had no time to buy the Themacell.  tried Bounce dryer sheets and worked pretty well
After reading the above post, I will try B1 vitamins
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I hunt in Central TX and use a Thermacell all the time.  

I do love it, it has a huge impact.  However I have the absolute best results with it when stationary, in a blind, etc.  I do not get the desired effectiveness if I just clip it on the belt and walk around.  For walking to/from my hunting location, I like to let it warm up as others have stated, then I rub the front of it around on my clothes before clipping it on.  It helps while walking, but I still get bitten.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top