Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2014 4:37:19 PM EDT
My son and I are going on a hog hunt next Friday in Florida. It will be stand hunting over feeders in Okeechobee.

Max range is 30-40 yards.

We've been practicing with my plinker bullets (55gr FMJ, scratch & dent cases... seconds). I intend to switch over to better hunting ammo for the next several range sessions. The plinkers are great for getting him more range time, but they don't throw super groups at 50 yards.

His rifle has an M4 Armalite upper with a 1/9 twist.

Here are our locally available non-FMJ, hunting-quality offerings:

Federal 62g Fusion
Hornady TAP 75gr
Hornady Match 68gr BTHP
Winchester SuperX 64gr

I have about 20 rounds of the Fusion already... but can get any of the other stuff as soon as tomorrow.

What should I stock up on for our final practices and the field? The TAP is likely too heavy, but the others may be OK weight-wise for the barrel twist...

Also, I understand that I should have him aim right in front of the shoulder, behind the ear, correct? Shooting in the ear doesn't seem to have much margin of error for him, and I'm hesitant to have him shoot just rear of the shoulder considering how shielded the heart/lungs are and since the pig only has to run 10-15 yards max and it'll be in the palmettos. Looking for a shot with a decent margin of error and a high probability of a DRT shot.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#1]
At that range any bullet would be okay but I'd go larger the 55gr. if you can. Shoot them in the lungs, it's a larger target, and a better chance for a kill.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At that range any bullet would be okay but I'd go larger the 55gr. if you can. Shoot them in the lungs, it's a larger target, and a better chance for a kill.
View Quote

We are definitely not using 55gr. That's just our plinking ammo.

No worries about tracking if he puts one in a bigger hog? He's hoping for a nicer one and he's proven to me in deer and turkey season that he's willing to let the smaller ones walk.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#3]
64 grain.  No need to go exotic.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I just use M855.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Use an actual hunting bullet in the 60-64 grain range
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:43:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Ended up buying several boxes of Fusion 62gr.

How big, exactly, is the kill zone around the ear/neck area?

And how effective would this ammo be with a good shoulder hit?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I just use 55gr FMJ, it does the trick.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ended up buying several boxes of Fusion 62gr.

How big, exactly, is the kill zone around the ear/neck area? understand the anatomy for best results

And how effective would this ammo be with a good shoulder hit?  as good as any
View Quote

the angle of the shot can make a difference

the anatomy is different to that of a deer

place shot where it will break the spine or in the lower ear area

most new shooters will shoot too far back on the animal and it will run off
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Should the Fusion have adequate penetration to take a shoulder shot?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#11]
55 grain fmj dropped this big ole boy in one shot, placement was right behind the shoulder 50-60 yards.

Link to pic
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks all!

Here's the success shots... turned out bullet choice was irrelevant, no hogs showed at the feeders so we ended up hunting with dogs. Shots were in the ear at a few feet.

IT'S HOGZILLA 2!!

... no, just another fun "perspective" shot.  

Actual photo... guides said it would go about 140 lbs.

My girlfriend's daughter, 15, went along too and got her first animal ever, it had lots of Russian blood in it. Very different from the feral sow my son got.

Many thanks to Chappy's Outfitters... what great guys, and a great hunt at a fair price!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have a 1:8 twist or faster barrel

Barnes 70 gr. TSX

0.244 Barnes 70 gr. TSX all copper construction monolithic
68.8 grains recovered weight after impacting into a rocky hillside!
3 shot group @48 yards = 3/8"
Mushroom = 0.476"
2,752 fps from a Wilson Arms 1:7 RH Twist

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Nothing wrong with 55g fmj.  That's pretty much all I use these days.  Shoot it in the neck right behind the head and it will drop without taking a step.  Shouldn't be hard at the ranges you are talking about.

If you really want to use a better bullet then I would suggest the 55g TSX.  

Eta: just saw your last post.  Congrats!  Looks like a blast!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top