Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 4:23:07 PM EDT
I don't know if this is the appropriate forum for this. If not, apologies in advance. It's night-vision related, so...

I'm looking for a few guys that want to get together at various times to go to private property / farms here in the northeast quadrant of Alabama for night hunting of feral hogs and possibly coyotes. This is purely for recreation, and is NOT a business, etc. I have some extra NV gear to loan, but if you have your own stuff, even better.

I don't have any property lined up yet, but I'm reasonably certain that won't be a problem. Hogs are enough of problem around here I personally know other farmers are praying for some relief.

So, if you're an NV / Thermal guy, and are up for some hog and/or coyote hunting, IM or email me if interested in joining up. I'm thinking we can get together in small groups of 3-4 guys at various dates. You'll only need to bring some decent beer for post-hunt festivities, and if we're successful, you can bring some freezer stuffin's home with you.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in north Florida and I'm down for a road trip.

I have fun night gear and little laser things too!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Email sent.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Email sent.
View Quote

Got it! Replied.

I'll line up the farms / land over the next week or so and will send out a "group" email once we get the details worked out. This way we can coordinate dates and times. I'm hoping to get a few different ones set so we can have multiple outings.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
how far north in bama?

I wouldnt mind a summer road trip and I have more vacation time than I know what to do with
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd be up for it. We would need a night permit from Fish & Game, right?

You could show me all the advantages of high end NV and start a new addiction I can't afford.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd be up for it. We would need a night permit from Fish & Game, right?
View Quote

I'm not sure if that's required on private property, but will look into it just the same.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm slammed through the month of may...but road trips that end with hog death and a cold beer? Yeah, I'm down.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm interested. PM me if you don't mind.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds kinda interesting on the surface, but would require some Form 20's, and live fire in the dark with complete strangers.....hmmm, maybe not so sure about that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds kinda interesting on the surface, but would require some Form 20's, and live fire in the dark with complete strangers.....hmmm, maybe not so sure about that.
View Quote

It's not so bad...I tried it in Baghdad and only got hit once!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Ill bring my plates!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

A dude with the handle "MurderMan" is worried about getting killed?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A dude with the handle "MurderMan" is worried about getting killed?  
View Quote

I am not worried about getting killed, but getting shot would be a bummer.

My handle is a carryover from some 4x4 friends a couple decades ago....man, you're going to murder your truck.  It was an '83 Toyo with V-6 Chevy power on 38x12.50 Swampers that pulled out a full-size '78-79 vintage Bronco with that damn heavy 351M stuck to the axles on 38x15's.....using a nylon sling and just a little bit of momentum.  

As one gets older, it becomes more about finness, while still being aware of the skinny pedal on the right.  That same engine and tranny in the Toyo-Heep, but they have each been rebuilt once and the 4.3 runs EFI now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Ha! I had to laugh out loud at that one.
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#15]
A damage control permit from the local conservation officer will be required to hunt with NV and thermal, even on private property, in Alabama
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Delta4-3 -
View Quote

I wanna hunt with this guy, didn't know there were feral hogs Baghdad
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:59:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Delta4-3 -

LOL! Well I can say I ever saw a pig, but no shit, I saw a wild turkey and a flock of geese wandering around Sadr City. I even have pictures of it. (I meant there I tried going out shooting at night with strangers, not pig hunting! Ha!)
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Delta4-3 -

The PC police will be along to make sure you don't refer to them as 'feral' or as 'hogs' in the future.

jk  -  don't ban me bro
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A damage control permit from the local conservation officer will be required to hunt with NV and thermal, even on private property, in Alabama
View Quote

That is AWESOME to know! Thanks, I'll look into that.

More awesomeness coming up!

I just spoke with the District II office, and the permit is FREE. It permits full, legal hunting at NIGHT, **with** the use of NV gear. The landowner is the one who needs to apply for it, but there is no cost and as long as it can be shown that there are coyotes and / or feral hogs on the property the CO is likely to approve it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm interested but have to wait until next summer if group hunts become the norm I can drive down from KY for a weekend outing, thermal and NVG in tow.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd be interesting in going, I'm from Chattanooga and with summer coming up I have a little more free time to make a trip up there. I don't have any NV, but I've been on NV hunts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Be sure to get the Officer to write out that he approves NV, Thermal, suppressors etc.. that you will be using. I had a know it all one year try and get me locked up for using Suppressors. I had a verbal nod but the guy wasted the time of the CO with a bogus complaint to the head office.

Joke was on the Know it all.

Haters suck
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Be sure to get the Officer to write out that he approves NV, Thermal, suppressors etc.. that you will be using. I had a know it all one year try and get me locked up for using Suppressors. I had a verbal nod but the guy wasted the time of the CO with a bogus complaint to the head office.

Haters suck
View Quote

We all need to discuss these issues with our reps/fish and game/etc. If feral hogs are the problem the land managers say they are, why not go ahead and relax the hunting regs to allow night varmint hunts like so many other states have done? I realize there are enforcement concerns to make cases against poachers of game species, but those can be addressed as well. A friend of mine suggested a night requirement of IR beacons, like the hunter orange requirement for day hunts. That could address any percieved safety issues.

It would rock if we could hunt pigs at night in Alabama.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I would be fine with the night hunts being closed during gun season for deer.  Poaching issue solved.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We all need to discuss these issues with our reps/fish and game/etc. If feral hogs are the problem the land managers say they are, why not go ahead and relax the hunting regs to allow night varmint hunts like so many other states have done? I realize there are enforcement concerns to make cases against poachers of game species, but those can be addressed as well. A friend of mine suggested a night requirement of IR beacons, like the hunter orange requirement for day hunts. That could address any percieved safety issues.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haters suck

You can hunt Hogs in Alabama at night.
Just get permission and a permit.

They have backed off on the hoops you had to jump through to get a permit. But the permit system is still in place.
Everyone that has access to the place at night needs to be listed on the permit. There is your safety net right there.

The current system works.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:33:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'm in north Florida and I'm down for a road trip.

I have fun night gear and little laser things too!
View Quote

I'm in.  It might work out that I can pick you up on the way.

I have a PVS-14 and an LWTS (which I just got.)  Laser things too!  The thermal goes on my suppressed Grendel in front of a 4X ACOG.

I can trailer my ATV up there as well.  E-mail sent, OP.

May I suggest that we all invest in an IR beacon, even if we don't have NV.  I've never done this before, but it seems that working in 2-man teams would be appropriate.  Anyone without NV would need to be cleared to shoot by someone who has it, and who is scouting downrange.

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Alabama needs to learn a thing or two about night hog hunting from Florida.

As I understand it, on private land in Florida, there are NO restrictions, NO limits, NO prohibitions (NV, thermal, lasers, IR lights, etc), NO permits required, NO weapon limitations, etc.

It's like a frickin' hog-killin' free-fer-all at night in 'rida.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Strongly suggest you stay together and designate two or at most three shooters for each bunch of pigs you encounter.  After the first shot the pigs will scatter and it gets really crazy, no telling which way they will run.  Check out BushmanLA's video(Bad Life Decisions) in this thread if you want to see what can happen - Thermal Hog Kills...Videos...post yours here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Alabama needs to learn a thing or two about night hog hunting from Florida.

As I understand it, on private land in Florida, there are NO restrictions, NO limits, NO prohibitions (NV, thermal, lasers, IR lights, etc), NO permits required, NO weapon limitations, etc.

It's like a frickin' hog-killin' free-fer-all at night in 'rida.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Strongly suggest you stay together and designate two or at most three shooters for each bunch of pigs you encounter.  After the first shot the pigs will scatter and it gets really crazy, no telling which way they will run.  Check out BushmanLA's video(Bad Life Decisions) in this thread if you want to see what can happen - Thermal Hog Kills...Videos...post yours here.
View Quote

Good points! We don't want anyone spraying and praying in the melee of mowing down those evil bass turds.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, when we went we had two designated shooters for each group. Spotter calls go, and the shooters start on the outside hogs, and then you pick off runners that go left if you're the left shooter, and vice versa. Easy peasy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top